Tweet

Also rumors floating out there that Bill O' Brien has offered Brian Ferentz a spot on his staff... i'm sure this tweet has legs, just a matter of who, what, where and how high up the chain

Well on top of all that's been mentioned. Iowa doesn't pay their assistants as well as alot of schools either... Besides jumping a sinking ship it may just be greener pastures depending on which assistants it is. It's just that time of year when coaches throw their names out there to test the waters and see what options they have.
Not sure if this is true but it would not surprise me. Where can you find that information? Thanks.

edit: Never mind. I found it. Michigan is a good example of having top paid assistant coaches not equaling more wins. Both coordinators are in the top 15 in the nation.
SEC has 36 of the top 100 paid assistant coaches.

Last edited:
Most, if not all of the coaches under Kirk seem to be happy enough to stay right where they are at collecting a check that clears for another 20 years....I do not see much ambition whatsoever to do anything more....maybe it's just me.

I love when people have no idea what they are talking about-

1. Ohio State
2. Michigan
3. Mich State
4. Iowa
5. Minny
6. Nebraska
7. Maryland
8. Rutgers
9. Wisconsin
10. Indiana
11. Illinois
12. Purdue

Northwestern being private didn't disclose but I can guarantee they are in the bottom half. And Penn State doesn't disclose because of some state of Pennsylvania rule. I would assume they would be in the same ballpark with Michigan and Michigan State.

So that would put Iowa at 5th, clearly not the best but far from "Iowa doesn't pay their assistants as well as alot of schools"

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

Iowa also pays their assistant coaches roughly 1/2 of what Arkansas pays theirs.

I love when people have no idea what they are talking about-

1. Ohio State
2. Michigan
3. Mich State
4. Iowa
5. Minny
6. Nebraska
7. Maryland
8. Rutgers
9. Wisconsin
10. Indiana
11. Illinois
12. Purdue

Northwestern being private didn't disclose but I can guarantee they are in the bottom half. And Penn State doesn't disclose because of some state of Pennsylvania rule. I would assume they would be in the same ballpark with Michigan and Michigan State.

So that would put Iowa at 5th, clearly not the best but far from "Iowa doesn't pay their assistants as well as alot of schools"

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

I looked at your link and maybe didn't click on the right button to sort them by schools like you have them, all I could see was overall or by individual assistant coaches. I'll assume you are correct.

I did find this link that shows the head coaches with "Staff pay total" which I assume is the assistants. Ferentz is the number 9 highest paid coach. Of the 20 teams with the highest paid head coaches, only 1 paid their assistants less then Iowa. 19th out of 20. So for the teams willing to pony up big time money for their coaches, it would appear that Iowa is lagging far behind in pay for assistants.

I hate it when people post things when they have no idea what they're talking about.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Also rumors floating out there that Bill O' Brien has offered Brian Ferentz a spot on his staff... i'm sure this tweet has legs, just a matter of who, what, where and how high up the chain

here it comes, the final middle finger from Kirk. Ship the ole son off and run that damn airplane right into the ground all the while getting paid $4million a year for the next 5.

phan00 - Usually right there with ya, but not sure why we would care....can you explain? I'm not that bright.

phan00 - Usually right there with ya, but not sure why we would care....can you explain? I'm not that bright.

No no, I don't care but he's protecting Brian by sending him somewhere where he will be successful while Kirk takes the controls of that plane and nose dives our program into darkness. That is all. We have like minds...

I looked at your link and maybe didn't click on the right button to sort them by schools like you have them, all I could see was overall or by individual assistant coaches. I'll assume you are correct.

I did find this link that shows the head coaches with "Staff pay total" which I assume is the assistants. Ferentz is the number 9 highest paid coach. Of the 20 teams with the highest paid head coaches, only 1 paid their assistants less then Iowa. 19th out of 20. So for the teams willing to pony up big time money for their coaches, it would appear that Iowa is lagging far behind in pay for assistants.

I hate it when people post things when they have no idea what they're talking about.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

I want to say I've read that Iowa pays it's position coaches pretty well, compared to most schools, but they skimp on the coordinators. I'm not positive on that, but I think that's what I've read somewhere along the line.

I want to say I've read that Iowa pays it's position coaches pretty well, compared to most schools, but they skimp on the coordinators. I'm not positive on that, but I think that's what I've read somewhere along the line.

I think the Iowa defensive line coach has proven he is an outstanding offensive line coach and recruiter. He should be able to get a job somewhere.

you click on the staff pay total column and it will sort them based on total staff payout. This will lump all of the staff's together. Then you just scroll down and see where teams are at.

Doing this shows that Iowa is in the top half of the B1G paying their assistants by total. However as TM pointed out they don't pay their coordinators a ton compared to a lot of schools but the rest of the staff makes more than many schools pay their non coordinator assistants.

All I was trying to point out is that Iowa pays it's assistants just fine (not compared to the SEC but to the rest of the B1G)

They are 28th in the country in assistant's pay. That puts them right in the middle of Power 5 school asst pay.

I never said they couldn't pay more to go after better assistants but they are far from the bottom of Power 5 conference schools.

you click on the staff pay total column and it will sort them based on total staff payout. This will lump all of the staff's together. Then you just scroll down and see where teams are at.

Doing this shows that Iowa is in the top half of the B1G paying their assistants by total. However as TM pointed out they don't pay their coordinators a ton compared to a lot of schools but the rest of the staff makes more than many schools pay their non coordinator assistants.

All I was trying to point out is that Iowa pays it's assistants just fine (not compared to the SEC but to the rest of the B1G)

They are 28th in the country in assistant's pay. That puts them right in the middle of Power 5 school asst pay.

I never said they couldn't pay more to go after better assistants but they are far from the bottom of Power 5 conference schools.

And its not like the coordinators were in a great position to argue for higher pay. One was on the cusps of retirement after being fired and another unproven. But was Norm Parker making a decent amount?

And its not like the coordinators were in a great position to argue for higher pay. One was on the cusps of retirement after being fired and another unproven. But was Norm Parker making a decent amount?

I think Norm declined some money because his health would not allow him to go recruiting.

Not sure if it's legit but...

"Not sure what's going on in Iowa 3 separate BCS Head Coaches have told me Iowa assistants have contacted them about jobs this off season"

Morehouse retweeted it but it was an MSU guy.

Please don't mistake this as a Backstreet Boys quote... But quit playing games with my heart! I have one that sits atop of my list.

I think Norm declined some money because his health would not allow him to go recruiting.

Well there are a few members of this current staff that owe the U a heck of a refund then. Not only are there recruiting results bad the effort is bad as well, and the entire basketball recruiting effort is a complete embarrassment.

I agree with that.

Latest posts