Top three names on Jets coaching search list is interesting

iloveyoularrystation

Top 3 names on Jets coaching search according to a talking head is in order 3 guys we play on a regular basis:
1. Matt Campbell. They wanted him two years ago and he turned them down, said he wasn't interested in being a pro coach at the time
2. Fitz- who up until this year has said he's not interested in nfl jobs but then this year said he was open to it.
3. jim harbaugh. if they called he'd take that job in a heartbeat to get out of michigan and save face.

it will probably end up being one of the hot coordinator guys cause who wants to coach the jets honestly, but that's the top of the jets list i guess.

One of my buddies who is a huge cats fan thinks there is a 50/50 shot Fitz leaves. He said that with the president retiring and the AD taking that ACC job that there are rumblings that Fitz is gonna bail. I would have thought it wasn't possible, but if he's really worried about the admin changes, now is the time to bolt.

I would say, "could you imagine coaching the friggin' Jets", but it's gonna pay like, what, $5M/yr? So, yeah, I could imagine coaching the friggin' Jets!

I would say, "could you imagine coaching the friggin' Jets", but it's gonna pay like, what, $5M/yr? So, yeah, I could imagine coaching the friggin' Jets!

They've had two head coaches with a winning record. Parcells went 29-19 from '97-'99 and Al Groh coached a single year and went 9-7. Belichick was the interim HC for two very brief stints but never coached a game there. Remember Rich Kotite? 4-28. Wow.

New York can be a brutal place to coach, not many can stomach it. Of the names on that list I'd give Harbaugh the biggest chance at taking the job (if offered). I can't see either Fitz or Campbell accepting that job and both of those guys are going to show up on many coaching lists in both pro and college.

Yeah the Jets job and now the Jacksonville one are big dominos. Urban Meyers name is hot and heavy with the Jacksonville one.

I'm surprised that Michigan is letting Harbaugh dictate things the way they are. I mean if you don't want him fire him and start your search. Now others are ahead of you in that department. I don't think it's a money buyout thing. They are waiting on him to be done vacationing and see if he can get an NFL gig or not. I just think it's odd they still want him bad enough to let him keep them in limbo. But whatever.

Fitz will only leave if the Bears fire Nagy (which they should). He's not going to take the Jets job. I can't see Campbell taking the Jets job either. If the Jaguars offered him though that would be an intriguing job with the #1 pick (Lawrence) and some good offensive pieces already in place (Robinson, Chark).

Yeah the Jets job and now the Jacksonville one are big dominos. Urban Meyers name is hot and heavy with the Jacksonville one.

I'm surprised that Michigan is letting Harbaugh dictate things the way they are. I mean if you don't want him fire him and start your search. Now others are ahead of you in that department. I don't think it's a money buyout thing. They are waiting on him to be done vacationing and see if he can get an NFL gig or not. I just think it's odd they still want him bad enough to let him keep them in limbo. But whatever.
Maybe they learned their lesson from the Rich Rod and Hoke hires that being on a coaching carousal isn't a great idea. Harbaugh has had some success at Michigan, they have won 10 games 3 different times under Harbaugh and he is a legacy player so maybe they are giving him more rope. But they haven't beaten Ohio State since 2011 so the alumni has to be getting restless.

BTW, the Urban Meyer rumors are surprising. But I could see Meyer being interested in the job. It's in Florida and not in the glaring limelight like New York, so maybe he'd be interested.

Maybe they learned their lesson from the Rich Rod and Hoke hires that being on a coaching carousal isn't a great idea. Harbaugh has had some success at Michigan, they have won 10 games 3 different times under Harbaugh and he is a legacy player so maybe they are giving him more rope. But they haven't beaten Ohio State since 2011 so the alumni has to be getting restless.

BTW, the Urban Meyer rumors are surprising. But I could see Meyer being interested in the job. It's in Florida and not in the glaring limelight like New York, so maybe he'd be interested.
Yeah Michigan is clearly ready to bring him back. Harbaugh is the one looking to exit stage left. So if nothing in the NFL materializes for him he can just say he was on vacation and that's why he hadn't signed yet...

