touch back?

Fumbled ball hit the pylon which = the endzone then it went out of bounds. Same as fumbling the ball threw the endzone.

If you fumble out of the endzone you are trying to score in it's a touchback and the other teams ball.

A fumble that goes through the endzone results in a TB and change of possession. He fumbled and it hit the pylon, therefore through the endzone.

i was getting some strange looks with my explanation during the review before the ruling.

I was bouncing off the walls telling my wife that they were going to rule it a touchback, while the TV commentators were refusing to mention that he fumbled the ball.

I was bouncing off the walls telling my wife that they were going to rule it a touchback, while the TV commentators were refusing to mention that he fumbled the ball.

haha same I was watching it with some people, and I saw the replay and was like "IOWA BALL!!!!" and everybody was like "? wtf?"

Poor job by the tv crew. The replays kept showing he lost control of the ball, but they never mentioned that at all.

Yep, same here and then when the refs made the call the one commentator acted like he had it nailed all along.

I just plain wasn't paying attention as we were discussing if KF and staff would think to prepare for the inevitable ensuing onside kick! Totally understand the rule, but for the most part, it is a stupid rule in my opinion [not today of course ;) ]

I just plain wasn't paying attention as we were discussing if KF and staff would think to prepare for the inevitable ensuing onside kick! Totally understand the rule, but for the most part, it is a stupid rule in my opinion [not today of course ;) ]
How so?

The pylon is part of the end zone. The ball was fumbled into the pylon, and therefore by definition was fumbled into and out of the end zone.

What other possible outcome is there?

I get what your saying as with any other fumble on the sideline the defending team has to show complete control of the football before it goes out of bounds in order to get the ball. But in this case if they changed the rule then where do you spot the ball?

Latest posts