Today's Breakout Player

Rogers - Besides running the ball Iowa RBs have to be proficient at blocking. If you want to sell the play action, not give it away by personnel changes, then you want the running back that's been carrying the ball in there to block when passing. Rogers is hands down the best blocker in the group. He is used to running behind this OL. I'm sure they will use him in goal line situations but I believe he has KF's confidence and that will equal more carries for Brad.

Been saying this for a while, now. My premise is, the TE's need to have at least 15 targets as part of the single back, twin tight and shotgun packages that will need to be emphasized. Quick passes / slants will be the way to exploit the aggressive lb blitz attack that OK will throw at Iowa and basically replace the depleted / unproven rushing game.

To repeat, Iowa - particularly JVB - will simply be overwhelmed trying to run it's slow-developing play-action offense from under center. OK will eliminate MMcN, much like Nebraska (and, somewhat, PSU) were able to do and that leaves the TE's - especially CJ Fed - as really the only option to sustain the offense.

IF JVB delivers and CJ doesn't get the dropsies, I set the + / - for his box at:
-- 6 catches
-- 65 yards

Stillbuster is right that the passing game needs to mostly be quick passes and I like TE sitdown routes where they are stationary targets.

I disagree about the running game though. I dont think most Big 12 teams are used to a offensive line run blocking like Iowa's. IF the o-line is making good block calls and taking advantage of OU's agressiveness the running game could find some nice lanes. I hope the new rbs just run on instinct and with no tentiveness.

Someone else said Hyde. I don't think that would count as a "breakout", but I would say to Oklahomans:
Hyde yo kids!
Hyde yo wifes!

I hope it is JVB that has a breakout game. Even when he has been good this year, it just seems like his performance lacks something. We will need him to be very good tonight. If JVB is great tonight it will translate to other good performances on offense. On D I would like to see Binns go out with a great performance, he has been a great Hawkeye.

While I like De'andre as a player, Kirk said that he missed practice time and specifically mentioned Bullock as doing well. Then again, he mentioned Jason White before he mentioned Bullock, but may be due to his Depth Chart Slotting Status.

I like the way the OP is thinking but Rogers is a very big stretch.

I'm going to say JVB.... In order for Iowa to win, JVB must come up HUGE..

My Sleeper is BINNS

Last edited:
Been saying this for a while, now. My premise is, the TE's need to have at least 15 targets as part of the single back, twin tight and shotgun packages that will need to be emphasized. Quick passes / slants will be the way to exploit the aggressive lb blitz attack that OK will throw at Iowa and basically replace the depleted / unproven rushing game.

To repeat, Iowa - particularly JVB - will simply be overwhelmed trying to run it's slow-developing play-action offense from under center. OK will eliminate MMcN, much like Nebraska (and, somewhat, PSU) were able to do and that leaves the TE's - especially CJ Fed - as really the only option to sustain the offense.

IF JVB delivers and CJ doesn't get the dropsies, I set the + / - for his box at:
-- 6 catches
-- 65 yards

What makes you think OU will shut down McNutt? Alfonzo Dennard is a projected first round pick. The Sooners don't have a corner anywhere near that caliber this year.

What makes you think OU will shut down McNutt? Alfonzo Dennard is a projected first round pick. The Sooners don't have a corner anywhere near that caliber this year.

Maybe not man-man but by blitz scheme and aggressive coverage -- I see OK jamming him hard, which throws him off pace enough that another second is lost, allowing the blitz to be even more effective. In other words, I just don't think JVB will have enough time to drop and toss to him that effectively, so, while it's not necessarily "shutting down" MMcN, it nullifies his productivity by disrupting him as a target.

Now, Marv on the slant -- sure! Or, this might be the game they actually execute the bubble screen for the first time all year. (The other handful of attempts have been near disasters.)

Go Hawks!

Latest posts