Tracy Webster

rockbreaker

Any chance now that Depaul has hired Purnell we make a run at him for assistant. If we are looking for Chicago recruiting connections, he is about as good as it gets. Also, he did a pretty good job at Depaul as interim head coach. I think he would be an outstanding get, but who knows if he would be interested.

He would be outstanding but it sounded yesterday like Purnell was hoping to keep him and Webster wants to stay.

Any chance now that Depaul has hired Purnell we make a run at him for assistant. If we are looking for Chicago recruiting connections, he is about as good as it gets. Also, he did a pretty good job at Depaul as interim head coach. I think he would be an outstanding get, but who knows if he would be interested.

Didn't Depaul have like 5-6 wins the first half of the season before he took over and only 1 the second half after he took over??? And Wainwright had huge Chicago connections and that didn't help him succeed there. No thanks on Webster. There are others out there to fill the 2nd and 3rd asst job.

Didn't Depaul have like 5-6 wins the first half of the season before he took over and only 1 the second half after he took over??? And Wainwright had huge Chicago connections and that didn't help him succeed there. No thanks on Webster. There are others out there to fill the 2nd and 3rd asst job.

You serious? Yes Wainwright beat powerhouses like Columbia, St. Joe's, Detroit, Alabama State, Texas State and UIC. He did get a win over UNI but Webster got a win over Marquette.

Webster isn't to blame for anything related to DePaul last year. And no Wainwright never recruited Chicago well. Just admit you have no idea what his resume is like or what kids he's recruited. There's a reason why Kentucky and Illinois hired him away and DePaul gave him big money. He's not coming but he's very likely the best recruiter we could get.

Last edited:
You serious? Yes Wainwright beat powerhouses like Columbia, St. Joe's, Detroit, Alabama State, Texas State and UIC. He did get a win over UNI but Webster got a win over Marquette.

Webster isn't to blame for anything related to DePaul last year. And no Wainwright never recruited Chicago well. Just admit you have no idea what his resume is like or what kids he's recruited. There's a reason why Kentucky and Illinois hired him away and DePaul gave him big money. He's not coming but he's very likely the best recruiter we could get.

I understand the competition was different the second half of the season but he didn't do any better than what Wainwright would've done, if he had won 5-6 games in the big east he would probably have he job.

More of my point was about the recruiting. Wainwright was very tight with all of the "chicago connections" way more than Webster and it didn't help Wainwright win. So, in theory, we should just hire Wainwright because he is a lot tighter with the Chicago area;)

Quote in todays Chicago Trib from illinois state title champ,Simeon HS head coach

'' I did not hear from the last guy DePaul hired,Jerry Wainwright, for more than 3 months after he got the job and we had the best player in the country on our team,Derrick Rose''

He made this comment after talking with Oliver Purnell,new DePaul coach, the day after Purnell was hired.

Wainwright was a suburban HS coach in chicago 15 years ago, and was not in the chicago area after that,until he was hired at DePaul. His ''connection'' to chicago was very dated..in fact the school he coached at no longer exists, I believe.

Recruiting is a ''what have you done for me today'' game...so a decades old chicago connection does not mean you do not have to touch all the bases again...new people in key positions around the city mean guys like wainwright are just strangers to them.

Which is why Purnell immediately touched base with Robert Smith,Ty Slaughter(Whitney Young coach),Nick Irvin(morgan park coach and son of Illinios Fire owner Mac Irvin) ect. yesterday and assured them that Tracy Webster,Billy Garrett(former Iowa coach),and David Booth (former DePaul player) ...all assistants with Wainwright,will be given interviews for his staff.
All three of these guys are recent hires by Wainwright in a last ditch attempt to rescue his job...too late,jerry. Wainwright reminds me of lick...too old school,not ready to jump into recruiting on day one.

Which is why Purnell immediately touched base with Robert Smith,Ty Slaughter(Whitney Young coach),Nick Irvin(morgan park coach and son of Illinios Fire owner Mac Irvin) ect. yesterday and assured them that Tracy Webster,Billy Garrett(former Iowa coach),and David Booth (former DePaul player) ...all assistants with Wainwright,will be given interviews for his staff.
All three of these guys are recent hires by Wainwright in a last ditch attempt to rescue his job...too late,jerry. Wainwright reminds me of lick...too old school,not ready to jump into recruiting on day one.

Billy Garrett's son (Billy Garrett, Jr.) is going to be a great player. He is a freshman at Morgan Park this year and he handled most of the ball handling duties in the CPS title game this year against a full-court press. He is very slick for a freshman.

Billy Garrett's son (Billy Garrett, Jr.) is going to be a great player. He is a freshman at Morgan Park this year and he handled most of the ball handling duties in the CPS title game this year against a full-court press. He is very slick for a freshman.
I just have to comment because i love your name, Joey was one of my favorite players.

I know Morgan Park had a frosh pg who was very good,but I did not think it was Billy Garrett jr. I did watch that game...kid with the dreads was a frosh pg...kid was very good, but did not think it was Garrett jr.

Markee Williams was a star frosh pg for Morgan Park this year...maybe Billy Garrett jr was also...but williams was incredible for a frosh.

Last edited:
I know Morgan Park had a frosh pg who was very good,but I did not think it was Billy Garrett jr. I did watch that game...kid with the dreads was a frosh pg...kid was very good, but did not think it was Garrett jr.

They had another freshman named Markee Williams who was starting and hit some clutch shots in the playoffs, but I thought Billy Garrett, Jr. was better. He was the first player off the bench for Morgan Park.

Here is a blog post about the team from December, with a pick of Billy, Jr. (looks a lot like his dad): http://neilski.typepad.com/wwwlanet...y-1-of-the-cps-shootout-at-chicago-state.html

And one from the CPS Title game: http://neilski.typepad.com/wwwlanet...n-park-wins-city-basketball-championship.htmlhttp://neilski.typepad.com/wwwlanetechfancom_blog/morgan-park/

Last edited:
Ok, Morgan Park going to be tough next year with Blackshear,Williams and Garrett.

Saw that Mycheal Henry of Orr,6'6'' guard/forward,2011 recruit, is moving up fast ..ChicagoHoops has him going to #3 in the state next year...and he is on Rising Stars...can the Hawks get in on him like Brust and Payne? Wis has offered and the illini might have also.

Tracy Webster did not recruit those players. It was his first year at DePaul. They hired him last year to recruit the city. He recruited Jeremy Richmond who committed to Illinois and Demetri McCamey while at Illinois. He also landed Eric Gordon before Calvin Sampson stole him from Illinois illegally.