Top 10 2011 Sports Predictions

SteveDeace

10 Sports Predictions for 2011

1. The Detroit Red Wings will defeat the Pittsburgh Penguins in the Stanley Cup Finals.

2. Not only will the star-studded Miami Heat not win the NBA title nor will the Los Angeles Lakers three-peat, but neither one of them will even make it to the NBA Finals. The Boston Celtics will meet the San Antonio Spurs in what will essentially be the last hurrah for two veteran squads.

3. The Philadelphia Phillies will face the Boston Red Sox in the World Series.

4. Completing his storybook comeback story, Michael Vick will lead the Eagles to a victory over his former team on the road to win the NFC title game and advance to Super Bowl 45 versus the New England Patriots.

5. The labor unrest in the NFL will be settled in time for the 2011 regular season, which will be expanded to 18 games. There is simply too much money at stake not just for both sides but for several other industries and networks that rely upon pro football for revenue and/or marketing to see the season put at risk in lieu of a deal.

6. The only two teams in the state to make the NCAA Tournament will be the Iowa and Iowa State women’s basketball squads.

7. Jim Harbaugh will be the next head coach at the University of Michigan, and Rich Rodriguez will spend the season working for television.

8. The Iowa State football team will finish 3-9.

9. The Iowa football team will finish 8-4 and be invited to the Gator Bowl.

10. The BCS matchups will be:
BCS National Championship Game—Oklahoma vs. Oregon
Rose Bowl—Notre Dame vs. Ohio State
Fiesta Bowl—Michigan vs. Texas A&M
Sugar Bowl—Connecticut vs. LSU
Orange Bowl—Georgia vs. Virginia Tech

By the way…if you’re curious here were my 10 sports predictions for 2010 posted 12 months ago:

10. The Chicago Black Hawks will win their first Stanley Cup since 1961.

9. The New York Yankees and Philadelphia Phillies will meet in the first World Series rematch since 1978.

8. The Minnesota Vikings will face the San Diego Chargers in Super Bowl 44.

7. The Iowa State women and Northern Iowa men will be the only in-state participants in the 2010 NCAA Tournament.

6. Iowa State men’s basketball coach Greg McDermott will not be fired.

5. Kansas will defeat Kentucky for the 2010 NCAA Basketball Championship.

4. The Iowa State football squad will finish 7-5 and be invited to play in the Texas bowl.

3. The Iowa football team will be Big Ten co-champions and finish 10-2.

2. Next year’s BCS bowl matchups will be:
BCS National Championship—Oregon vs. Boise State
Rose Bowl—TCU vs. Iowa
Fiesta Bowl—Texas vs. Florida
Sugar Bowl—Alabama vs. Ohio State
Orange Bowl—Miami, Fla. vs. Connecticut

1. The Big Ten will announce it’s expanding to 14 teams by adding Nebraska, Pittsburgh, and Rutgers.

scUM to a BCS bowl? Really?

Does Harbaugh bring a "just add water" defense with him?

Also....who wins the inaugural Legends/Leaders champ game?

HAHA, it will be fun to watch everyone pile on the missed predictions. I will challenge those posters to make 10 predictions themselves and we can re visit them next year!

HAHA, it will be fun to watch everyone pile on the missed predictions. I will challenge those posters to make 10 predictions themselves and we can re visit them next year!
I'll take that challenge, sir. In response to Deace's predictions:

1. I know little about the NHL, so I'll predict that the TV ratings for the Stanley Cup will be the lowest that they have ever been.

2. The Celtics will beat the Lakers in the NBA finals.

3. At least 1 of the Phillies starting rotation will have a season-ending injury, allowing the Braves to sneak into the Series against the Yankees.

4. Vick will limp into the NFC championship game, but will lose in the Georgia Dome to the Falcons. Dirty Birds are 19-1 at home when Ryan has played.

5. Agree with Deace here.

6. Agree with Deace here, but it's not really a bold prediction. I'll predict that Kansas beats OSU for the national championship.

7. Jim Harbaugh will be coaching in the NFL, probably the Niners.

8. ISU will win 4 games (UNI, Baylor, Kansas, and 1 major upset).

9. Iowa will finish 9-3 and the winning streak against PSU will end.

10. LSU will beat Oklahoma for the BCS championship. Too lazy to pick the other BCS games.

Bonus prediction: I will be correct on 3 or less of the above predictions.

Michigan is firing their coach and they are going to make a BCS bowl? Are you joking or delusional? Jim Harbaugh is not making it to a BCS bowl next year. The only way they make it to one of those is if RR stays because he can make the offense overcome the defensive shortcomings they will have next year no mater the coach.

