Tribune's Case for Rutgers

I know with all the chatter going on about expansion, we'll all be sick of this by the time Delany makes the announcement. This thread, however, still deserves a reply. Nice stuff, beaver! I'd love to see Rutgers added. I'll make that trip east.

To me, Rutgers has always been the option that's made the most sense. They fit geographically, they've got a decent sized football stadium and an up and coming program playing in it, and - most importantly - are only 40 minutes drive from downtown Manhattan.

To me, Rutgers has always been the option that's made the most sense.
Well, Shada, with that avatar, I wonder. Being from the east, I've had many the opportunity to sample Yuengling (Pottsville?) and I miss it dearly. A road trip to NJ would kill two birds with one stone. I say.

Well, Shada, with that avatar, I wonder. Being from the east, I've had many the opportunity to sample Yuengling (Pottsville?) and I miss it dearly. A road trip to NJ would kill two birds with one stone. I say.

Pottsville, indeed. My wife is from N. Carolina, and it was while visiting there that I had the opportunity to taste Yeungling for the first time. Needless to say, I make her smuggle back a 12 pack every time she visits family out there. Hell, when I go out there with her - which isn't nearly as often as I would like - getting some Yeungling is just a slightly lower priority than getting my bags at the airport.

I dated a chick (damn. Don't you still love that word?) from a town, nearby Pottsville. Every time I visited it was Yuengling. The small, corner taverns. Yuengling. A couple of years back, a fellow tailgater went east to State College. Stumbled upon it and brought cases back. It was the first to go at that particular game. No need to say any more.

Rutgers does not excite me. The TV and recruiting benifits will probably trump my next points but Rutgers basketball is a non factor and their football program has been up and coming but has not been good previous to the last 3-4 years. I have never really heard of any of their sports teams other then football and women's basketball.
To me this is not the homerun that I would be looking for especially for the western teams like Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin.

Rutgers does not excite me. The TV and recruiting benifits will probably trump my next points but Rutgers basketball is a non factor and their football program has been up and coming but has not been good previous to the last 3-4 years. I have never really heard of any of their sports teams other then football and women's basketball.
To me this is not the homerun that I would be looking for especially for the western teams like Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin.

Iowa all ready goes to places like Penn State, and Rutgers is probably only another 1/2 hour or so flight time from there.

Iowa all ready goes to places like Penn State, and Rutgers is probably only another 1/2 hour or so flight time from there.

Nah, Shada. Newark Airport is only 20 minutes from campus. A major east cost hub. Which make's it a helluva a lot easier to get to then say, State College, Bloomington, West Lafayette, whereever. C'mon Hawk94. You'll have to do better than that.

Rutgers was the name I wrote about back in the early years of this decade...while I'd still prefer Notre Dame or Missouri, Rutgers makes a lot of sense.

Rutgers was the name I wrote about back in the early years of this decade...while I'd still prefer Notre Dame or Missouri, Rutgers makes a lot of sense.
Ever had a Yuengling, Jon? I'm sure Delany has. Funny how these deals work out.

Nah, Shada. Newark Airport is only 20 minutes from campus. A major east cost hub. Which make's it a helluva a lot easier to get to then say, State College, Bloomington, West Lafayette, whereever. C'mon Hawk94. You'll have to do better than that.

I'm thinking more along the lines of the team taking charters to road games, so having to make connections probably isn't an issue.

Wow that article makes one heck of a good argument to add Rutgers to the Big Ten. They would probably love to get out of that monster of a basketball conference, go to a place where they might have a fighting chance to compete. I guess if not ND or Missouri, who better then Rutgers?

Another plus, Shada. The NEW Meadowlands. As written in the article. I lived in Rutherford, so I went to Giants Stadium, a lot. I know a big argument here at HawkeyeNation is that NJ & NY are professional oriented. All BS. Damn. They come in droves for TENNIS! With that population base, they're anything they want to be. Notre Dame is huge. Think of Manhattan. A melting pot of every Big Ten school. In fact, every school. We'd do well to take Rutgers.

Next to Notre Dame, Rutgers is my favorite. They have their own stadium, excellent academics, location, location, location, and they play Big 10 football. I would love to see them come to the conference long before Mizzou

For my own purely selfish reasons I'm still partial to Texas being the 12th member. Logically though Rutgers has always seemed like a better fit.

For my own purely selfish reasons I'm still partial to Texas being the 12th member. Logically though Rutgers has always seemed like a better fit.
I may get an argument for this. You take Texas, you take down the Big 12. I don't think the BCS likes that idea. We all know ND wants to be a national school. You take Rutgers...
You ruffle no feathers. The Big East could care less. They're all hoop. I say a very good fit.

I may get an argument for this. You take Texas, you take down the Big 12. I don't think the BCS likes that idea. We all know ND wants to be a national school. You take Rutgers...
You ruffle no feathers. The Big East could care less. They're all hoop. I say a very good fit.

It was hard to ever see Texas being considered, or even wanting to be considered. They rule the Big 12, and the rest of the conference does whatever they please.

Plus, the NCAA rule that requires a league to have 12 teams in order to have a championship game. The Big 12 probably would have been granted an exception if the Big 10 poached one of them, but with Rutgers...Big East teams only play 7 conference games a year, so it's no biggie.

I could not be less excited about a team than I am about Rutgers. Unless they are part of a three team deal giving the conference 14 teams, but if Rutgers is the best the Big 10 can come up with then it is a fail.