Tony Moeaki gets headline from KC Star

I still don't think most people realize what he would have done if he'd have stayed healthy. I think the list of best TE's to play at Iowa would have been Moeaki, Clark, and Cook

I still don't think most people realize what he would have done if he'd have stayed healthy. I think the list of best TE's to play at Iowa would have been Moeaki, Clark, and Cook

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. If's and But's were candy and nuts........

I want Tony to do well and I want him to succeed because it's a positive reflection on our program. Thing is, Tony was hurt and hurt often. When he was hurt it was't just one injury, but several. However, even when he wasn't hurt the dude didn't put up numbers. Sure last year he had two nice games. Other than that he had lots of games with zero or one catch and that was true throughout his career.

Agreed. Coach Ferentz called him the best tight end he's coached. But what does he know about tight ends? :)

Tony had more talent at the TE position, taking every aspect into consideration, than any Iowa TE of my lifetime..that includes Clark, that includes Cook and the entire group. That's my opinion, one that I have shared several times and one that folks disagree with, but that's OK. Unfortunately, his injuries derailed what would have been an all American career.

None of the others played as a true frosh, because none of them had the blocking skills and the size that Tony had...He was Iowa's best blocker for most of his career, and a better blocker than Clark as a freshman.

Of course, there is always the fact that I just luv me too much Moeaki...but keep in mind I am from West Branch, and Marv Cook was one of my first sports idols as he was five years ahead of me.

Last edited:
Tony had more talent at the TE position, taking every aspect into consideration, than any Iowa TE of my lifetime..

But that's the problem, Jon, you are NOT taking every aspect into consideration.

Football is a physical game, and Tony lacked the health and toughness to play at a consistent level. Moeaki never had serious injuries, it was always the nagging kind.

We'll never be able to prove who was tougher between the TEs and even factoring bad luck into the mix, it's pretty clear that Iowa has had other TEs who played through more pain.

This criticism is every bit as legit as criticizing Tavian Banks for not being tough enough to run between the tackles. It's not a character attack, it's a weakness in his game. Tavian wasn't the best RB we've had (even though he was the fastest, best acceleration, best moves, best hands, etc) because he could perform what was required when it was required. No different with Moeaki. He was good for 1 to 2 games a year, EACH AND EVERY YEAR.

But that's the problem, Jon, you are NOT taking every aspect into consideration.

Football is a physical game, and Tony lacked the health and toughness to play at a consistent level. Moeaki never had serious injuries, it was always the nagging kind.

We'll never be able to prove who was tougher between the TEs and even factoring bad luck into the mix, it's pretty clear that Iowa has had other TEs who played through more pain.

This criticism is every bit as legit as criticizing Tavian Banks for not being tough enough to run between the tackles. It's not a character attack, it's a weakness in his game. Tavian wasn't the best RB we've had (even though he was the fastest, best acceleration, best moves, best hands, etc) because he could perform what was required when it was required. No different with Moeaki. He was good for 1 to 2 games a year, EACH AND EVERY YEAR.

While toughness and durability are very important, they have nothing to do with an individual's talent/potential. They just determine whether or not a player can reach his potential, which is what happened to Moeaki. And Moeaki's injury in 2007 was serious (torn ligaments in his elbow, or something like that? Missed the majority of the season with it), but I agree they were mostly nagging injuries.

Really? The kid dislocated his elbow @ Wisky in 2007. I would not call that a "nagging" injury.

Tony had more talent at the TE position, taking every aspect into consideration, than any Iowa TE of my lifetime..that includes Clark, that includes Cook and the entire group. That's my opinion, one that I have shared several times and one that folks disagree with, but that's OK. Unfortunately, his injuries derailed what would have been an all American career.

None of the others played as a true frosh, because none of them had the blocking skills and the size that Tony had...He was Iowa's best blocker for most of his career, and a better blocker than Clark as a freshman.

Of course, there is always the fact that I just luv me too much Moeaki...but keep in mind I am from West Branch, and Marv Cook was one of my first sports idols as he was five years ahead of me.

There's a word for that, and it's call potential. As I was taught early on potential is a French word for not worth a damn yet. To say injuries derailed what would have been an AA career would be hyperbole and careless reporting on anybody's part. You have no way of knowing that. The only thing we know for sure after 5 years of Tony Moeaki is that when he wasn't hurt he was inconsistent.

When he was playing he was consistently a great blocker. In most TE schemes that is the main function of a TE. I also question his inconsistency an offensive Thereat. He received a lot of double coverage and still made a lot of plays. For example, in last year's MSU game everyone on the field and in the announcers booth expected the final play to be a designed play for Moeaki. He was covered like a glove on all 4 of the pass plays. How much did that help Marvin?

The antecedent of the current Iowa TE's, Jim Swift, would be very proud of his lineage.

Football is a physical game, and Tony lacked the health and toughness to play at a consistent level.

Go ask Kirk about Tony's toughness. He has repeatedly said Tony is one of the best football players he has ever been around. Getting hurt doesnt mean you are not tough...a lot of times, Tony was unlucky.

There's a word for that, and it's call potential. As I was taught early on potential is a French word for not worth a damn yet. To say injuries derailed what would have been an AA career would be hyperbole and careless reporting on anybody's part. You have no way of knowing that. The only thing we know for sure after 5 years of Tony Moeaki is that when he wasn't hurt he was inconsistent.

Potential for AA numbers...I agree. "Not worth a damn" I totally disagree. Tony was the best TE, talent wise, since I started watching Iowa football in 1980, IMO. He produced when he was on the field.

Go ask Kirk about Tony's toughness. He has repeatedly said Tony is one of the best football players he has ever been around. Getting hurt doesnt mean you are not tough...a lot of times, Tony was unlucky.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a private one-on-one with Kirk and ask all sorts of questions. Now, if I did, asking about Tony's toughness wouldn't even be on the list. Why? Because my two eyes have shown me the same things your two eyes did as it pertains to Tony. Fact is facts is facts. Tony was hurt and hurt often. When Tony wasn't hurt he was not consitent.

Latest posts