Time to take my ball and take

HawkPrdatr40

A break before I say something I regret at some of you fans. The amazing thing for me is that this is one of the most talented teams we've had had Iowa in quite awhile and people can't wait to shred them. You posters know who are as well. So make sure you remind us about how we Pretenders and stupid **** like that.. All I've seen is Pretender threads for last 3 games. That's a JOKE.

1. Pretenders don't have the record and resume that Iowa has right now.
2. Pretenders don't stay in Top 10 for 5 weeks.
3. Pretenders don't have an 11-3 record and tied for first after 14 games in the Big Ten. Not with the record we've played to date in the BIG.

I'm 46 and this team isn't a Pretenders. I've seen pretenders at Iowa and I know what they look like and this team isn't one...

So ... they're just "pretending" to be as bad as they've played the last 3 games? They're just "pretending" to be the antithesis of a top 5 / #1 seed team. They're just "pretending" to play lazy D and impotent offense. They're just "pretending" to get out hustled and out muscled by teams with inferior talent and athletic ability. Even Fran is just "pretending" to toss out discombobulated unproductive lineups at the most inopportune times?

Ohhhh ... ha, ha, ha ... I get it. Joke's on us! Ok, ok ... UNCLE!

Now that the fun is over, can the Hawks get back to "contending"?

I don't think it has anything to do with "pretending."

Bottom line, right now we are not that great of a basketball team. Probably mid level big 10, and a game MAYBE 2 winner in the NCAA tournament.

Only bad part about this year is for about a month, we showed how great we could actually be if clicking on all cylinders.

Unfortunately, I don't think we will see that team again this year, except maybe a game or two at home yet.

So ... they're just "pretending" to be as bad as they've played the last 3 games? They're just "pretending" to be the antithesis of a top 5 / #1 seed team. They're just "pretending" to play lazy D and impotent offense. They're just "pretending" to get out hustled and out muscled by teams with inferior talent and athletic ability. Even Fran is just "pretending" to toss out discombobulated unproductive lineups at the most inopportune times?

Ohhhh ... ha, ha, ha ... I get it. Joke's on us! Ok, ok ... UNCLE!

Now that the fun is over, can the Hawks get back to "contending"?

Still waiting for that comparison Still. I find this Pretender talk to be ******* stupid..

We are just falling back to earth. When everyone looked at our talent in the preseason, they saw a bubble team. People on this forum always talk about teams shooting lights out against us, way over their season average, blah blah blah. But no one ever looks at and realizes that Iowa was also shooting at an unsustainable % for most of this year. Law of averages is finally taking hold and I believe this is the team we are and will see for the rest of the year.

We are just falling back to earth. When everyone looked at our talent in the preseason, they saw a bubble team. People on this forum always talk about teams shooting lights out against us, way over their season average, blah blah blah. But no one ever looks at and realizes that Iowa was also shooting at an unsustainable % for most of this year. Law of averages is finally taking hold and I believe this is the team we are and will see for the rest of the year.

I don't disagree with any of this, except for maybe the last half of the last sentence. We absolutely can play better than we have the last 3 games. Don't know if we will, but we can.

Iowa deserved the rankings it has earned. No question. But, alas, ebb and flow. Some teams peak, while others keep growing.

Iowa has the Ray Jackson Problem. Starts out fast, fades down the stretch. Will gladly eat crow, but this team may be heading for a 1-3 finish in the regular season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuGKYY9X4GI

I agree with this too. We played above our normal capabilities for a few games and got some wins. The good news is they can't take those wins away from us. The other good news is our "really good" is enough to make a good run. Maybe we won't see that team again but there are only 4 games left and this has been an awesome season. All we need to do is finish 2-2 and we will get a seed good enough to give us a chance.

I believe it's called regressing to the mean, and that is what we are doing. I agree we have overachieved, but when you have "43 seniors" you better win some games

A break before I say something I regret at some of you fans. The amazing thing for me is that this is one of the most talented teams we've had had Iowa in quite awhile and people can't wait to shred them. You posters know who are as well. So make sure you remind us about how we Pretenders and stupid **** like that.. All I've seen is Pretender threads for last 3 games. That's a JOKE.

