Too Early To Start Looking At RPI?

1977Hawkeye

Iowa currently 26th in the RPI:
NCAA College Basketball RPI Rankings - ESPN

The Arkansas Pine Bluff game certainly isn't going to help, but with a road game @ISU (18 RPI) coming up Friday, I'm hoping that these last two OOC games will more or less be a wash as far as the RPI is concerned, or at least not drop a whole lot if it doesn't win @ISU. If Iowa wins both games, even better. 30's at worst heading into Big Ten games, I would think?

At any rate, with conference play nearly upon us and Iowa's RPI sitting where it is, and a more difficult conference schedule this year, it looks like RPI is not a concern. Certainly better than a year ago. Iowa just needs to do it's part the next few months and notch a few big conference wins (I think it will), get to 20+ overall and I don't think there will be any doubt about our NCAA hopes this year just as long as the team doesn't face plant in conference.

On a side note, I was a bit surprised to see both Notre Dame and Michigan in the 150's.. Those two teams have some ground to make up.

Iowa currently 26th in the RPI:

The Arkansas Pine Bluff game certainly isn't going to help, but with a road game @ISU (18 RPI) coming up Friday, I'm hoping that these last two OOC games will more or less be a wash as far as the RPI is concerned, or at least not drop a whole lot if it doesn't win @ISU. If Iowa wins both games, even better. 30's at worst heading into Big Ten games, I would think?

At any rate, with conference play nearly upon us and Iowa's RPI sitting where it is, and a more difficult conference schedule this year, it looks like RPI is not a concern. Certainly better than a year ago. Iowa just needs to do it's part the next few months and notch a few big conference wins (I think it will), get to 20+ overall and I don't think there will be any doubt about our NCAA hopes this year just as long as the team doesn't face plant in conference.

On a side note, I was a bit surprised to see both Notre Dame and Michigan in the 150's.. Those two teams have some ground to make up.

It's only too early when our RPI is bad. In this case, I'd say it's pretty meaningful.

It's only too early when our RPI is bad. In this case, I'd say it's pretty meaningful.

I don't recall what our RPI was last year heading into Big Ten games.. 80's or 90's at best? Iowa still will have to go out and earn an NCAA bid against a tough conference schedule, but at least it isn't behind the 8-ball this year with the RPI. 125 spots ahead of Michigan? Yeah, I like where we're at.

Looks like Michigan & ND's non-conference SOS is pretty horrible.

Biggest difference from last year to this year is we currently only have 1 team with a RPI below 300.

Maryland Eastern Shore is 303-313 depending on the site. The rest are all better than 278-282 (Ab Christian)...last year we had multiple below 300.

Not sure if MES can get into the 200's before end of year and not sure those teams will stay in that range when they play similar teams but we may end up without a 300 RPI team this year.

Biggest difference from last year to this year is we currently only have 1 team with a RPI below 300.

Maryland Eastern Shore is 303-313 depending on the site. The rest are all better than 278-282 (Ab Christian)...last year we had multiple below 300.

Not sure if MES can get into the 200's before end of year and not sure those teams will stay in that range when they play similar teams but we may end up without a 300 RPI team this year.

Abilene-Christian doesn't count in the official RPI ranking.

I don't recall what our RPI was last year heading into Big Ten games.. 80's or 90's at best? Iowa still will have to go out and earn an NCAA bid against a tough conference schedule, but at least it isn't behind the 8-ball this year with the RPI. 125 spots ahead of Michigan? Yeah, I like where we're at.

Looks like Michigan & ND's non-conference SOS is pretty horrible.

I have a hard time believing Michigan's SOS numbers would be bad. After playing at Hilton, at Cameron, two neutral site games against somewhat good teams...I would think their RPI numbers have to be bad at this point because they haven't won enough.

Notre Dame on the other hand, yeah that's a bad schedule. They have wins over the 311, 333, 341, and 350 ranked teams.

It is neat to look at but it will have more significance once conference play begins. But at this time last year I think Iowa's RPI was about 150, so pretty big improvement just looking at the non conference slate.

I have a hard time believing Michigan's SOS numbers would be bad. After playing at Hilton, at Cameron, two neutral site games against somewhat good teams...I would think their RPI numbers have to be bad at this point because they haven't won enough.

Notre Dame on the other hand, yeah that's a bad schedule. They have wins over the 311, 333, 341, and 350 ranked teams.

Michigan's non-conference SOS is 251:

Notre Dame's is 281:

So ND's SOS is a little worse than Michigan's, but not drastically so, at least if you believe the RPI. Iowa's, by comparison, is 129.

I think Michigan has a game against Arizona in the near future, so their RPI should go up before conference play begins.

And Notre Dame's next 2 games are against Indiana (Dec 14) and Ohio State (Dec 21) at neutral sites.

Latest posts