1. Sharks will take care of business and win the Cup this year.

2. Usain Bolt will run 9.55 seconds or faster in the 100 meters.

3. Lakers-Spurs in the Conference Finals will be a much better series LA's win over Miami in the Finals will be.

4. Jeremy Hellickson will be the AL ROY as Tampa Bay gets back to the World Series; they lose to Philadelphia in 5 games.

5. The NFC West champion will win a playoff game, the Eagles will win the NFC, and the Ravens will win the Super Bowl.

6. Either the NBA or NFL will have a lockout, but not both.

7. UCONN will NOT win the NCAA Tournament in women's basketball. Look for Stanford to get the job done for the first time in almost 20 years.

8. Florida State will capitalize on coaching turmoil at their two rivals, land consensus #1 recruit Jadaveon Clowney as the cornerstone of a #1 class, and roll to an ACC title before meeting Auburn and two-time Heisman winner Cam Newton in the title game.

9. The game of the year in football will be undefeated USC's victory over #1 Oregon at Autzen on November 19.

10. Iowa will win the Plains Division, but will lose to Lakes Division champ Ohio State in the Target Big Ten Championship Game.
Rose Bowl: Ohio State (12-1) vs. Oregon (12-1)
Sugar Bowl: South Carolina (10-3) vs. Boise State (12-0)
Orange Bowl: South Florida (9-3) vs. Texas (11-1)
Fiesta Bowl: Oklahoma (11-1) vs. Iowa (11-2)
Heisman Finalists:
Cam Newton, Darren Thomas, Matt Barkley, Marcus Lattimore, and Denard Robinson.

Last edited:
Deace, I really miss hearing you on sports talk radio.

College football just isn't the same without your analysis.

And you are nuts for predicting Michigan to the BCS next year :)

Wow, Michigan and ND in BCS bowls. Has either team beaten a quality opponent in either of the last two years?

1. The Cubs will make the playoffs in 2011.
2. 2011 will be Norm Parkers last as defensive coordinator.
3. The Cam Newton saga is not over.
4. Iowa will win a game in the Big Ten Mens BBall Tourney and finish with at least 14 wins.
5. The Miami Heat will not make the NBA Finals.
6. The Chicago Bulls will.
7. The NFL will avoid a lockout.
8. The NBA will not, and at least two teams will not make it out of the re-organization.
9. Iowa will finish 9-3 and be playing for a trip to Indy at Lincoln.
10. Ohio State will win its seventh consecutive Big 10 title. People in Columbus will still complain.

I predict Deace will make a bunch of bad football picks, then lie about his record to cover it up.

1. The Cubs will make the playoffs in 2011.
2. 2011 will be Norm Parkers last as defensive coordinator.
3. The Cam Newton saga is not over.
4. Iowa will win a game in the Big Ten Mens BBall Tourney and finish with at least 14 wins.
5. The Miami Heat will not make the NBA Finals.
6. The Chicago Bulls will.
7. The NFL will avoid a lockout.
8. The NBA will not, and at least two teams will not make it out of the re-organization.
9. Iowa will finish 9-3 and be playing for a trip to Indy at Lincoln.
10. Ohio State will win its seventh consecutive Big 10 title. People in Columbus will still complain.

Except for 1 and 6 everything else is very plausible.

One prediction, Ken O'Keefe will continue to dazzle and amaze and the Hawks offense will finish no worse than 93rd in the nation next year.

You do realize that you just said Notre Dame would be in a BCS game in 2011. That's funny stuff and if a laugh was what you were looking for you got one out of me.

Last edited:
1. Ohio State and Northwestern will face off in the first Big Ten Championship game.
2. Indianapolis faces Atlanta in the Superbowl with Peyton getting ring #2.
3. Michigan State stumbles through the Big Ten season but gets hot late and wins the NCAA tourney.
4. Twins vs. Rockies in World Series- Twins in 6.
5. Iowa goes 9-3 and 6-2 in Big Ten with a loss to Pitt OOC. ISU goes 5-7 next season.
6. Oklahoma vs. Florida State in BCS championship game. Oklahoma wins.
7. Chris Hassel gets Gary Dolphin to take a swing at him.
8. Tiger Woods goes winless in the majors again. So does Zach Johnson.
9. Knicks fade and don't make the playoffs.
10. Lakers vs. Celtics- Lakers sweep and Shaq kills Kobe after the series.

Deace,
How can you put Michigan in a BCS game? Outside of that, I think your picks looks pretty good. Denard will NOT be a QB if Rich Rod leaves.

Latest posts