1. Pretenders don't have the record and resume that Iowa has right now.
2. Pretenders don't stay in Top 10 for 5 weeks.
3. Pretenders don't have an 11-3 record and tied for first after 14 games in the Big Ten. Not with the record we've played to date in the BIG.

I'm 46 and this team isn't a Pretenders. I've seen pretenders at Iowa and I know what they look like and this team isn't one...

Great thing is all the points I bring up are coming to fruition. I do not enjoy it but facts are facts. We caught MSU twice on the mend...got lucky Purdue fell apart...time will tell whether the Hawks are gonna soar. However you can't hide facts...10 missed FT's again.

Still waiting for that comparison Still. I find this Pretender talk to be ******* stupid..

I do, too. It's not really been my take; loess was the one who threw it out there, and, I've been trying to include it, alot, with the intent to be sarcastic and to needle the board a bit. I thought I made that point in the "Pretenders" threads last weekend ...
http://hawkeyenation.com/forum/showthread.php?74165-PRETENDERS-II&p=1494426#post1494426
http://hawkeyenation.com/forum/showthread.php?74151-Pretenders&p=1494443#post1494443

That said, I still stand by what my take has been from the git-go ... http://hawkeyenation.com/forum/showthread.php?74151-Pretenders&p=1494132&viewfull=1#post1494132

Look, you seem to take issue with the derogatory connotation of "pretender" and cite the Hawks' resume, to date isn't that of a "pretender". I guess I look at that resume and see it being more a result of an over achiever that, when it all shakes out, can't sustain that level of success and will ultimately be exposed as probably not being a serious contender to begin with. I don't know if, by default, that makes them a "pretender". I'm quite certain it meets the definition of "not a contender".

That, to me, is what epitomizes Iowa - when they put it all together, they can have moments where they play at "contender" level but, the reality is, "they're Iowa". The same can be said of Penn State the last 2 games ... they are having a moment. Now, it's no where near the breadth and depth of Iowa's moment this season but, truth, we all know the moment will, ultimately, end; most likely, short of serious contention for a championship.

I take it further and say that, historically, Iowa's moments seem to end in shocking fashion, when expectations are high and the lights are on ...

Sometimes before they even get started ... i.e. the epic disappointments that were 01-02 bball (Recker + Evans senior years, preseason #9, 1st round home loss to La State in NIT) and 2010 fball (nuff said).

Sometimes in such inexplicably poor performance that you seriously question how they were rated so highly and such that is certainly beneath what would reasonably be expected of a top rated team ... from 2006 BTT champion, #3 seed losing to NW State in 1st round to every Rose Bowl appearance, most disturbingly, 7 weeks ago.

Sometimes in gut wrenching, jaw-dropping free fall after achieving great heights and seeming to have all the pieces to be a "contender" ... i.e. 2006 fball (5-1, ranked #13 to finish 6-7); 2014 bball (16-4, ranked #10 to finish 20-13 with 1st round losses in both tourneys); this season's final chapter is yet to be written but, the last 3 games are not encouraging. Not only have they been inexplicably poor performances, they've been progressively worse with each game, culminating in what is (and will remain) the biggest upset in the B14 conference this season, tonight.

Again, I don't "revel" or "relish" any of this. I'm a die-hard Hawkeye fan -- I don't get into pro sports, so, they are (and always have been) MY team and have been for 42 of my 51 years. Over those years, not just due to all the examples I cited, above, but for the dozens of examples in virtually every football and basketball season when Iowa loses to teams that are significantly inferior in athletic ability, talent and resources, I've grown very cynical regarding Iowa reaching above expectation, consistently playing to ability and sustaining success. You can call me "miserable" (I'm not) and not like me or my perspective (I'm admittedly cynical, opinionated and sometimes arrogant but I'm really a pretty nice guy with a grounded outlook) but it doesn't take away from the truth that those examples continue to occur.

