To be clear we do like this style of ball right?

HaydenHawk56

Uptempo: Fast Breaking
Not afraid to play zone defense along with to man to man
Full Court and Half Court Pressing
Trying to get the ball inside and will shoot the 3 ball

However, is it the degree that we don't have the personal to run these schemes as much as we would like to?

We like the style, we just don't have the talent right now. Is that what it really comes down to?

That is what I think too. I think ultimately Fran's success or lack thereof will be determined by recruiting, player development, and retention of key players.

So far, player development would be the thing I would be questioning the most into the early part of year 2.

That is what I think too. I think ultimately Fran's success or lack thereof will be determined by recruiting, player development, and retention of key players.

So far, player development would be the thing I would be questioning the most into the early part of year 2.

Hayden, I believe Fran will be good at developing players, I thought the improvement of Brommer last year, from the previous year was tremendous, It's a possibilty that he improved just due to being a junior rather then a sophmore, but I believe Fran had alot to do with that.

Last edited:
very accurate
very long desdription of the future
we have 11 players on scholarships
Brommer is supposed to be improved but knee still is affecting his game, but would not be better than a 11th option
Archie if he had been healthy from the beginning would be gone, but would be the 13th option and a good practice player
Basabe would be a solid player a borderline starter, but on this team a starter
McCabe is a solid 6th man on any squad
White not enough playing time to evaluate properly, has shown good potential, on this team a solid starter
Oglesby a good shooter but as with White not enough game time to make a accurate eval, what i have noticed is his lack of defense
Marble to much time playing a position he should not be playing is affecting his play
very good on defence has a good stop and pop, shows plenty of athletic ability
Gatens would be a starter on most majors, solid shooter, very good team player and leader
Cartwright is a leader and as a good mid-range shot, looks to be over the flu and injury
also not that consistant from 3
losses
Cartwright
Gatens
Archie
Brommer

not that big a losses outside of leadership capability
gains
Woodbury 7'1 top 50 recruit will be a major upgrade over Brommer, both in height and ability as eveidenced by earnig MVP honor in the top 100 camp
Meyer is amajor upgrade over Archie, shoots outside as well as inside
Ingram lacks the outside shot of Gatens but is improving as he played behind very good players both on his HS team and AAU, but is a quicker and better defender by reports i will call this a push
Gesell is aggressive has a very good shot from 3, also a good defender, plus a top 100 player i give him the edge over Cartwright
Clemmons is a bonus good ball handler and aggressive defender, shooting range to be determined
will gives us 11 players again but better flexibility
only loss off next years team is May
so the group will have 2 years of playing together without major losses, and the lick hangover will be flushed out of the system

Last edited:
I agree about Brommer. The issue with Mel and Cartwright (throw May in there as well) has me concerned, but it is early.

May had these same defeciencies last year but i looked past it because of injury, he has no excuse for his play other than he is not putting in the effort this year
Basabe to much weight was put on and is affecting play, with Cartwright as he gets back into shape this team will be better, the only downside we need a inside prescence that Cole provided, i did not think his departure would be that big
Olaseni needs more playing time
if Fran is not going to RS the kid, may as well learn in the babtism of Fire
he can't do any worse

May had these same defeciencies last year but i looked past it because of injury, he has no excuse for his play other than he is not putting in the effort this year

What are you talking about? Eric May is trying he just is not that well rounded as a basketball player. He can't really create a shot so he gets taken out of the game pretty easily against better competition. I don't think it's fair to say that he is not putting forth the effort.

I don't think you have that many Iowa players not trying, it's just when you have guys with so many holes in their game they can struggle to have consistent success. I accept that the players are not individually great and sometimes bball can come down to wining your individual match up.

I say lack of talent is more of an issue than not playing hard.

You speak of last year earlier in the thread like Iowa was good last year. Iowa won 11 games last year and were pretty terrible really. I predicted Iowa would win about 16-17 games this year which is still pretty bad. I just figured they would be in more games and despite losing would look a bit better.

Maybe having everyone on tape after last year has allowed teams to better scout Iowa.

I have no issue saying Iowa does not really have someone you can just hand the ball to and say get me a basket and when you lack that you can have scoring droughts.

I like the style where you win and it really makes no difference to me how you do it. But yes you need better players than what we have no matter what style you play. I'm watching Wisky and UNC right now and they are half way thru the 2nd half and both are in the 30's.

However, is it the degree that we don't have the personal to run these schemes as much as we would like to?

We like the style, we just don't have the talent right now. Is that what it really comes down to?

