To all the critics of the "Iowa National Title" talk

HawkeyeRyno

Banned
I'd ask you why not this year??? People criticize/laugh at those claiming (Jon Miller, Ivan Maisel, etc.) Iowa can be a contender this season.

No one was criticizing those who had Oregon as a trendy national title contendor pick when they still had Masoli. And some are still sticking with this pick because Masoli was bad team chemistry. I don't understand this. Outside of Masoli and James (RB), who is a difference maker on that team?

Critics say Iowa doesn't have the tradition or talent to be a contender, like Oregon does?!

Oregon has 0 national titles, 9 conference titles, has had 2 consensus All-Americans, 0 heisman winners. This season Oregon returns without Masoli, returns the 61st ranked defense and a team that got beat in a BCS bowl.

Iowa has 1 claimed national title (granted it was in 1958), 12 conference titles, has had 20 consesus All-Americans, 1 heisman winner. This year Iowa returns the nation's best D-Line, a top 10 defense, depth at both RB and WR, 3 year starter at QB and won a BCS bowl.

So please tell me now why Oregon is more realistic national title contender over Iowa????

KF has the program at it's best ever, imho. This could very well be the year of the Hawks. The critics are haters, pure and simple. Very simple.

Why do people criticize it? Simple...running the table is hard to do, so scoffing at the thought of it makes it more likely that the nay-sayer will be right...and everyone likes to be right! Maisel even mentioned that he likes picking dark horse teams and that one of these days, he'll get one right! Bottom line, he's not afraid to be wrong and craves knocking one out of the park...and this season, that BP fastball is...our Iowa Hawkeyes!

Don't hate the nay-sayers...just enjoy that the Hawks get a shot at shutting them up this season...it's all about enjoying the ride.:)

Why do people criticize it? Simple...running the table is hard to do, so scoffing at the thought of it makes it more likely that the nay-sayer will be right...and everyone likes to be right! Maisel even mentioned that he likes picking dark horse teams and that one of these days, he'll get one right! Bottom line, he's not afraid to be wrong and craves knocking one out of the park...and this season, that BP fastball is...our Iowa Hawkeyes!

Don't hate the nay-sayers...just enjoy that the Hawks get a shot at shutting them up this season...it's all about enjoying the ride.:)

Well stated HS.

I would say Iowa is the biggest contender out of the Big Ten. They probably have the best shot at a National title. Having said that, it is very hard to run the table. Are they a contender? Sure. Will it happen? The odds would tell you that for any team, before the season starts, it would be ridiculous to put money down on it.

I'm not critical of people who think we can run the table. I just don't think we have the depth at offensive line, nor a consistent enough kicker, to do it. Hopefully we can go 12-0. But it's not something I am expecting to happen.

To achieve a big goal, first you have to visualize achieving it.

I see nothing wrong with Iowa fans (and the Iowa team) dreaming big.

I will say one thing: To win a big ten title or national title, you have to have a dependable field goal kicker.

Coach Ferentz needs to decide on a kicker.

To achieve a big goal, first you have to visualize achieving it.

I see nothing wrong with Iowa fans (and the Iowa team) dreaming big.

I will say one thing: To win a big ten title or national title, you have to have a dependable field goal kicker.

Coach Ferentz needs to decide on a kicker.

That's what games against teams like Eastern Illinois are for.

I would say you guys have a good team this year. You return a lot of people from your BCS bowl team of last year. On paper, you could win every match up on your schedule. However, I don't think you're going undefeated. Lots of things have to go right consecutively for that to happen.

As an Iowa State fan, I look at your last season and I see a lot of breaks going your way. Not that you didn't have some bad breaks, but I would say you had a substantially favorable season as they go. Good teams make their own luck, but I'm not sure that this season will be as favorable.

I think you will have a good team, but I think prediction 12-0 would be roughly the equivalent of predicting ISU at 8-4. Sure, you could make a case for us beating every team on out schedule other than UT,UO, and NU, but it's not gonna happen in all likelihood. Tear away.

I would say you guys have a good team this year. You return a lot of people from your BCS bowl team of last year. On paper, you could win every match up on your schedule. However, I don't think you're going undefeated. Lots of things have to go right consecutively for that to happen.

As an Iowa State fan, I look at your last season and I see a lot of breaks going your way. Not that you didn't have some bad breaks, but I would say you had a substantially favorable season as they go. Good teams make their own luck, but I'm not sure that this season will be as favorable.

I think you will have a good team, but I think prediction 12-0 would be roughly the equivalent of predicting ISU at 8-4. Sure, you could make a case for us beating every team on out schedule other than UT,UO, and NU, but it's not gonna happen in all likelihood. Tear away.

Outside of the UNI and Indiana games, what breaks went Iowa's way? Why not mention the (seemingly) weekly key inuries at key offensive positions?

Outside of the UNI and Indiana games, what breaks went Iowa's way? Why not mention the (seemingly) weekly key inuries at key offensive positions?

I think his point is that to go undefeated you have to get ALL the breaks...which includes staying healthy. Running the table is extremely hard and thats the point he was making. I agree with him, it could happen but the odds are stacked against it.

Just to have a chance at running the table is a pretty cool thing to think about this time of year

I agree ... win or lose, it's about enjoying the ride.

In the end, I think that we all want the Hawks to do well ... however, we each have different definitions of what it means to "do well."

Ideally our guys keep an even keel ... like the head man himself ... and they just focus on improving throughout each and every game. If they can do that ... and if they can remain adequately healthy ... we're looking at a squad that could do VERY WELL indeed. Of course, what does that mean .... ???

Latest posts