Tubby Smith might be canned

Hawkfnntn

And he has a buyout showing he's got over 9 million coming his way if Memphis decides to go that route. The locals all want Penny to replace him. If the ghetto that is Memphis can pony up (he's getting 3 million a year) to get rid of dead weight then Iowa can't use that as an excuse to not do the same anyway. This guy has a resume Fran only wishes he had. Granted he hasn't been all that great recently (hence why most want him out) but if your just comparing wins and rings it's not even close. They haven't pulled the trigger yet but there's smoke...
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ng-firing-tubby-smith-bringing-penny-hardaway

There is no question that Iowa fan "afford" to get rid of Fran any time they'd like. Contracts are signed to be broken and very few of them ever go through completion.

There is no question that Iowa fan "afford" to get rid of Fran any time they'd like. Contracts are signed to be broken and very few of them ever go through completion.
Fran is going nowhere. Debating it, or even imagining it out loud, makes one as credible/knowledgeable a Hawk fan as the people who complain about Ferentz's wages being paid from tax money since he's a public employee.

Fran is going nowhere. Debating it, or even imagining it out loud, makes one as credible/knowledgeable a Hawk fan as the people who complain about Ferentz's wages being paid from tax money since he's a public employee.

ok? I agree with you. I didn't debate or imagine anything out loud. I said, Iowa could afford it. They can. Contracts are signed to be broken, they are. It's pretty rare for any contract to go the length of terms.

For good reason. How many other schools have pulled what Bowlsby did to Mr. Davis? Hanging him out to dry as a lame duck like that was a pretty classless thing to do to the classiest of people that's ever coached. Most programs probably don't allow for their guy to have less then 4 yrs on their deals. It's just the common sense way to do it. Iowa's ADs haven't exactly used any of that when it comes to doing their jobs.
In regards to Fran obviously we all know Barta loves him and he's not going anywhere. The contract extension and timing of it is proof enough of that. I just don't want folks to think Iowa couldn't fire him due to the $ aspect of it. It's possible if they'd be willing to just do it. But he don't and here we are.

If Iowa wins 4 B1G games next season and has a year like we just experienced, you are absolutely, 1000% being untrue to your thoughts that Iowa wouldn't consider firing Fran. Will they? I don't know that. It's not my job to know that. I don't speculate or consider it or want my credibility revoked by Fryowa! But people act like Iowa puts up with "horrible" for sustained years from their revenue sports. They don't. They might award mediocre - over pay for coaches, but they aren't going to hesitate to make a move if things are miserable. It's still ultimately a results based business. The money of his buy out is definitely a consideration but Iowa will happily pay whatever it takes to get rid of a bad product. A contract is agreed to in the first place with both sides knowing it might not work out.

If Iowa wins 4 B1G games next season and has a year like we just experienced, you are absolutely, 1000% being untrue to your thoughts that Iowa wouldn't consider firing Fran. Will they? I don't know that. It's not my job to know that. I don't speculate or consider it or want my credibility revoked by Fryowa! But people act like Iowa puts up with "horrible" for sustained years from their revenue sports. They don't. They might award mediocre - over pay for coaches, but they aren't going to hesitate to make a move if things are miserable. It's still ultimately a results based business. The money of his buy out is definitely a consideration but Iowa will happily pay whatever it takes to get rid of a bad product. A contract is agreed to in the first place with both sides knowing it might not work out.
That will be the $64k question. Part of me for curiosities sake would like to know the answer to that. But the fan in me doesn't want that to play out one bit. As bad/ugly as this year was I sure as hell don't want a repeat of it because apathy has sorta started creeping in I think. Once that gets a foothold there's no chance Fran could reboot it or any coach pretty much in that spot. For whatever reason once your past that point of no return and you lose the fan base and ability to recruit your done and a new coach/culture has to be implemented to build it back up.

Four wins or so next year, Fran's temper getting out of control again during games, plus Fran whiffing on all the top PG recruits and X Foster means they'd weigh the pros and cons of firing Fran a year from now. That's about the best that can be said.

Four wins or so next year, Fran's temper getting out of control again during games, plus Fran whiffing on all the top PG recruits and X Foster means they'd weigh the pros and cons of firing Fran a year from now. That's about the best that can be said.
I actually thought Fran's temper this year on the sidelines was more chill then in past yrs... I'm curious if anyone agrees with me on that but it seemed like he was really just resigned to the fact this team stunk and going all Bobby Knight on them and the refs would have been pointless. Don't get me wrong he had a few moments out there this year as well but just I thought he had more fire in his belly when we were winning more and had more on the line to play for each time out. (pretty much human nature)

Rumor came to fruition. Tubbys out. Countdown till Penny takes over has started. Will it be weird if when he gets the gig if the players are wearing lil Pennys shoes?

