Toussaint / Woolridge

Hawkeyes5

I know this is a long shot comparison, but if Toussaint can improve his long shot jumper he is very similar in style, finishing his drive, and tenacity to Andre Woolridge...anyone else see this?

I think “Turbo” Toussaint is way quicker than Woolridge ever was. Woolridge to me was a great floor general when it came to assists and scoring. Joe T is just lightning in a bottle. And probably a little better defender than Andre.

Man I miss that guy. Still pisses me off he wasn’t player of the year. That guy could get you a basket when needed.

Touissant seems completely different to me. Joe is solid physically which I can see the similarities, but different games after that. Touissant has a different gear. He just needs to know when to shift it up or down. Change of speed under control. He will be good. If he can come close to Woolridge I’ll be very happy.

Woolridge was a bruiser who used his strength to get to the rim and had one of the best mid range jumpers I’ve ever seen. JT is nearly the opposite...uses his speed to get to the rim and couldn’t hit the broad side of the barn from 15 ft. So other than both being black point guards (which we’ve seemed to lack in the last 30 years), they couldn’t be more different. :)

Man I miss that guy. Still pisses me off he wasn’t player of the year. That guy could get you a basket when needed.

Touissant seems completely different to me. Joe is solid physically which I can see the similarities, but different games after that. Touissant has a different gear. He just needs to know when to shift it up or down. Change of speed under control. He will be good. If he can come close to Woolridge I’ll be very happy.
Woolridge had major surgery on his knee before transferring to Iowa, before that he was super quick.

Am too young to have remembered Ronny Lester playing, with that said Woolridge may be the best Hawkeye I have seen play. I am not sure I have seen a Hawk be able to control games as well as he did considering his young supporting cast. He had good ball skills, was physical and had a good first step. I think he is the best Hawk I have seen at being able to get his own shot off the dribble.

Would have been interesting to see how his senior team would have done if Settles would have played. I did hear a rumor back then that those two didn't get along and part of Jess's back issues lingered because he didn't want to play with Andre

Am too young to have remembered Ronny Lester playing, with that said Woolridge may be the best Hawkeye I have seen play. I am not sure I have seen a Hawk be able to control games as well as he did considering his young supporting cast. He had good ball skills, was physical and had a good first step. I think he is the best Hawk I have seen at being able to get his own shot off the dribble.

Would have been interesting to see how his senior team would have done if Settles would have played. I did hear a rumor back then that those two didn't get along and part of Jess's back issues lingered because he didn't want to play with Andre
Wish you could’ve seen Lester play. The guy was special. Made 1st Team All American and didn’t even play a full season.

Physically they both have the big upper body with the wide shoulders so if they are driving on a guy and get that shoulder past the defenders shoulder it is all over going to the hoop. But yes Andre could drive and pull up for that sweet jumper and I hope JT can get that also. JT has a lot or most all the tools except experience and the consistent shot.

I think “Turbo” Toussaint is way quicker than Woolridge ever was. Woolridge to me was a great floor general when it came to assists and scoring. Joe T is just lightning in a bottle. And probably a little better defender than Andre.
Toussaint runs down hill.

Both are thick and muscular. AW was a better scorer, JT has more foot speed and quickness which makes him a much better defender.

JoeT can use his left hand. Not a dig at AW because nobody could stop him going right.

Love JT and the way he plays , he has positives that are better than AWs were , but he has a long way to go to reach AWs overall game …….. Great thing is he has 3+ years to get there

Andre was one of the greatest guards to come through Iowa ever. I believe led the Big 10 in scoring and assists in the same season. Truly one of the most exciting players to watch. If he is half the player Andre was he will be a success.

Wasn't Woolridge a junior college player before he came to Iowa? Give Toussaint a couple of years before comparing.

I think Touissant should average 20 ppg in a season before we start invoking the names of Iowa's all time greatest guards.

Joe really needs to work on his jump shot this summer. That would really make him more valuable on the offensive end . Right now, defenses sag off him to clog the middle. If he could shoot, look out!

Latest posts