Tressel Press Conference at 1pm

To expand a little on my previous thoughts - the reason OSU will be protected by the powers that be is that they are a name brand program that no one (meaning other power schools) is really jealous of right now.

Look at a couple name brand teams that the NCAA has come down hard on lately - USC and (soon to be, IMO) Auburn. The common thread there is National Championships. Winning titles makes other power programs jealous - therefore the NCAA will come down on them to keep the peace. The infractions committed by USC and Auburn have been serious, but the worst thing they did for themselves was to actually succeed in winning titles.

Regionally, OSU is viewed as a big, bad bully. As Iowa fans we see them that way. Other Big Ten fans see them that way. But you have to look at this from a national perspective and realize that outside of the B10, OSU is basically laughed at. They're not taken seriously - they're just seen as the best team from a watered down conference (in some years, that's arguably been true).

Even their 2002 National Title is besmirched by those outside the program. I think that 2002 team - rightly or wrongly - is roundly seen as the weakest National Champion from the last decade.

These are just the facts - as much as Iowa fans and those around the B10 would love to see them taken down a notch, from a national perspective OSU is a non-entity. If OSU ever won a title, the heat would ramp up in a big way.

What? Who says this? LSU won a national title with two losses just a few years ago. The 2002 Ohio St team was loaded with future NFL players, they beat a Miami team that was on like a 34 game win streak in an all timer of a game. The amount of NFL talent on the field that night was staggering. I've never heard anyone say that team is seen as the weakest national champion in the decade.

I've never heard anyone say that team is seen as the weakest national champion in the decade.

You are correct on that 2002 OSU team, even with the controversial call at the end that was a damn solid win over the Canes. The Oklahoma team that beat an average FSU team for the 2000 championship is definitely the weakest champ of the last decade.

What? Who says this? LSU won a national title with two losses just a few years ago. The 2002 Ohio St team was loaded with future NFL players, they beat a Miami team that was on like a 34 game win streak in an all timer of a game. The amount of NFL talent on the field that night was staggering. I've never heard anyone say that team is seen as the weakest national champion in the decade.

Lots of people. Like I said, "rightly or wrongly..." it's not that I personally agree/disagree with it, but that is the national perception.

I'm in a hurry, so I can come back and look for more later, but I googled "ranking bcs champions", and here are the first two I happened to click on:

Has OSU 10th of 11:
BCS football: Ranking the decade’s national champions | College Hotline

Has OSU tied for last:
Ranking The 10 BCS Champions, Who Is Really The Best Of Alltime? | Bleacher Report

These appear to just be random bloggers, but it still supports my assertion - outside of Big Ten country, the big boy powers view OSU as a junior member...which is why you won't see the NCAA come down hard on them (that's what she said). No one who matters is jealous of them.

That 2002 team will always be the "Luckeyes" from a national perspective. A mediocre team that played decent defense and lucked their way (bad call) into beating a "legit" (national perspective) Miami squad.

Lots of people. Like I said, "rightly or wrongly..." it's not that I personally agree/disagree with it, but that is the national perception.

I'm in a hurry, so I can come back and look for more later, but I googled "ranking bcs champions", and here are the first two I happened to click on:

Has OSU 10th of 11:
BCS football: Ranking the decade’s national champions | College Hotline

Has OSU tied for last:
Ranking The 10 BCS Champions, Who Is Really The Best Of Alltime? | Bleacher Report

These appear to just be random bloggers, but it still supports my assertion - outside of Big Ten country, the big boy powers view OSU as a junior member...which is why you won't see the NCAA come down hard on them (that's what she said). No one who matters is jealous of them.

That 2002 team will always be the "Luckeyes" from a national perspective. A mediocre team that played decent defense and lucked their way (bad call) into beating a "legit" (national perspective) Miami squad.

They got lucky game after game that season, they were the poster child for the ugly win, they pulled several games out of their backside, they somehow stayed undefeated and won the MNC in a way that was fitting for their season. They were the luckiest team ever before the the game against the 'Canes.

Latest posts