TRANSCRIPT: Fran McCaffery Media Day

I hope everyone understands a few things. Better defense = fewer possessions. For our team and the other team. Better defense = less energy on the offensive end. Less energy often leads to more mistakes/TOs, not fewer. If anyone here is expecting: Better offensive efficiency + more PPG, + fewer turnovers + better defense = our 2018-19 season.....better prepare themselves for reality. The only way to play better defense is to sacrifice personal stats and offensive numbers.
Danny Ainge, for one, has admitted that he occasionally took offensive possessions off to save himself for defense. Of course, as good as the Celtics were at offensive rebounding, he could pick his spots, and his role was pretty much outside shooting anyway. But there were times when he could buy himself eighty or ninety seconds of real time when Parish and Mc Hale were attacking the offensive glass and Danny could get his legs back under him.

Our AAU coaches ran a drill almost every practice where two teams scrimmaged five on five and dribbling wasn't allowed. It helped especially against a zone defense because it got them thinking two passes ahead and they learned to trust each other. Once they got the zone out of position, then they could attack with the dribble. A lot of easy baskets and trips to the free throw line. You see it all the time in middle school tournaments, one person dribbling away and the other four stand around and watch. If other teams dribble too much against our middle school team they preach trapping the ball handler to one side of the floor, then to half of that. Before you know it he's trapped in a corner. Yet in college and the pros you see dribble, dribble, dribble. Maybe it started when the kids grew up with the three point shot and the drive and kick game. But it seems like we're in a rut where dribbling is in and like you said it can make the NBA, and some college, tough to watch.
Your AAU coach is smart. I did similar things when I used to coach 6th and 7th grade kids. I do a lot of half court shell and 3 on 3 small sided scrimmage games for high school kids. I spend a lot of time on basketball IQ stuff. Trying to teach offensive rebounding principles, team defense principles, how to create and use spacing. Small sided games are good for these things. Details. I spend a lot of time preaching details.

That would make all the sense in the world if you have a tight rotation with most of your starters playing heavy mins. JBo is the only one last yr that played enough every game to be dead tired at the end. Hopefully CM stays healthy and plays well so JBo won't have to play 32 plus mins a game again. I don't think with this group of guys who typically don't play enough that it'd be a physical exertion issue that'd affect their play at both ends. I'm only assuming that Fran is playing 10 plus guys a lot again though which it kinda sounds like will be happening..
Logic and sense doesn't apply to this group. Did you see anyone other than Garza, play like they only got 20 mins per game, so they needed to make the most of them on both ends of the floor? Everyone but Garza played like they were dog tired every game. Very poor effort.

Danny Ainge, for one, has admitted that he occasionally took offensive possessions off to save himself for defense. Of course, as good as the Celtics were at offensive rebounding, he could pick his spots, and his role was pretty much outside shooting anyway. But there were times when he could buy himself eighty or ninety seconds of real time when Parish and Mc Hale were attacking the offensive glass and Danny could get his legs back under him.
If you can't get a break on the bench, you better take plays off on the offensive end. Just from a team chemistry standpoint, what's better? Taking a few plays off on offense and allowing your teammates opportunities to score? Or taking plays off on defense and not helping out when your teammate gets beat off the dribble? One will get you a finger point and a thank you. The other will get finger pointing and blame.

If you can't get a break on the bench, you better take plays off on the offensive end. Just from a team chemistry standpoint, what's better? Taking a few plays off on offense and allowing your teammates opportunities to score? Or taking plays off on defense and not helping out when your teammate gets beat off the dribble? One will get you a finger point and a thank you. The other will get finger pointing and blame.
Nothing drove Bobby Knight crazier, and that's saying something, then a defensive player not reacting to a help situation in time or being too lazy to do so. He considered not helping the ultimate in selfish play. Steve Alford wrote of how winded he was after doing a help defense drill early in his freshman year. Little did he know that Knight would run that drill almost every day for the remainder of Alford's college career.

Nothing drove Bobby Knight crazier, and that's saying something, then a defensive player not reacting to a help situation in time or being too lazy to do so. He considered not helping the ultimate in selfish play. Steve Alford wrote of how winded he was after doing a help defense drill early in his freshman year. Little did he know that Knight would run that drill almost every day for the remainder of Alford's college career.
That's awesome.

Maybe the fact that we have pretty good depth should help us with the energy issues.
It's also experienced depth, which should help. But what about the effort issue? It's real. As I've mentioned before, Bobby Hansen pointed it out on the air. Bobby had average talent and parlayed it into an NCAA final four appearance and a nine year NBA career culminating with a championship ring where he wasn't just one of Jordan's passengers. All because he gave effort and hustled his ass off.

Logic and sense doesn't apply to this group. Did you see anyone other than Garza, play like they only got 20 mins per game, so they needed to make the most of them on both ends of the floor? Everyone but Garza played like they were dog tired every game. Very poor effort.
I don't think their lack of effort was due to their being physically tired though. I agree it looked that way a lot but good lord how could that have been the case as young and in shape as they should be? I think it's was partially their effort and partially just what their ability has them capable of....

It's also experienced depth, which should help. But what about the effort issue? It's real. As I've mentioned before, Bobby Hansen pointed it out on the air. Bobby had average talent and parlayed it into an NCAA final four appearance and a nine year NBA career culminating with a championship ring where he wasn't just one of Jordan's passengers. All because he gave effort and hustled his ass off.
Bobby tells it like it is too... Last yr had to be rough for him because like you said for a guy like him lack of effort at all is just not comprehensible. And it just plain shouldn't be. The last thing a coach should be worrying about is effort. But it's gotta be at the top of Frans list with most of this group...

I like the side view. It shows where Connor instantly recognizes changeup, stays back, and puts a good swing on it. Both views show how short and quick his swing is and how quickly his bat get to the hitting zone. That's a big time swing! Both views also show that Connor also has the celebratory bat flip down pat, as well as the walkoff home run pose.

For you older fans, that swing looks like Graig Nettles, who killed pitches on the inner half, especially with the short right field porch in Yankee Stadium.

Latest posts