Tweet about Ferentz Contract

Darren Rovell @darrenrovell · 17h 17 hours ago

If Iowa fired Ferentz now, it would owe him $221,875 PER MONTH for 60 months ($13,312,500). Amount DOESN'T reduce if he got another job

arren Rovell @darrenrovell · 17h 17 hours ago Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz is due a $525,000 longevity bonus in 29 days.

KF should be inducted into the coaches hall of fame for securing this contract.

Jeez. Fire Barta.

I would question someone stating it is not offset by another salary. That is almost always in any deal.

I would question someone stating it is not offset by another salary. That is almost always in any deal.

I've read the contract...it specifically states payout not allowed to be offset by future earnings. Only one I've ever seen and it's probably the only one in existence.

Barta should go along with Ferentz. Heck I'd be thrilled if Sally Mason left also.

It's just time for a complete overhaul. The Iowa football program and it's administration are all like a loaf of bread that got left out for a week. It's stale. There's absolutely nothing appetizing about it anymore. It's embarrassing to be a Hawkeye fan right now because the reality is there will probably be no changes and we're gonna be forced to accept this poor product.

Might be why Rovell put so much emphasis on DOESN'T; it'd be way out of the ordinary. But seriously, this contract was handed out by Barta. Would anyone really be surprised if he decided to have it in the contract that the buyout stays the same, regardless of whether Ferentz got another job?

That was some Shrewd negotiation by Iowa. I'm thinking Barta owns a 97 Taurus he paid $40,000 for after opting for the anti rust package.

So, IMHO I'd say pay KF this year and fire Barta. Then next year, if KF has a similar season, fire him too but with a new AD in place. Anyways, just my opinion as an "outsider" (aka cyclone fan that also roots for the hawkeys).

Barta has 28 days to save some face. A dull-razor skinning under cheekbone of the face.
But at least some face.

So, if KF isn't fired by the end of January, he's back for another year.
No. KF could be fired Feb 12 and get paid 550K longevity benefit (that would be not only irony but the Barta way) AND 230K per month for life.

or could be fired Feb 12 and get paid 550K longevity benefit (above) AND call JG Wentworth.

Wow, what a contract! That clause about no payout offset by future earnings is shocking and must be unprecedented. How could Barta have agreed to that? What was he being threatened with? Forget firing Ferentz, Barta is the one that should be fired. Absolutely.

Wow, what a contract! That clause about no payout offset by future earnings is shocking and must be unprecedented. How could Barta have agreed to that? What was he being threatened with? Forget firing Ferentz, Barta is the one that should be fired. Absolutely.
Yeah, that is the most asinine clause in the history of sports.

The silver lining that hasn't been talked about is that there is a non-compete clause for the duration of the contract. That means he can't go to a Big5 conference. Heck, that might mean he can't go to a MAC/Sun Belt program because Iowa has had a tough time competing against those types of teams.
(j/k)

I've read the contract...it specifically states payout not allowed to be offset by future earnings. Only one I've ever seen and it's probably the only one in existence.

First sentence is true, second is not. Section 11: "The above sums will not be reduced in the event of Coach's subsequent employment during the period covered by this Contract."

http://archive.hawkcentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/ferentzcontract.pdf

By contrast Brady Hoke's contract not only deducts future earnings but requires him to seek employment to mitigate the buyout. Section 4.01b:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/assets/PDF/CD73392330.PDF

Same for Jim Mora, Section 12a: http://documents.latimes.com/ucla-head-football-coach-jim-moras-contract/

But Urban Meyer, like Ferentz, keeps the full buyout if OSU terminates him. Section 5.2: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...2012-13/misc_non_event/UrbanMeyerContract.pdf

Somebody else can Google some more.

That clause is so that Barta/Mason can fund the hospital and sundry other charities thru an intermediary in perpetuity. Everyone wins.

(except on the field)

The fact is almost anyone would become a fat cat with that contract. There's no incentive to keep from getting fired and not much to win. The only real incentive is to not breach the contract. Maybe that's why KF doesn't deal with any player that might be a problem. It's too inconvenient for him and there's nothing for him to gain from the headache.

Fire Barta and bring in someone to act like KF's boss, someone with a lot of football knowledge. I still think KF has to listen to the AD or he could be in breach of his contract, I'm guessing.

Is it possible that KF wants to get fired?

The way this contract works, the best position Kirk can be in is fired by Iowa and employed by a different university.

My opinion is Barta hasn't earned the right to fire Ferentz. Of course he has it, but really doesn't in a practical sense.

Ferentz was in place before he arrived, provided cover for him when other decisions Barta made went south-fast.

Ferentz and his success on the field, along with Foundation staff, raised the money for Kinnick renovations, and the new complex, not Barta.

Obviously others will have different opinions, especially the posters that use cute nicknames for our current staff, but mine is : Ferentz deserves to operate out of the new digs he envisioned, fought for, pushed for, raised money for. ... Essentially built....at least for one year.. Despite the malaise, he has earned this opportunity in my opinion.

If we/you/institution wants movement it should considering dismissal of the AD who presented that contract and produced few titles under his watch. That is the politically savvy move, and the more pragmatic move. Canning what will likely be CFBHOF coach(yes, hard to imagine now, but he will be seriously considered), and giving the hire to a poor preforming AD is a no win for the institution or the AD. People will fondly remember KF as soon as he is gone.

The new AD after they are hired is one year closer to end of the crazy contract, has one year of evaluating KF, getting to know the state, program, institution.

It gives a coach who has won multiple COY awards, in top Ten of B1G wins ever, led a team to lots of bowl games, created lots of memories, led facility upgrades that will serve all of us for years, given back very generously to the community, institution, etc. one last chance at leaving on his terms, in a way we all hoped for at one point in time.

There is a piece of many of us that would love to see KF have a solid upward run these next couple of years. There is also doubt. In either case a new AD has the flexibility to bring in their own person, or ride it if things go in a better direction after their first year on the job.

Barta, in my opinion doesn't have the same flexibility.... No professional capital to get rid of KF or hire his replacement

Fire Barta and bring in someone to act like KF's boss, someone with a lot of football knowledge.
Barry Alvarez?

He has the resume:

1. running backs
check.

2. running coaches off.
check

3. winning.
check

There ya' go.

Barry Alvarez?

He has the resume:

1. running backs
check.

2. running coaches off.
check

3. winning.
check

There ya' go.

Barry Alvarez would be perfect for our situation but I'm not sure he'd come back to Iowa. Maybe if we'd pay him more than Wiscy. It would be cheaper than firing KF. He'd be around just long enough to make KF's life uncomfortable and hire the next coach. If not Alvarez, someone exactly like that.

Latest posts