Tressel's Comments in the Register

wally59

We like to use 5 receivers so that we have more options and it makes it easier for their quarterback to run. No one is asking Iowa to run a spread offense but they need to mix it up. If you look at the Iowa offensive stats you have one of the most efficient quarterbacks in the country, a running back that usually get 100 yards a game at 5 yard per carry and have the least amount of turnovers in a season. I think are execution is phenomenol for the limited amount of formations that we have. KOK offensive scheme has consistently over the years produced one of the worst 3rd down conversions in the big ten. KOK I want you to succeed, could you please join the modern era of football and be more diversified.

I think some of those stats are directly the product of our offensive schemes. Efficiency, running, and low turnovers are the staple goals of this offense.

I would like to offense install a more focused short-timing passing game. We do a good job of running, play-action, and attacking downfield. But the reason our 3rd and medium and 2-minute drill have lacked is because we are poor at short/timing routes.

I think some of this can be chalked up to Stanzi. He is not an accurate passer underneath, and he has shown the penchant to make poor decisions in the short-passing game. He is far better throwing downfield. I hope moving forward, however, we can install a better short passing game as I think it will make a huge difference in this offense. We need to be able to be able to execute some spread formations/tendencies and this years offense hasn't shown that ability.

We like to use 5 receivers so that we have more options and it makes it easier for their quarterback to run. No one is asking Iowa to run a spread offense but they need to mix it up. If you look at the Iowa offensive stats you have one of the most efficient quarterbacks in the country, a running back that usually get 100 yards a game at 5 yard per carry and have the least amount of turnovers in a season. I think are execution is phenomenol for the limited amount of formations that we have. KOK offensive scheme has consistently over the years produced one of the worst 3rd down conversions in the big ten. KOK I want you to succeed, could you please join the modern era of football and be more diversified.

He wrote a book on offensive football...he is a genius.:D I believe he did write a book, but I am just trying to be funny......weak attempt at humor.:p

So if Stanzi is sooo good on the deep ball explain to me the poor decision against NW when we were going in for a score. Explain to me 2 overthrows to wide open receivers down the field against OSU this weekend.

How about just hurrying things up a little when you only have a minute or 2 left when you are behind in a ball game.

So if Stanzi is sooo good on the deep ball explain to me the poor decision against NW when we were going in for a score. Explain to me 2 overthrows to wide open receivers down the field against OSU this weekend.

Its hard to throw an accurately deep ball every single time (he has hit quite a few over the years). He didn't see the safety on the interception. There how is that.

Last edited:
Its hard to throw an accurately deep ball every single time (he has hit quite a few over the years). He didn't see the safety on the interception. There how is that.

Stanzi has missed more deep balls than he has hit this year and that is a fact.

Thx for backing me on this one WADD and oh yes how about the 2 WIDE open ones in the 1st half last week. Clutch players make clutch plays.

Thx for backing me on this one WADD and oh yes how about the 2 WIDE open ones in the 1st half last week. Clutch players make clutch plays.

Give me a break. Stanzi has made more good throws than bad this year. Overall, I say he throws a good deep ball.

Stanzi has a good touch and feel for the deep ball for a college QB, I'll stand by that.

What games are you watching on Saturday? Sure Stanzi has made some deep passes, but he does not have a good touch, nor is he highly successful in 20+ yrd completions. Often the 20+ yrd passes were 10-15 yrd completions with 10-15 YAC made by the reciever.

Our WR's frequently have to make adjustments to their route (i.e. slow down or come back through the defender). Even in the 5- 15 yrd range Stanzi does not consistantly lead the reciever and they have to reach back across thier body to catch the ball.

Bet you he hasn't completed 50% of his deep balls this year..he did hit some clutch ones but he missed 2 big ones against OSU this weekend. This isn't why we've lost 4 games this year though because he's been much better with his decision making no doubt.

Stanzi has made great stides this year. His passer rating is up 30 points from last year.

He brings many intangibles to this team. His record as starting QB is phenominal.

He does not throw a good deep ball.

This makes no sense. Stanzi must be 100% accurate in long passes? No QB is close to 100% accurate in long passes. Blaming Stanzi is weak and shows an inability to accept all the factors that come into play during a game.

His leadership skills are not that great...
....But he's really not that great of a leader.

I'm not even going to get into a debate with someone that in their first 15 posts at Hawkeye Nation has commented that Ferentz isn't a good coach and Sanzi isn't a great leader.

Yeah I do take exception in saying that his leadership skills aren't good. The team and coaches believe. Having said that if anyone thinks that he didn't miss some WIDE open people this year down the field you haven't been watching any Iowa Football. The coaches are fine there are some teams that just flat out out coach them in certain situations.

Yeah I do take exception in saying that his leadership skills aren't good. The team and coaches believe. Having said that if anyone thinks that he didn't miss some WIDE open people this year down the field you haven't been watching any Iowa Football. The coaches are fine there are some teams that just flat out out coach them in certain situations.

I don't know, I thought before this year that Stanzi was a great leader, but watching them run the two minute drill so unsuccessfully over and over again has given me some doubts. The whole offense looks lost and in a panic during these drives. The QB has to set the tone and not one time have we looked confident having to make a drive to win the game. Not to mention the bad decisions he's made from throwing two yard passes when we need to save time to not throwing it away when he had a chance. We just look so terrible in our two minute offense that I have a hard time believing we have such great leadership.

HawkeyeMike I agree with your premise but I think end of game management belongs as much to the coaching staff as it does to Stanzi. And though my friend alexzalada didn't properly interpret my comment I do think that Stanzi missed some golden deep ball opportunities this year. He was better last year in the clutch no doubt.

Latest posts