Absolutely. If Fran is able to bring in the talent and type of players he wants... This system is awesome. Very high scoring and is difficult to keep up with if you are a team that is used to a slow pace.

It is much easier to be used to a fast pace and play a slower paced team than it is to be a slow paced team playing a fast paced team.

However, like I've said before... we need to start filling those seats at home games! It helps with recruiting when we have a lot of fans at our games supporting the team and it hurts recruiting when a player visits and sees an empty arena. Most top talent players want to play on the big stage and I think Iowa has the facilities and the coach capable of bringing in some top talent over the next few years. We, as fans, need to do our part and show up and support the team!

To be clear I like winning...up tempo is more enjoyable...but...just win baby...if Lick would have had us in the NCAA tourney year in and out...I would have been a Lick Ball supporter. All I want are W's.

Yes.

Bingo Bango!

very accurate
very long desdription of the future
we have 11 players on scholarships
Brommer is supposed to be improved but knee still is affecting his game, but would not be better than a 11th option
Archie if he had been healthy from the beginning would be gone, but would be the 13th option and a good practice player
Basabe would be a solid player a borderline starter, but on this team a starter
McCabe is a solid 6th man on any squad
White not enough playing time to evaluate properly, has shown good potential, on this team a solid starter
Oglesby a good shooter but as with White not enough game time to make a accurate eval, what i have noticed is his lack of defense
Marble to much time playing a position he should not be playing is affecting his play
very good on defence has a good stop and pop, shows plenty of athletic ability
Gatens would be a starter on most majors, solid shooter, very good team player and leader
Cartwright is a leader and as a good mid-range shot, looks to be over the flu and injury
also not that consistant from 3
losses
Cartwright
Gatens
Archie
Brommer

not that big a losses outside of leadership capability
gains
Woodbury 7'1 top 50 recruit will be a major upgrade over Brommer, both in height and ability as eveidenced by earnig MVP honor in the top 100 camp
Meyer is amajor upgrade over Archie, shoots outside as well as inside
Ingram lacks the outside shot of Gatens but is improving as he played behind very good players both on his HS team and AAU, but is a quicker and better defender by reports i will call this a push
Gesell is aggressive has a very good shot from 3, also a good defender, plus a top 100 player i give him the edge over Cartwright
Clemmons is a bonus good ball handler and aggressive defender, shooting range to be determined
will gives us 11 players again but better flexibility
only loss off next years team is May
so the group will have 2 years of playing together without major losses, and the lick hangover will be flushed out of the system

Really? I doubt that he could make waterboy on a lot of "squads".

you must be taking some strange pills
i have said before that McCabe reminds me of Kurt Rambis of the Lakers back in the day
not very athletic or quick, but he did the dirty work, kinda like a hitman very hard and needful type of player
never will be a star or starter but is ussually the 1st man off the bench

Absolutely. If Fran is able to bring in the talent and type of players he wants... This system is awesome. Very high scoring and is difficult to keep up with if you are a team that is used to a slow pace.

It is much easier to be used to a fast pace and play a slower paced team than it is to be a slow paced team playing a fast paced team.

However, like I've said before... we need to start filling those seats at home games! It helps with recruiting when we have a lot of fans at our games supporting the team and it hurts recruiting when a player visits and sees an empty arena. Most top talent players want to play on the big stage and I think Iowa has the facilities and the coach capable of bringing in some top talent over the next few years. We, as fans, need to do our part and show up and support the team!

You mean like, oh I don't know, say Clemson?

you must be taking some strange pills
i have said before that McCabe reminds me of Kurt Rambis of the Lakers back in the day
not very athletic or quick, but he did the dirty work, kinda like a hitman very hard and needful type of player
never will be a star or starter but is ussually the 1st man off the bench

Strange indeed.
McCabe is JUST like Kurt Rambis except Kurt was bigger, faster, stronger and had way more basketball skills.

Style of play is not important to me and never was. It is and always has been about winning.

If we could win with either style, ill take uptempo but i would have been happy with lick if he would have mimmicked bo ryans results.

Although most wont admit it i would bet if it came down to it the rest of the fan base would be the same.

Is there any example in sports of a fan base that was so upset about style of play if they are winning or at least living up to expectations?

See football... i dont recall many complaining about norm or bend dont break when we shut down GT in the orange bowl. But when expectations are not met style of play is an easy scape goat.

All the talk about this team being up tempo should be put aside for now. It won't happen against average to good teams. The team lacks confidence and swagger right now, and is too hesitant to be able to run.

I do not miss the pass the ball around for 25 seconds and then turn it over. I like the style of basketball they are playing now it just would be nice if they made a few shots.

Latest posts