Tyler Cook Denver Pre-Draft Workout Interview

The European players getting drafted are...Europeans. They aren't Americans who went overseas first. The lone exceptions are lottery guys like Brandon Jennings and Emmanuel Mudiay. Comparing Cook to Doncic is silly.
Not comparing anyone. If you really think I am....you need to go back to school for an education.

Athletes, non-athletes leave college to pursue their dreams all the time. I don't have an issue with that. What is problematic is if he thinks he can't get the coaching, exposure, etc. that he needs to get to the NBA by coming back. If that's the case, that is on Fran.
In 8 seasons, how many has Fran had drafted?

Not comparing anyone. If you really think I am....you need to go back to school for an education.

"Yeah.....because nobody that plays in Europe ever gets drafted by the NBA. You might wanna take a look at the name at the top of many mock drafts. Pay particular attention to his place of origin."

You referenced Doncic when discussing players coming from Europe to the NBA as an argument of sorts about how Cook could come back to play in the NBA. I'm not sure why you referenced Doncic if you weren't trying to compare the situations.

Regardless, I hope Cook stays, but I've prepared myself for him leaving. It's not like Iowa will be worse without him.

"Yeah.....because nobody that plays in Europe ever gets drafted by the NBA. You might wanna take a look at the name at the top of many mock drafts. Pay particular attention to his place of origin."

You referenced Doncic when discussing players coming from Europe to the NBA as an argument of sorts about how Cook could come back to play in the NBA. I'm not sure why you referenced Doncic if you weren't trying to compare the situations.

Regardless, I hope Cook stays, but I've prepared myself for him leaving. It's not like Iowa will be worse without him.
That's not a player comparison, chief. That does not in any way compare Tyler Cook to Doncic. Go back to school and get an education.

Athletes, non-athletes leave college to pursue their dreams all the time. I don't have an issue with that. What is problematic is if he thinks he can't get the coaching, exposure, etc. that he needs to get to the NBA by coming back. If that's the case, that is on Fran.
Yeah I can see a case for that. Honestly what I think would be best for his game on the court would be playing in the G league. Getting that NBA style game against that competition with coaches that are knocking on the door of the NBA themselves. I think that would be better for his game than another year of college under Fran as far as he developing himself. Now that could probably be said for most college coaches not at Duke, UNC, KS MSU etc. There's probably 10 or so of them if I were to think harder about it but yeah Frans not on that list. Would Cook rather do that for about 50k for a year or go to Europe and make more $. He could probably make no less than twice that over there maybe 3 or 4 times that. But is the game as good? Is the coaching going to help develop him for what his ultimate goal is? The Euro game just doesn't fit who he is. He's not a spread the court and either shoot outside or dribble drive kind of guy at all. Now maybe the Euro game isn't what I'm stereotyping it as being so much anymore but to me that's what he's kinda deciding between for next yr is those two things since coming back to Iowa and getting on an NBA roster right away don't seem to be on the table.

I guess you have to look at players that have made it to the NBA who played for Fran and go by that. I am not a big NBA fan especially of late. I was a Bulls fan back during Jordan’s reign, but when the bulls faded away I lost interest. A person gets tired wasting time following hapless sports teams or programs.

Iowa is close to if not already there of being a hapless sports program. The BTN has significantly contributed to this by giving sixty million to all the schools in our conference. Back in the day a schools income was determined by the level of success (and donors) that was generated. This put a lot of pressure on AD’s and coaches to be successful. Now the money gushes in regardless of performance. The Big Ten Network was the best thing that ever happened to Gary Barta.

If Cook isn't even listed as a top 100 NBA prospect then is getting on a G League roster a realistic option? Now maybe after people pull their names out of the draft he will be in the top 100 on some lists, but I still don't know that 40 to 50 new pros get roster spots on a G League team. I'm just trying to look at this realistically. Hopefully the NBA teams are being honest with Tyler.

If he developed a jump shot I think he'd be a pretty similar prospect to OG Anunoby who had a great year
OG was an elite college defender who has the lateral quickness to switch on to guards and the strength to guard posts, making him perfect for the NBA game. Tyler is a below average college defender right now.

If I'm TC, I come back to college and focus exclusively on defense and rebounding, and mold myself into Reggie Evans. Hustle and toughness guys can make it in the NBA, if they're really good at D and rebounding.

If Cook isn't even listed as a top 100 NBA prospect then is getting on a G League roster a realistic option? Now maybe after people pull their names out of the draft he will be in the top 100 on some lists, but I still don't know that 40 to 50 new pros get roster spots on a G League team. I'm just trying to look at this realistically. Hopefully the NBA teams are being honest with Tyler.

