Tony Perkins to the Portal

I cannot speak for all to your question but income from sports while in college is a relatively new parameter here. I don't like it, I think it is bad for the game. My opinion and I'm sure yours is different. That's ok.

It is ok. It wouldn't matter to the landscape of college sports if I shared your opinion, however. The toothpaste ain't going back in the tube. This is the new norm. 9-0 in the SCOTUS. The rich ppl f'd this one up. They should have just shared more of the pie without going to court. They were stuck in the '90s thinking cost of attendance was enough. Not with the money coming in it ain't. They're lucky they had it their way for as long as they did.

I think quite a few people feel like you do. I also think, based on the ratings and TV money, people will still watch and consume just like they do with the woke NFL and NBA.

Yes the world will keep turning and the sports will continue to be played and watched. I know I haven't changed any. I just don't think it will be good for the kids and the sports long term. Time will tell.

I cannot speak for all to your question but income from sports while in college is a relatively new parameter here. I don't like it, I think it is bad for the game. My opinion and I'm sure yours is different. That's ok.
You apparently grew up in a privileged household.

Because I did not, and to me earning income from playing sports while in college (especially when the NCAA has executives making millions of dollars a year because of your talents) sounds like a fantastic way to start off in life.

Ask yourself this...if a random college history major was a good artist but came from a poor family, and had people willing to pay him several thousand dollars for each of his paintings or pieces of pottery...would you object to him selling his artwork while he attended school? Absolutely not. You'd praise him for being a shrewd entrepreneur and making his own way in life by using his talents. This is no different my friend. Would you tell him he couldn't take art classes or exhibit his pieces on University property because he was no longer an amateur artist?

To make it worse, in my example the university isn't making gobs of money off of this student like they and the NCAA do off the backs of athletes.

The pros could fix one problem by simply waiting until say age 22 to draft anyone. After all, they already have a full roster. For every college kid they take someone else loses their job. I think you could fix NIL too by just having everything go into one basket per team, be disclosed to the public, and allocated back to the kids by the school.

You apparently grew up in a privileged household.

Because I did not, and to me earning income from playing sports while in college (especially when the NCAA has executives making millions of dollars a year because of your talents) sounds like a fantastic way to start off in life.

Ask yourself this...if a random college history major was a good artist but came from a poor family, and had people willing to pay him several thousand dollars for each of his paintings or pieces of pottery...would you object to him selling his artwork while he attended school? Absolutely not. You'd praise him for being a shrewd entrepreneur and making his own way in life by using his talents. This is no different my friend. Would you tell him he couldn't take art classes or exhibit his pieces on University property because he was no longer an amateur artist?

To make it worse, in my example the university isn't making gobs of money off of this student like they and the NCAA do off the backs of athletes.
Grew up in a single parent poverty level home. Free school lunches and no car, a father who refused to pay child support. Quite the opposite of privileged.

Latest posts