Toughness

bamahawkeye

That is what this team is missing this year. Toughness and the quiet confidence you could see oozing from this team a year ago.
Yes, a lack of execution has killed us many times this year, whether on offense, defense or special teams. All three of these areas have failed at one time or another this year. We have not played real well in all 3 phases for any length of time this year.
But I can't remember a team that seemed so soft and mentally weak as this one. There is no passion, no confidence that no matter what happens, somebody is going to make a play to save the day. And the worst part is, this is as talented a team as Iowa has had. I'm as shocked as anybody. I cannot believe how soft this team is.
We can point to a lot of mistakes, and throw a lot of blame around. But to me, the lack of toughness is the biggest factor in the struggles of this team. And I'll go a step further. The leadership of Edds and Angerer is the connection I make as to why this team is so much softer. That and I think the uncertainty surrounding Norm has affected everybody more than anyone probably knows.
Call this season a failure, call it lost, call it a waste. I wouldn't disagree with any of those. I'll be right there in the thick of it, watching and yelling next week and the week after. I love this team, the staff and this group of seniors. But I am officially at a loss for words. I can honestly say I didn't see this season shaping up the way it has after 10 games.

Latest posts