Two Deeps Released

Isn't this pretty much how it is every year ?

Iowa has been pretty fortunate with the health of their safeties (at least while they're playing at Iowa, get better Brett)

That might have something to due with the scheme?

Anyway, I'm not too worried about the safety spot. When was the last time Iowa had a bad safety? Have they had more than 2 bad safeties play significant minutes in the entire time Ferentz has been here?

It would be interesting to have a former quarterback at punter. Not that Kirk runs many fake punts but it would at least be a threat I would think. No Carl Davis did surprise me as did moving Morris back inside ahead of Alston. As we all know, the 2 deeps are rarely a good indicator of who will be starting (looking at you captain of the two-deep allstars, Jason White) but there are some interesting names in there for the first time.
Morris moving back to the middle was the thing that stood out to me. The linebackers played much better with him on the outside last year.

we ran out of Tyler nielson

Morris moving back to the middle was the thing that stood out to me. The linebackers played much better with him on the outside last year.

I still think Morris will be playing outside linebacker this year. They may have moved him back inside to give Alston someone to compete with.

Look back at past Iowa spring 2 deeps. Usually more about who is not injured and messages that need to be sent.

Don't put too much stock into it.

Although I have heard that Weinke has been really making a push at punter.

Nice to see MacMillan listed. Hope he can get back up to strength.

Melvin Spears as a 2nd string DE? Wasn't he recruited as a LB? Interesting that he is now listed as a DE.

Anyway, I'm not too worried about the safety spot. When was the last time Iowa had a bad safety? Have they had more than 2 bad safeties play significant minutes in the entire time Ferentz has been here?

I seem to remember Harold Dalton seemed to be caught out of position quite a bit. I think he was one of those given the benefit of the doubt because he was an upperclassmen before Tyler Sash (?) eventually took his job.

Melvin Spears as a 2nd string DE? Wasn't he recruited as a LB? Interesting that he is now listed as a DE.

Spears was a linebacker in highschool but was moved to DE rather quickly last year. With Alvis being questionable this year we will likely need him. The defensive line is worse than I thought. Every game will be like watching a Civil War movie when the cannon fires into the line from about 10 feet away. The fact that Carl Davis isn't listed is a very bad sign.

No Castillo!

Also, no white walk-ons starting either. Maybe things really are changing...

Spears was a linebacker in highschool but was moved to DE rather quickly last year. With Alvis being questionable this year we will likely need him. The defensive line is worse than I thought. Every game will be like watching a Civil War movie when the cannon fires into the line from about 10 feet away. The fact that Carl Davis isn't listed is a very bad sign.

I'm not sure about the Civil War analogy quite yet. I think we need to see how Phil Parker is going to approach the defense before we all cream our pants. All of the starting LB's are back and we have no idea if he's going to blitz more or stay in the same set as Norm. There is lot's of thing that could help or hurt the young defensive line and no one knows anything just yet.

Latest posts