Toussaint Commits to Hawks

The guy played with a dislocated shoulder his junior year, so I wouldn't be surprised if he is a lot better shooter than advertised. It will be interesting to see how it all works out.

I think that I also saw him with a 4 star rating by some services, he was also playing injured, plus the competition level in his area is very high. He is the best point guard that Iowa recruited for this class. Some other recruits are very overrated. He’s going to be a great player at the University of Iowa.

He appears to be both quick, a good ball handler, and willing to dish it out to his teammates. But don't hold your breath waiting for him to jamb the ball. Looks to have a 9" vertical jump. But I am still happy we might sign a point guard.

This is exactly what we needed. I really like that he doesn't show boat or celebrate after a basket, he is immediately back on D.

His shot form looks good so should be easy to improve the percentage.

He appears to be both quick, a good ball handler, and willing to dish it out to his teammates. But don't hold your breath waiting for him to jamb the ball. Looks to have a 9" vertical jump. But I am still happy we might sign a point guard.
I'm not saying he's Jalen Brunson...not even close. But I don't recall Brunson playing above the rim. But he was tough both physically and mentally on both ends of the court. I will take that type of mindset in a PG.

Looks like he can dribble penetrate, dish the assist, and play defense. Looks a little off balance shooting the ball, but some guys can make that work. Two main things I like is he can play defense and penetrate the lane, two things we are lacking in. If he does just that well, I’ll take it. He fills a niche.

Also, he penetrates with either hand. He can work the crossover with his left or right hands. Gotta love that as the defender can't overplay.

I've been expecting this kind of recruit since Day 1 of Fran's tenure. I honestly can't understand why Fran hasn't put the time in to recruit guards from the upper east coast, given his prior coaching gigs.

I've been expecting this kind of recruit since Day 1 of Fran's tenure. I honestly can't understand why Fran hasn't put the time in to recruit guards from the upper east coast, given his prior coaching gigs.

I realize he got Basabe and Garza to come here, but I definitely thought his East Coast influence would have a bigger impact on the program than what we have seen so far.

I realize you were talking about guards specifically. I am talking in general. Given his East Coast ties I thought he would be able to get more kids from the East Coast, regardless of the position.
I've dealt with college basketball recruiting more than the average person but I can't honestly say why a coach would not recruit old territory he has established ties to, to go along with the new territory he has at Iowa. It seems obvious that the quantity of D-1 players is much higher on the upper east coast, than in Iowa. Or even the immediate surroundings.

I've dealt with college basketball recruiting more than the average person but I can't honestly say why a coach would not recruit old territory he has established ties to, to go along with the new territory he has at Iowa. It seems obvious that the quantity of D-1 players is much higher on the upper east coast, than in Iowa. Or even the immediate surroundings.
Lute Olson, for one, was still landing Iowa recruits a decade after he left to compliment his California connections that he re-established from his Long Beach State days. His best may have been Carroll's Brian David, who would have fit in well on the early nineties Iowa teams. Cedar Rapids Prairie prep Justin Wessell didn't make as big of an impact but was a spear carrier on Lute'e national championship team in 1997.

Last edited:
Looks like he can dribble penetrate, dish the assist, and play defense. Looks a little off balance shooting the ball, but some guys can make that work. Two main things I like is he can play defense and penetrate the lane, two things we are lacking in. If he does just that well, I’ll take it. He fills a niche.
Maybe a Brian Garner/Kevin Smith type. Know what the amazing thing about Garner was? (before he flunked out) He had no outside shot to speak of yet few could stay in front of him. Whether he stayed in control when he penetrated or not was another story.

When Ray Thompson was infamously declared ineligible on the eve of the 1989 NCAA'S the one player who benefitted the most was ironically Brian Garner. He got key minutes at the point against NC State even when BJ was on the floor. And hit some big free throws.

Val Barnes may be another comparison, but Val could shoot. And when Iowa went small with Val Barnes, Kevin Smith and James Moses on the floor at the same time they could create havoc.