Top 50 College Hoops Coaches

Fran has made good progress at Iowa, and I would say the progress has been pretty steady. Probably "on schedule" is what I would say.

Look at Nebraska and ISU.. Neither of those programs were in great shape when Miles & Hoiberg took over either, and they got their teams to the dance in year 2. THAT is "quick" IMO.

Again, I'm not complaining about the progress Fran has made with the program. He's done a terrific job.

Good progress? Steady? On schedule?

Did you fall asleep and miss the end of February and March?

Time will tell how bad it was, but this year's debacle cannot be called "progress."

Time will tell how bad it was, but this year's debacle cannot be called "progress."

Sure it can, we made the NCAA tournament this year, last year we didn't. We ranked in the top 25 for the majority of the year, we made our first appearance in the top 10 in about a decade. All signs of progress.

Sure it can, we made the NCAA tournament this year, last year we didn't. We ranked in the top 25 for the majority of the year, we made our first appearance in the top 10 in about a decade. All signs of progress.

Were in the top 25 until the end of the regular season, fell out the week of the conference tournaments. Don't forget Wisconsin had a losing streak of 5 out of 6, of course they could have been National Champs with a break. Syracuse lost 5 out of 7 at the end of the season. Losing to Boston College who had only won 6 games at the time. They were our Northwestern.....

I don't anticipate another late season fail again. Every other year Fran had the team improving very well as he season closed. Couple of years we were the team no other Big team wanted to play, season two and three....

:rolleyes:

Were in the top 25 until the end of the regular season, fell out the week of the conference tournaments. Don't forget Wisconsin had a losing streak of 5 out of 6, of course they could have been National Champs with a break. Syracuse lost 5 out of 7 at the end of the season. Losing to Boston College who had only won 6 games at the time. They were our Northwestern.....

I don't anticipate another late season fail again. Every other year Fran had the team improving very well as he season closed. Couple of years we were the team no other Big team wanted to play, season two and three....

:rolleyes:

Iowa also had a tough matchup in Tennessee....They were playing well and were a tough out in the tourney. They were a lucky bounch away from making the final 4....Iowa wins over several 6-12 seeds in the field.

And an improvement over Alford who was #36 on the list

No way in the world that Fran should be higher than Alford.

I think Fran is doing a great job, but he has not accomplished anything close to what Alford has in his career thus far. Not even close.

And yes, the article states that it is the top coaches "right now", but even then, Alford is still a lot better just by going off of this past year.

Fran should be really happy about being this high on the list.

No way in the world that Fran should be higher than Alford.

I think Fran is doing a great job, but he has not accomplished anything close to what Alford has in his career thus far. Not even close.

And yes, the article states that it is the top coaches "right now", but even then, Alford is still a lot better just by going off of this past year.

Fran should be really happy about being this high on the list.

What exactly did Alford do here, oh brilliant one? Lose in the first round every year he made the NCAA tournament?

What exactly did Alford do here, oh brilliant one? Lose in the first round every year he made the NCAA tournament?

The first round is the play-in round, which Alford passed and Iowa lost in.

Regardless, the list is a joke having Scott Drew below Fran. Drew had a Sweet 16, NIT Championship (by blowing out Iowa), and an Elite 8. All three seasons were better than Fran's.

Regardless, the list is a joke having Scott Drew below Fran. Drew had a Sweet 16, NIT Championship (by blowing out Iowa), and an Elite 8. All three seasons were better than Fran's.

Fran is a good coach but there are several guys on that list that Fran has no business being in front of whether you count career success or recent success.

I don't think Scott Drew is a great coach but Baylor was basically given the death penalty and look what he's done there. Geez, he was just in the Sweet 16 last year! Barnes and Alford have also exceeded anything FM has done whether we want to admit that or not

You think Scott Drew should be ahead of Fred? I never thought I'd hear a Clone fan say that.

You think Scott Drew should be ahead of Fred? I never thought I'd hear a Clone fan say that.

You need to get your hearing checked. In those three years, he did better than Fred in post season three seasons ago, Fred did better in the second (NCAA > NIT), and they tied in the last one. ISU also brought home a Big 12 tournament championship (over Baylor). In direct head to head contests in these last three years, ISU has a 5-2 record over Baylor.

You need to get your hearing checked. In those three years, he did better than Fred in post season three seasons ago, Fred did better in the second (NCAA > NIT), and they tied in the last one. ISU also brought home a Big 12 tournament championship (over Baylor). In direct head to head contests in these last three years, ISU has a 5-2 record over Baylor.

Sorry I can't look it up now but when did ISU go to the elite eight? I must have missed that run.

You clowns realize that Iowa is not McCaffery's first job, right? He has now taken four different schools to the NCAA's and all of them were rebuilding jobs.

I'm not sure why Ollie is ahead of Fran actually, I mean last year Iowa had a better postseason and this year Uconn had a better one, so they're tied one-one over the last two years.

I'm not sure why Ollie is ahead of Fran actually, I mean last year Iowa had a better postseason and this year Uconn had a better one, so they're tied one-one over the last two years.

When did Fran win a game in the NCAA tournament with Iowa? I must have missed that one for him to get ranked at #33.

When did Fran win a game in the NCAA tournament with Iowa? I must have missed that one for him to get ranked at #33.

Fran has taken 4 different teams to the big dance. He hasn't won an NCAA tourney game with Iowa yet but he has won with Sienna (21 point win as a 13 seed) and they also beat the Buckeyes the year after in the first round and almost upset the #1 seed Louisville team in the next game.

Yes. The last month or so of this season doesn't erase everything that happened the previous 3+ years.

Yeah, the ending to this season sucked and left a sour taste to be sure, but let's keep a little perspective, shall we?

I'm willing to bet that back in January of this past season when Iowa was ranked #10 in the country that you were just as excited about the program as the rest of us.

Latest posts