Top Recruit at Game

Hate to say it but his highlight reel reminds me a lot of Kyle Meyers. I really hope he isn't one of our "top" targets in 2016. I'm worried if that's the case.

Hate to say it but his highlight reel reminds me a lot of Kyle Meyers. I really hope he isn't one of our "top" targets in 2016. I'm worried if that's the case.

I have to agree with you. Not a big fan of Austin's game but Tyler Cook on the other hand.... full court press on him please!

Joey Wieskamp from Muscatine was there too. He is a 2018 recruit.

We were at some friends watching the ISU/Kansas game (I know, I know), anyway, this kids name was mentioned, said he was an incredible ball player....I have no other info than that, anyone else have the scoop on this kid?

We were at some friends watching the ISU/Kansas game (I know, I know), anyway, this kids name was mentioned, said he was an incredible ball player....I have no other info than that, anyone else have the scoop on this kid?
Joey you are just ok man. I will leave it at that

6'4" athletic freshman guard with handles and shooting range and a good feel for the game. One of the best players in the MAC right now.

I was trying to think of who that Davis kid reminded me of and Meyer is exactly what I was thinking. He looks like he's in slow motion out there against some really to put it nicely sub par competition. The Cook kid has some hops. Didn't see much else in that short clip on him but he can run and jump anyway.

Well, these young men certainly picked a good day to attend a game at
Carver Hawkeye arena. The Hawkeye team put on a really solid Hoops display

You need glasses. Nothing at all like Kyle Meyer.

Really? Why don't you thrill us with your basketball evaluation skills and explain to us what was on that highlight reel that wasnt on Kyle Meyer's. A couple of 3 pt shots? Check.
A couple of slow, unathletic post moves? Check.
Not a single defensive skill demonstrated? Check.
I might need glasses but you need a friggin clue.
If that guy ever averages 10 ppg in a Power 5 conference, I'll apologize.

Last edited:
I always liked Kyle Meyer and wish he would of stayed on the team. Austin Davis is as tall and probably heavier than Meyer and he is only a junior in high school. I thought his video looked pretty good. He isn't going to be some slender guy when its all said and done. He looks like he could really be a force at center for Iowa in the future. Either Austin Davis or Tyler Cook look pretty good to me. Pemsl is reportedly 6 ft 8 and still growing. If Iowa could get Kyle Meyer, Austin Davis, with Pemsl that would be over 750 lbs of power for Iowa in the front court. They all look like they have the potential to be great scorers and rebounders. All three of the guys have wider bodies than Olesani or Woodbury in the tenth grade.

Last edited:
I like Kyle Meyer just fine. I thought he could have been a productive role player for Iowa. Don't mistake my comments. This kid might be a productive role player too. I'm scared of the posibility of a "role player" being a top recruit for the season after next. I hope to God FM is targeting difference makers that far down the line. If he's not, we are in big trouble.

One things for sure... the offer list for Cook is much more impressive than Davis.

The link shows offers from Florida, Kansas, Mizzou, UCONN and Florida State.

I'm not sure it much matters or how accurate the timelines are as I don't follow recruiting too much but it shows we are the 2nd offer that Cook received, only behind Illinois State.

Yes, from what I've gathered, Fran was in on Cook early. Seems to be a pattern of Fran finding these kids early. Just a matter of finally getting them to sign.

Davis is a decently skilled big man that has improved his game quite a bit from where he was at a year ago. It usually takes a guy his size time to catch up with his body. Worse case Fran ends up looking elsewhere, best case Fran was in on him early if his game does take off.

I always liked Kyle Meyer and wish he would of stayed on the team. Austin Davis is as tall and probably heavier than Meyer and he is only a junior in high school. I thought his video looked pretty good. He isn't going to be some slender guy when its all said and done. He looks like he could really be a force at center for Iowa in the future. Either Austin Davis or Tyler Cook look pretty good to me. Pemsl is reportedly 6 ft 8 and still growing. If Iowa could get Kyle Meyer, Austin Davis, with Pemsl that would be over 750 lbs of power for Iowa in the front court. They all look like they have the potential to be great scorers and rebounders. All three of the guys have wider bodies than Woodbury and Olesani and they are only in the eleventh grade. I'm sure they will develop a lot in two years.

Latest posts