The G-League is aggressively expanding...they added 3 new teams in '16-17, 4 new teams in '17-18, and 1 new team in '18-19 (Wizards). A grand total of 27 G-league teams this coming season.

27 teams, each with a roster of around 12-14 guys (depending on flex and 2-way contracts), is around 350-400 players. I'd assume there would be a spot for Cook somewhere in there. Most players don't stick in the G-league for too long. They either chase the money in Europe, get called up to the NBA, or wash out of the program.

The G-League is aggressively expanding...they added 3 new teams in '16-17, 4 new teams in '17-18, and 1 new team in '18-19 (Wizards). A grand total of 27 G-league teams this coming season.

27 teams, each with a roster of around 12-14 guys (depending on flex and 2-way contracts), is around 350-400 players. I'd assume there would be a spot for Cook somewhere in there. Most players don't stick in the G-league for too long. They either chase the money in Europe, get called up to the NBA, or wash out of the program.

27 teams but very few fans really care about it. I get that NBA scouts care, and that the $30K or whatever he'd make there might be nice but it still seems like his best bet to get to the show would be to come back.

But then I'm a middle-aged white guy so I can't really relate to what he's going through.

I think they are doubling how much they are paying for it too. It sounded like they only were paying about 26k for them last yr but it'll be around 50 this next one... Still a paycut for the Louisville recruits but...

27 teams but very few fans really care about it. I get that NBA scouts care, and that the $30K or whatever he'd make there might be nice but it still seems like his best bet to get to the show would be to come back.

But then I'm a middle-aged white guy so I can't really relate to what he's going through.

I think they are doubling how much they are paying for it too. It sounded like they only were paying about 26k for them last yr but it'll be around 50 this next one... Still a paycut for the Louisville recruits but...

League minimum for the G-League is $35,000 this coming year. On top of the salary they get housing and insurance paid for. Sure it doesn't sound like a lot of money, but its only for 5 months of basketball. So they get $7,000 a month plus housing and insurance.

Its not a terrible way to start your career to be honest...with the upside being you can focus on basketball all day rather than having limited amounts of practices and coaching and also have to go to classes you don't care about.

League minimum for the G-League is $35,000 this coming year. On top of the salary they get housing and insurance paid for. Sure it doesn't sound like a lot of money, but its only for 5 months of basketball. So they get $7,000 a month plus housing and insurance.

Its not a terrible way to start your career to be honest...with the upside being you can focus on basketball all day rather than having limited amounts of practices and coaching and also have to go to classes you don't care about.
It's a legit option I think.. Can kids skip the one year of college to do that or do they still have to do that since it's NBA affiliated? There's a lot of kids that just aren't great students that'd rather not go through that dog and pony show if they can help it.

It's a legit option I think.. Can kids skip the one year of college to do that or do they still have to do that since it's NBA affiliated? There's a lot of kids that just aren't great students that'd rather not go through that dog and pony show if they can help it.

Actually this year the first kid is doing just that. Darius Bazley. Hes skipping college and going straight to the g league. As per current rules he cant be drafted yet so he'll just have to sign on with a g league team and then enter the draft the following year.

If he ends up going high up in the draft I expect a lot more to do just that

To me, the only thing he may be debating is having to go to school if he comes back to Iowa. If he focuses just on basketball and his body...is that better for him at this point. I would have to say for most players...the pressure of the college game prepares you for the NBA. Going into some of the B10 arenas is a tough spot for the opposing team. Handling that is a serious positive.

The one thing I haven't read too much about is what he says about the team coming back next year at Iowa...is that a positive or negative. I'm sure what he may say publicly is one thing...how he feels may be different.

OG was an elite college defender who has the lateral quickness to switch on to guards and the strength to guard posts, making him perfect for the NBA game. Tyler is a below average college defender right now.
I wouldn't go that far in OG's favor and against TC, he's lacking more in effort on the defensive end than anything

Actually this year the first kid is doing just that. Darius Bazley. Hes skipping college and going straight to the g league. As per current rules he cant be drafted yet so he'll just have to sign on with a g league team and then enter the draft the following year.

If he ends up going high up in the draft I expect a lot more to do just that
That's so dumb to me from a logic standpoint. Doesn't that just go to prove that the NBA only cares about protecting themselves from drafting busts (not that it does that anyway) You can't let kids play for 35k a yr instead and say your 'protecting' them. Letting them get drafted and sign a multi million dollar deal would help them more than that does... If they financially waste that then that's on them there's no protecting anyone from that.
But if I'm a player and I don't want to go to school and would rather focus on ball the injury risk is the same. These guys would be up for endorsments as well. So we'll see if that option catches on more.

Latest posts