Tournament expansion likely

No point in having the NIT

Pretty much. All the NCAA is doing is folding the NIT (which they own/run now) into the field of 64. CBS can opt of their contract with the NCAA next summer, and you can bet that they'll use expansion as a reason to do so.

At some point you'll see the opening rounds on ESPN or ABC.

I'm in favor of expansion. The NIT is meaningless anyway so might as well render it dead. All they are doing is playing for bragging rights to who is #66. The added teams will play an extra round to earn the right to play with the big boys. Expansion equates to a slightly extended tourney and I don't see that as being too much of a good thing which is why I'm in favor of it.

Please. Do you really think the team that wins the NIT this year would be worse than Arkansas Pine Bluff? Since the NCAA took it over, the NIT is a much better tournament than it was in years past.

Last edited:
The only expansion I think the NCAA tournament needs is more of these play in games for those small schools. That would expand the field to 68, you bring in 3 more bubble teams and it would make all the games more competitive with more possibilities of upsets.

It could hurt pre-conference scheduling. BCS schools won't have to worry as much about strengthening their schedules.

You have got to be kidding. How about we focus on things that ARE broken?!! Like the BCS in college football? The NCAA is probably the worst run major sports organization in this country, what a complete joke...

Latest posts