So, Pred, don't get bent over "pretender"; I don't consider them that. However, when push comes to shove, I really never consider them a serious contender.

It will be proven, one way or the other, over the next 4 weeks.

Great thing is all the points I bring up are coming to fruition. I do not enjoy it but facts are facts. We caught MSU twice on the mend...got lucky Purdue fell apart...time will tell whether the Hawks are gonna soar. However you can't hide facts...10 missed FT's again.

Yeah just lucked into that 20-5 record...

If the teams had have the overdramatic and knee jerk reaction of message boards they could never win a game.

I usually am not one to criticize negativity.

But this board tonight is all time emo tonight.

I feel your pain man but that's just the way some people are. There are fans in every fan base of every sport that thrive off waiting for the bottom to fall out and have a 1/2 glass empty approach. Game threads and threads right after losses are the worst as what you see are raw emotions, people taking to a message board to vent.

I'm frustrated as well but I still see a talented team that can beat anybody. This week off came at perfect timing.

Good teams adjust, and these guys will also. Yes, I was critical last night b/c I hate to lose, and so does everyone else, just ask Oklahoma & NC....This is a welcomed break, and, good Lord willing, they take it to Wisconsin. My only question is, "Who shows up to the party on Wednesday?" an "early season"Uthoff, or the one we've been watching the past few games, "the floor general" in Woodbury or Gesell? When they were winning, communication was better, rebounding was better.....Teams have now figured out how to attack us at every angle. We've become stagnant in movement & flow. Our subs need to stick to their roles, and get a little moxy. $hit, what the hell will we talk about for the next 6-7 days? :)

I feel your pain man but that's just the way some people are. There are fans in every fan base of every sport that thrive off waiting for the bottom to fall out and have a 1/2 glass empty approach. Game threads and threads right after losses are the worst as what you see are raw emotions, people taking to a message board to vent.

I'm frustrated as well but I still see a talented team that can beat anybody. This week off came at perfect timing.

This sums it up perfectly!!! Sadly it mostly refers to Cyclone fans but there's plenty of our own fans acting like those numbnuts right now. Sad really...

No one can deny this team has hit a wall and hit a wall hard. Good defensive teams don't give up 79 points to a team like Penn State. I'm not ready to jump off the cliff though. Maybe we are getting the rest when we need it. Take a break, recharge, come back ready for the stretch. It's fight or flight time.

Villanova, Michigan State and Kansas are the only 3 teams in the Top 10 that aren't having struggles of some sort right now. And they had their issues earlier in the season...other than Villanova. It's wide open this year. I want to catch fire March 17...not at Penn State on February 17.

I'm not suggesting I want us to play bad or see us lose. But we're going to be in the NCAA Tournament. We're almost certainly going to play in Des Moines and Chicago. Make some adjustments based on how teams are playing us. Rest. Improve. And make a run.

Villanova, Michigan State and Kansas are the only 3 teams in the Top 10 that aren't having struggles of some sort right now. And they had their issues earlier in the season...other than Villanova. It's wide open this year. I want to catch fire March 17...not at Penn State on February 17.

I'm not suggesting I want us to play bad or see us lose. But we're going to be in the NCAA Tournament. We're almost certainly going to play in Des Moines and Chicago. Make some adjustments based on how teams are playing us. Rest. Improve. And make a run.

Oh I agree completely. The NCAA Tournament is what it's all about. Just be hot at that time and I'll be happy.

I just don't want to see Iowa play it's way out of a great setup before then (as in playing in Des Moines/Chicago as a higher seed). The PSU game by itself won't matter too much, provided Iowa gets back on track ASAP.

Oh I agree completely. The NCAA Tournament is what it's all about. Just be hot at that time and I'll be happy.

I just don't want to see Iowa play it's way out of a great setup before then (as in playing in Des Moines/Chicago as a higher seed). The PSU game by itself won't matter too much, provided Iowa gets back on track ASAP.

Based on two articles I have read within the past week we have to drop out of the top 16 to realistically not play in Des Moines. Kansas is the only other top 16 team that geographically makes sense to place here.

Latest posts