Yeah nothing would surprise me with Meyer too much. I can't see him coming back to college since he didn't end up at Texas. He isn't going to rebuild at a smaller school. If he's going to do anything now it'd be an NFL team with a fresh start. He'll get paid a boat load live in FL again new flashy QB to play with. Jacksonville makes some sense if he does do it. That said he may not either but we'll know soon enough. I think the coaching wheel will spin pretty fast

Like you say the jets have been a mess for almost ever. The former USC coach and current Seahawks coach was there for maybe one season, cant think of his name.

I dont know much about the jets as far and GM, mgmt, ownership, scouting but those are the main things needed in any of these organizations to be respectful at 8-8 to 10-6.

The one things the Jet's offer besides the big money, and who wouldnt want to get paid even $4 million for 5 years guaranteed, is if you even take them to a decent record in two years and a playoff spot in year 3 or 4 you will be hailed. And if you win a division title and win the playoffs you will be enshrined with Weeb Eubanks and all the other 1969 people.

Like you say the jets have been a mess for almost ever. The former USC coach and current Seahawks coach was there for maybe one season, cant think of his name.

I dont know much about the jets as far and GM, mgmt, ownership, scouting but those are the main things needed in any of these organizations to be respectful at 8-8 to 10-6.

The one things the Jet's offer besides the big money, and who wouldnt want to get paid even $4 million for 5 years guaranteed, is if you even take them to a decent record in two years and a playoff spot in year 3 or 4 you will be hailed. And if you win a division title and win the playoffs you will be enshrined with Weeb Eubanks and all the other 1969 people.

Nah, it's the same problem everywhere. Rex Ryan made two AFC title games and had to deal with the buzzsaw in New England during the regular season and managed to still get fired after going 4-12. Once you give Jet Fan just a taste of a modicum of success, you set the bar too high. They want the "next level." And only one of the 32 teams gets that sweet nectar and more and more that comes down to lucking into an ungodly QB in the draft and then praying you have an otherwise solid team before his second contract comes up AND that you have a fair share of luck in January.

Nah, it's the same problem everywhere. Rex Ryan made two AFC title games and had to deal with the buzzsaw in New England during the regular season and managed to still get fired after going 4-12. Once you give Jet Fan just a taste of a modicum of success, you set the bar too high. They want the "next level." And only one of the 32 teams gets that sweet nectar and more and more that comes down to lucking into an ungodly QB in the draft and then praying you have an otherwise solid team before his second contract comes up AND that you have a fair share of luck in January.
This is exactly why they need to go to the lottery draft system.

The whole premise of the, "finish last, pick first" thing is total bullshit. Back in great grandpappy's day someone decided that everything would be magically fair and equal because the shittiest team would get next year's best player, who would then single handedly save the franchise from the depths of despair. Also back then there were way fewer teams, so the first picking team would theoretically get the best player, then the 13th best player, and the 25th best player.....

Now you have 32 teams, so by the time the 2nd round comes up, the choices are completely watered down and the advantage to picking first is already gone. It's basically just luck by that point. In most cases the reverse picking method has just created a situation where 4 or 5 teams have become the cities where good quarterbacks go to die.

There needs to be at least a statistical chance that DeVonta Smith can go to Kansas City and have Pat Mahomes throw to him, or players need to have the option to extend a more robust right of first offer. Elway and Eli were absolute geniuses to do what they did. There's zero reason the best 4-5 college players should be forced to go to the most garbage teams every year. It's not good for football itself or the fans.

This is exactly why they need to go to the lottery draft system.

The whole premise of the, "finish last, pick first" thing is total bullshit. Back in great grandpappy's day someone decided that everything would be magically fair and equal because the shittiest team would get next year's best player, who would then single handedly save the franchise from the depths of despair. Also back then there were way fewer teams, so the first picking team would theoretically get the best player, then the 13th best player, and the 25th best player.....

