Top PG is more important...where?

revkev73

Is a talented PG more important on the defensive or offensive end over the course of a successful season?

Comments?

Is a talented PG more important on the defensive or offensive end over the course of a successful season?

Comments?

Hard to say, but the real problems are on defense and getting beat by the point puts the rest behind a step.

However we are probably missing about 8 points a game where the PT doesn't create a threat. The diff is probably more like 14, but JBo's shooting makes some of it back.

When MG was PG, we needed a “true PG” for offense, now with JBo at PG we need a “true PG” for defense. The thing is a “true pg” is kind of a moving target around here.

I don't think it is a moving target...a top flight point guard has quickness, lateral quickness...it is dangerous on offense and defense.

Neither JB nor MG had that gift...

MG dribbled with his right hand 90% of the time and was afraid to shoot...JB is an excellent shooter and doesn't have the quickness to penetrate or to keep in front of athletes...neither were quintessential PGs...more accurately out of position...tweeners...

In my opinion...a PG without lateral quickness is a liability on defense more than on offense.

I don't think it is a moving target...a top flight point guard has quickness, lateral quickness...it is dangerous on offense and defense.

Neither JB nor MG had that gift...

MG dribbled with his right hand 90% of the time and was afraid to shoot...JB is an excellent shooter and doesn't have the quickness to penetrate or to keep in front of athletes...neither were quintessential PGs...more accurately out of position...tweeners...

In my opinion...a PG without lateral quickness is a liability on defense more than on offense.
Okay I’ll shoot a scenario at you. Michigan State has Tum Tum Nairn (backup), and Cassius Winston starter. Tum Tum more fits the bill of the “True PG” with the quickness to penetrate and keep guys in front, while Winston isn’t particularly athletic but is a really good passer and knows how to use a screen well and is a threat from the outside, while Tum Tum can’t shoot at all. Do you consider Winston a true PG?

Mine was a hypothetical question...JB is a tweener for PG and SG in size and quickness...my two cents...

He is the PG because we have no other PG options...

this year it is more needed on the defensive end but there is so much more needed there. One time down the court there is this guy out of position and the next time it is someone else - we just aren't playing good consistent team defense

When MG was PG, we needed a “true PG” for offense, now with JBo at PG we need a “true PG” for defense. The thing is a “true pg” is kind of a moving target around here.

no, MG couldn't shoot so defenses sagged off him and he couldn't penetrate the lane. JBo can shoot but his isn't quick enough or have enough handles to penetrate the lane.

Apparently not moving quick enough on defense. :D

no, MG couldn't shoot so defenses sagged off him and he couldn't penetrate the lane. JBo can shoot but his isn't quick enough or have enough handles to penetrate the lane.
This is true.

Imagine JBo instead of MG on the Uthoff team. With Clemmons ability to handle the PG spot and strong perimeter defense, JBo could do more of the things he excels at. Imagine how lethal that team would have been offensively with JBo, Jok, and Uthoff all shooting 3s around 40%.

This is true.

Imagine JBo instead of MG on the Uthoff team. With Clemmons ability to handle the PG spot and strong perimeter defense, JBo could do more of the things he excels at. Imagine how lethal that team would have been offensively with JBo, Jok, and Uthoff all shooting 3s around 40%.

yeah, man, timing is everything.

Latest posts