TL- good husband, good father..

TalkHawk

I have seen those that defend TL bring up the fact that he is a good husband.... he is a good father.

What does this have to do with anything?

I am not trying to be argumentative, I am curious how this factors into coaching basketball and being the CEO of a big 10 basketball program.

I think Lick is a good coach- he will adventually make his way back to a mid major and probably be successful. He is a good coach on that level, not this one.

But was Bobby Knight a good husband?

Is Phil Jackson a good husband? A good father? Was he ever even married?

Is Larry Brown a good Dad? Does Gregg Popovich even have kids? Who the hell cares.
Who cares. They coach basketball. They win games.

What does the husband and father stuff have to do with anything?

Does a good dad make his son a laughing stock?

It could also be perceived that The Lickliters are the ones doing the laughing. JL logging minutes in a Division he doesn't come close to belonging in and TL making over a million dollars to allow it to happen. Best of both worlds for them...Just sayin

TL may be the greatest person in the world. The type of guy you want as your next door neighbor. By all accounts, it sounds like he is exactly that.

That doesn't mean that his W/L record should or can be ignored, though. He still is getting paid $1.2 million per year to coach a Big Ten basketball team, and there are expectations that come along with that.

Excellent post/point Pistons. One also needs to add, then the father/coach tries to defend his actions in front of the media thereby making the situation even worse .... leading to WHO's spoof and even more commentary/ridicule about his son, the credibility of his father/coach and the state of the program.

TL may be the greatest person in the world. The type of guy you want as your next door neighbor. By all accounts, it sounds like he is exactly that.

That doesn't mean that his W/L record should or can be ignored, though. He still is getting paid $1.2 million per year to coach a Big Ten basketball team, and there are expectations that come along with that.

Exactly and I think it's a balance between building character players and winning. If either are consistently lacking it's a problem. I would not want a coach at Iowa who brought in a bunch of players who never graduated and consistently got in trouble with the law but the same time I want to win.

Excellent post/point Pistons. One also needs to add, then the father/coach tries to defend his actions in front of the media thereby making the situation even worse .... leading to WHO's spoof and even more commentary/ridicule about his son, the credibility of his father/coach and the state of the program.
So just because Todd defend his playing time it's ok for soundoff to mock the young man? What if that was your son getting mocked? Put yourself in his shoes once and think about what this young man has done to you to make you think it's ok to mock someone. If you think it's ok then your a bully. John works just as hard on and off the court as any other player maybe harder considering he wasn't blessed with all the skills to make him a first team Big 10 selection. Just shocks me that Hawkeye fans are supporting the mocking of a young man thas has done nothing to deserve it. Blame Tucker for being suspended before you all go blaming Todd or John for the playing time John has got. After all if Tucker is not susupended John isn't seeing the floor.

Its not OK to make fun of JL because, like I said before, he never in a million years thought he would actually play, he's there to fill out a roster. He goes out and tries to make Hawk fans proud like all the other players. Tennessee is in a similar situation and they are still winning with a couple of walk-ons playing major roles now. But they have a recruiter down there.

I like to read how TL apologists talk about SA as a good mid-major coach. Then Lick must be a good mid-major to low level bball coach because he never built anything at Butler like SA has done at 2 mid-major. If SA is only a good mid-major coach why in the world would anyone think that TL is better than that. SA could at least land some solid recruits that could be good Big Ten players.

......and I am glad SA isn't around anymore

True, Neal was the one, but at least SA new he needed someone that is why he brought him in. Will TL figure that out???

I am basically reiterating what talkhawk stated, but in a different way.

I am not really big into giving credit for things you are suppose to do. You are suppose to be a good father, good husband, be to work on time, etc. I will state the obvious, TL needs to win more games....... a lot more games.

Its not OK to make fun of JL because, like I said before, he never in a million years thought he would actually play, he's there to fill out a roster. He goes out and tries to make Hawk fans proud like all the other players. Tennessee is in a similar situation and they are still winning with a couple of walk-ons playing major roles now. But they have a recruiter down there.

I like to read how TL apologists talk about SA as a good mid-major coach. Then Lick must be a good mid-major to low level bball coach because he never built anything at Butler like SA has done at 2 mid-major. If SA is only a good mid-major coach why in the world would anyone think that TL is better than that. SA could at least land some solid recruits that could be good Big Ten players.

......and I am glad SA isn't around anymore
Are you aware that Bruce Pearl's son (Steven) is on Tennessee's team? I am not comparing to the Lickliter situation at Iowa by any means. However, Steven is playing more minutes since the trouble occurred a few weeks ago in Tennessee (see stats below).

Steven Pearl Stats, News, Photos - Tennessee Volunteers - ESPN

He was an all-state player in high school averaging 21.3 points, 8.8 rebounds, 2.6 assists as a senior at West High School. It helps that he is 6 foot 5 and 232 pounds. In reading a bit about him, it looks like he has earned his time. I have not found out if he is on scholarship or not. I just thought it was interesting.

Are you aware that Bruce Pearl's son (Steven) is on Tennessee's team? I am not comparing to the Lickliter situation at Iowa by any means. However, Steven is playing more minutes since the trouble occurred a few weeks ago in Tennessee (see stats below).

Steven Pearl Stats, News, Photos - Tennessee Volunteers - ESPN

He was an all-state player in high school averaging 21.3 points, 8.8 rebounds, 2.6 assists as a senior at West High School. It helps that he is 6 foot 5 and 232 pounds. In reading a bit about him, it looks like he has earned his time. I have not found out if he is on scholarship or not. I just thought it was interesting.

I did know that. A couple weeks ago BP gave an interview and talked about his son and how it was hard at times for him to be on the team because his son was probably the hardest worker on the team but just not good enough to play for them. It was a pretty good interview. That was before he was forced to play him because of their situation.

Yawn.

Coach didnt run to the media screaming trying to defend his actions/decisions regarding Johns PT. The media asked him about it and he answered the question. The point by Pistons is a bad one and yours isn't much better.

I am basically reiterating what talkhawk stated, but in a different way.

I am not really big into giving credit for things you are suppose to do. You are suppose to be a good father, good husband, be to work on time, etc. I will state the obvious, TL needs to win more games....... a lot more games.

Exactly. People in the public spotlight get too much credit for simplistic gestures like a handshake or signing an autograph, or giving a donation that does not dent their bank account one bit.

Just win baby.

Latest posts