I actually thought Fran's temper this year on the sidelines was more chill then in past yrs... I'm curious if anyone agrees with me on that but it seemed like he was really just resigned to the fact this team stunk and going all Bobby Knight on them and the refs would have been pointless. Don't get me wrong he had a few moments out there this year as well but just I thought he had more fire in his belly when we were winning more and had more on the line to play for each time out. (pretty much human nature)

I agree with you to some extent as he didn't seem as harsh with the team on the court as I can remember in years past although like you say he did have moments. I just remember too many times this season the camera panning to him during a time out and you would see him complaining to the officials often over calls that seemed borderline bad. I get the feeling watching our games that many refs simply don't like him or have become tired of his act. I think that hurts us and adds to Fran's generally poor game management.

I agree with you to some extent as he didn't seem as harsh with the team on the court as I can remember in years past although like you say he did have moments. I just remember too many times this season the camera panning to him during a time out and you would see him complaining to the officials often over calls that seemed borderline bad. I get the feeling watching our games that many refs simply don't like him or have become tired of his act. I think that hurts us and adds to Fran's generally poor game management.
Yeah I'd have rather he coach up the kids rather then nag in the refs ears as much as he did. There's no doubt about it refs have their own egos. That's a different topic for a different convo but yeah it sure doesn't help

A good friend of mine is a Big score keeper. Fran he says has the worst floor demeanor of the Big coaches without hesitation. He hates it when Fran interacts. Also says Izzo has a way of getting upset but does it such that it isnt personal unlike Fran. Izzo is quite personable. He for sure thinks Fran is in his own category.

So I would guess...yes Fran causes tge team issues. He also thinks Cook and JBo are among the leagues best but they get masked some...especially Cook. He just doesnt get much help.

A good friend of mine is a Big score keeper. Fran he says has the worst floor demeanor of the Big coaches without hesitation. He hates it when Fran interacts. Also says Izzo has a way of getting upset but does it such that it isnt personal unlike Fran. Izzo is quite personable. He for sure thinks Fran is in his own category.

So I would guess...yes Fran causes tge team issues. He also thinks Cook and JBo are among the leagues best but they get masked some...especially Cook. He just doesnt get much help.
Fran's antics at the Kohl Center several years ago crossed that line of embarrassing. It happened over a TV timeout so viewers got a truncated version. I was there. I thought he was going to take a swing at one of them.

He gave up this year like the team did. Remember he got ejected earlier in the year for the first time in years and then by the end there was no fire.

Further clarification of above comment. I don't want Fran fired. I want him to control his temper!
Documented fact: Iowa is now 341 out of 351 teams in the KenPom category of "luck". They have finished in the bottom 10% four of the eight seasons Fran has been here. The odds of that being purely chance have to be next to impossible. Kenpom's luck formula weighs heavily toward performance in close games. The Minnesota game last year is a perfect example of not getting a call in a close game (and that halftime tip was after the buzzer too). Everyone questions our effectiveness in close games and there have been physical issues not being able to inbound, etc. I wonder how many times we have been at least subconsciously screwed because officials wanted to stick it to our coach. I mean, when people at the scorer's table are noticing it one can only wonder.

He gave up this year like the team did. Remember he got ejected earlier in the year for the first time in years and then by the end there was no fire.
Not necessarily disagreeing (players) but if anyone on this team quit they are stupid. They're all back next year barring transfers. Playing time is going to be even tighter next year. All quitting would do is give the coaches a reason to cut a player's minutes for next year.

No way did the coaches give up. We would like to think they did because it rationalizes failure as well as our own frustration but not too many adult professionals are going to shortchange their livelihood.

Last edited:

I seem to remember the assistant coaches having to hold him back from chasing the refs down after what Fran thought were bad calls later in the season.

I do think after the one time he was kicked out early in the season and it got national pub someone talked with him about it and he toned it down. Toned it down for Fran anyway.

That and he had nothing to fight for. He already had a deal behind closed doors. I personally can't stand Frans sidleline demeanor, he's embarrassing. Then his smug response about his "body of work" smh

That and he had nothing to fight for. He already had a deal behind closed doors. I personally can't stand Frans sidleline demeanor, he's embarrassing. Then his smug response about his "body of work" smh
Can't argue with the middle sentence of your post. It's consistent with what I've been saying. Scary when the word "smug" comes up in regards to an Iowa coach. Smug is the very definition of what we had about a decade and a half ago.

Latest posts