Trivia: Best Iowa QB in NFL

99topdawg

The trivia question of the day is:

Of all NFL QB's that played at Iowa, which had the highest Approximate Value in the NFL, which is a stat similar to baseball's WAR?

If you said of all the QBs who played at Iowa who also played in the NFL... I'd say trick question, Ed Podolak by far. But you said of all NFL QBs...that played at Iowa.

As it is...I'll go with Mark Vlasic, there aren't many choices and he had the longest career.

It's not Vlasic, which was also my guess. It's not Podolak. It's an NFL QB. Sorry for the wording.

It's not Vlasic, which was also my guess. It's not Podolak. It's an NFL QB. Sorry for the wording.

Hmmm, the options are few. Several pre-Hayden QBs were drafted but played in other leagues. Has to be Long, despite his rough career.

You can see why I clarified...it would be a great trick question if you were talking about guys who had played QB at Iowa (Podolak played a little QB at Iowa, but was a stud RB in the NFL)

It's a trick a question.......I don't know ....Randy Duncan? Do I even have the right Duncan?

It's really not a trick question, just a tough one. I ran across the top QB from a pile of schools and was surprised. I'll say it's someone I've never heard of, but I'm not exactly a Hawkeye historian. I go back to about '80 and know that Randy Duncan was drafted 1st overall, so maybe he is a guy others have heard of.

It's really not a trick question, just a tough one. I ran across the top QB from a pile of schools and was surprised. I'll say it's someone I've never heard of, but I'm not exactly a Hawkeye historian. I go back to about '80 and know that Randy Duncan was drafted 1st overall, so maybe he is a guy others have heard of.

So...are you saying Randy Duncan? He was great college QB, All-American. But he never played in the NFL.

So...are you saying Randy Duncan? He was great college QB, All-American. But he never played in the NFL.

It's not Randy Duncan. It's someone I've never heard of, which, for pre-Hayden times, isn't saying much. He played 14 seasons (from what I can tell) and was All-Pro once, so maybe I should have heard of him?

It's not Randy Duncan. It's someone I've never heard of, which, for pre-Hayden times, isn't saying much. He played 14 seasons (from what I can tell) and was All-Pro once, so maybe I should have heard of him?

OK, give it up! You're killin' me...

It's Rudy Bukich. From what I can tell, he played at Iowa and USC. I really don't know to what extent, though. Found more about his pro career than college. Played many years for the Bears in 2 stints, plus played for 4 or 5 other teams. Was All-Pro in 1964.

I found this in an online trivia contest and people were filling the obvious ones, but no one knew Iowa. Nobody ever got the answer, so I thought I'd try on here. Has anyone ever heard of him or know anything about his time at Iowa?

Rudy Bukich never played a snap as an Iowa QB. He was on the roster as a freshman wing back but transferred to USC where he played QB and won a Rose Bowl. Hlas mentioned him eons ago in a column.

tl;dr, Rudy Bukich was not an Iowa quarterback. Ever.

Rudy Bukich never played a snap as an Iowa QB. He was on the roster as a freshman wing back but transferred to USC where he played QB and won a Rose Bowl. Hlas mentioned him eons ago in a column.

tl;dr, Rudy Bukich was not an Iowa quarterback. Ever.

Thanks for the info. Again, I know nothing about him. His bio lists Iowa as a college he "played" for, which is why he was Iowa's best NFL QB ever. Having read what you posted, I would say that he should not be listed as such, or maybe we should just hope CJ passes him so there's no doubt.

Thanks for the info. Again, I know nothing about him. His bio lists Iowa as a college he "played" for, which is why he was Iowa's best NFL QB ever. Having read what you posted, I would say that he should not be listed as such, or maybe we should just hope CJ passes him so there's no doubt.
I can't claim any knowledge of him either, I just remembered Hlas bringing his name up in a column talking about how there's never been a decent NFL QB to come out of Iowa, and there were some announcers who brought it up before the 2015 Rose Bowl.

And now I'm curious as to who it actually was.

I scanned through the list and found that Chuck Long was 302nd, Mark Vlasic was 455th, Randy Duncan was 473rd, and Dan McGwire was 492nd. Didn't see any others, but was just scanning through the names.

Also, if you're interested, Ryan Lindley from the Cardinals, and other teams as well, is listed as the lowest rated QB of all time.

Latest posts