Trouble with Saturday's BSU game....

SDK46

....we're not going to get a true read on what our team is all about.

Yes, yes...a nice blowout win, coupled with a belly full of Natty Lite on Saturday will do wonders for fanbase-self-esteem issues, but little else.

I'd rather play PSU right now to see where the hell we are.

Yes, yes...a nice blowout win, coupled with a belly full of Natty Lite on Saturday will do wonders for fanbase-self-esteem issues, but little else.

I'd rather the Hawks play an opponent who they can work on some things against as opposed to a fired-up Nits team. Ball State is the perfect antidote for what ails the Hawks right now.

Ideally, the Hawks will get 4 or 5 chances to send the kickoff team out there.

I'd rather the Hawks play an opponent who they can work on some things against as opposed to a fired-up Nits team. Ball State is the perfect antidote for what ails the Hawks right now.

Bingo.

Well, the big test comes only one week later against Penn State, so what is the big rush? We need the week to get some people healthy, and hopefully to rest some starters if we get a big lead.

I would caution you, Ball State had Purdue on the ropes. Did you watch that game? You should have. Ball State is not a sure thing.

I would caution you, Ball State had Purdue on the ropes. Did you watch that game? You should have. Ball State is not a sure thing.

No such thing as a sure thing in college football. Meeechigan struggling against UMASS this week comes to mind. Michigan State showing a set of balls in OT to beat Notre Dame (Thank God. Well done Sparty) comes to mind.

However, make no mistake about the Iowa/Ball St. game. This is all about Iowa. This is all about execution of the game plan, playing well on the field and learning from the Arizona loss.

No offense to BSU. But they are exactly what Iowa needs right now - a team that Iowa should beat provided Iowa plays well.

Well, the big test comes only one week later against Penn State, so what is the big rush? We need the week to get some people healthy, and hopefully to rest some starters if we get a big lead.

Ball State will throw all kinds of looks at the Hawks on Saturday.They will have few different guys getting the snap in the Wild cat and they also run funky formations.
This could be a tough go for the Hawks in the first half.We will just have to wait and see how this team comes out ,add to it they will be wearing different uni's.Ball state might come in thinking they can play with us after hanging with Purdue.

Iowa "should" come out on Saturday and punish Ball State. I don't me "should" as in that's what they will do, I mean should as in that's what their mindset needs to be.

Iowa now has something to prove. They need to prove that they deserved the preseason hype, they need to prove that they're better than a blocked punt, a pick 6, and a 101 yard kick-off return, they need to prove that they're not all talk and no swagger.

Proving this won't be done in one game, but as I see it over the course of the next four. Crushing Ball State this week will be the first step. Destroying Penn State the following week won't hurt. Roll into Michigan and expose them for the fraud that they are and then beat Wisconsin at home.

After that anything can/will happen.

Go Hawks!

Have to agree to disagree.

1st-team Hawks get to play an opponent all week long who are/is better than BSU....Iowa's 1st and/or 2nd team.

Playing BSU is a step down. Less of a challenge than Eastern Illinois.

It's going to prove nothing to play them on Saturday. A true throw away game.

I like the fact we have an opponen in ball state coming to town. yes they are no PSU or even ISU, but they will provide Iowa with a different look and also will try to kick the hawks while their down. Ball state is not that good, they lost to Div 2 presbyterian i think or Liberty one of those two schools.

This game will give Iowa to get some players some quality playing time. I wouldn't be surprised to see Iowa shuffle their OLINE during the game, I wouldn't be surprised to see Iowa mix up some stuff on the defensive side of the ball either. Also it will give our special teams a chance to get some reps against a different opponent. I know it will look like a GLORIFIED scrimmage, but any chance to play anyone is good for a team that just got beat.

Have to agree to disagree.

1st-team Hawks get to play an opponent all week long who are/is better than BSU....Iowa's 1st and/or 2nd team.

Playing BSU is a step down. Less of a challenge than Eastern Illinois.

It's going to prove nothing to play them on Saturday. A true throw away game.

Ok, look at it this way. With all the problems that Iowa had on special teams on Saturday, would you rather they play a team like Ball State whom they should beat rather easily and can also work on some things against, or a team like PSU who might be able to exploit said weaknesses?

You can disagree, but you're in the minority.

No such thing as a sure thing in college football. Meeechigan struggling against UMASS this week comes to mind. Michigan State showing a set of balls in OT to beat Notre Dame (Thank God. Well done Sparty) comes to mind.

However, make no mistake about the Iowa/Ball St. game. This is all about Iowa. This is all about execution of the game plan, playing well on the field and learning from the Arizona loss.

No offense to BSU. But they are exactly what Iowa needs right now - a team that Iowa should beat provided Iowa plays well.

Remeber when VA tech had that loss to Boise State, then played James Madison the next week and lost! hmmm:confused:

Remeber when VA tech had that loss to Boise State, then played James Madison the next week and lost! hmmm:confused:

Oh, I remember. It wasn't that long ago. The JMU game was much like our Ball State game.

V-Tech didn't play good football. Missed tackles were the theme of the day for Tech, and three turnovers - including a fumble at the JMU 19 late in the game - did Tech in. Tech didn't execute.

“We need to block better and we need to tackle better,â€￾ Frank Beamer said after his team’s first home loss in 33 games against a non-league opponent. “Execute. We need to execute.â€￾

That game was about the Hokies. They beat themselves.

This weekend's game in Kinnick will be about the Hawks. If they execute, they win by three touchdowns or more. If not, it will be either a skin-of-the-teeth win or loss.

Ok, look at it this way. With all the problems that Iowa had on special teams on Saturday, would you rather they play a team like Ball State whom they should beat rather easily and can also work on some things against, or a team like PSU who might be able to exploit said weaknesses?

You can disagree, but you're in the minority.
My point is...at this time of year, playing against BSU isn't a true test for the PSU's coming up.

It's a throwaway game.

Natty Lite? Thats...thats just a shame.

Natty Lite? Thats...thats just a shame.

Agreed. NL is a AB product, but it's barley-water. There are better "cheap beers" out there.

And since it's a Hawkeye football game - a special event - nut up and buy the good stuff!

My point is...at this time of year, playing against BSU isn't a true test for the PSU's coming up.

It's a throwaway game.

It is, but after last week I want to see two things, execution and tenacity. I want them to come out and put it to Ball State and show the emotional effect of last week had a positive outcome, but continuing to play sharp and fundamentally sound football.