Now you have 32 teams, so by the time the 2nd round comes up, the choices are completely watered down and the advantage to picking first is already gone. It's basically just luck by that point. In most cases the reverse picking method has just created a situation where 4 or 5 teams have become the cities where good quarterbacks go to die.

There needs to be at least a statistical chance that DeVonta Smith can go to Kansas City and have Pat Mahomes throw to him, or players need to have the option to extend a more robust right of first offer. Elway and Eli were absolute geniuses to do what they did. There's zero reason the best 4-5 college players should be forced to go to the most garbage teams every year. It's not good for football itself or the fans.

I haven't watched NFL regularly in several years, but it seems like basically unless you either had Tom Brady or you got a great QB and had him on his rookie deal you were pretty much eliminated from contention. A lottery won't change that. It is part of the problem with (a) the cap and (b) the fact that there are maybe 10 guys in the world who can consistently perform at the QB position. There's plenty of talent to go around at positions other than QB, but there are only a few organizations that are consistently good at scouting.

The rookie salary scale should supposedly fix things, but there was a stretch where if you got bad it was really hard to get out of the basement. Franchises like the Jets, Lions and Bengals would have those high picks and have an ungodly amount tied up in totally untested talent and be handicapped for years by two back to back first round busts. They should probably redo the rookie salary scale again and push it down even further or make the first pick of each team each year not count against the cap or something to try to mitigate that because that is the biggest factor that snowballs a bad draft into a detriment that hurts a team for years.

I've said it before, but tanking is as much about management as it is coaching. It'd be impossible to do in the NFL, but soccer does it right with their system of promotion and relegation. If a team cannot get their shit together and finish in the cellar, bump them down and move in one of the top teams from the league below them.

IF a team can't figure out a winning formula or one that makes them somewhat relevant then let them do it in a minor league.

I've said it before, but tanking is as much about management as it is coaching. It'd be impossible to do in the NFL, but soccer does it right with their system of promotion and relegation. If a team cannot get their shit together and finish in the cellar, bump them down and move in one of the top teams from the league below them.

IF a team can't figure out a winning formula or one that makes them somewhat relevant then let them do it in a minor league.
The relegation system is amazing. Wish we were able to use it here more often!

The NFL and even NBA are leagues where one or two guys or a splash draft class can dramatically change a team's fortune so relegation would be totally lame. The '99 Rams are a good reason why. The Rams were terrible for most of the '90's and clearly would have been relegated, but that '99 team was probably one of the most exciting NFL teams ever. The NFL has set up a potential for rags to riches if you hit on a QB and have some luck. The NBA, on the other hand, wow. What a garbage product. There are a couple of teams that have a shot because the players forged a bunch of super teams. It's already a de facto two league system.

The NFL and even NBA are leagues where one or two guys or a splash draft class can dramatically change a team's fortune so relegation would be totally lame. The '99 Rams are a good reason why. The Rams were terrible for most of the '90's and clearly would have been relegated, but that '99 team was probably one of the most exciting NFL teams ever. The NFL has set up a potential for rags to riches if you hit on a QB and have some luck. The NBA, on the other hand, wow. What a garbage product. There are a couple of teams that have a shot because the players forged a bunch of super teams. It's already a de facto two league system.

I agree with you about he Rams, but I don’t have a problem with super teams. At least management is making an effort to start dynasties rather than absolutely tanking year in and year out like the 76ers did with the process. All I’m saying is Philly wouldn’t have prided itself on being piss poor if rather than being rewarded with top draft picks for a poorly run franchise they risked getting demoted to a semi pro league.

Fitz won't be successful outside of Chicago, maybe not even outside northwestern.

Fitz would be successful at ND, but not successful enough to get them a title. I think if he went to a mid tier program that is in decent condition he'd be fine.

Latest posts