Time to Play the Yutes

hawkjunkie

Are we going to a bowl game? Sure thing!! But nowhere near we wanted it to be, so enough of the upper classmen for now. Play the future and give them the experience they need to be able to do something next season & beyond.

Who, or what position, would you want to see gain some more experience(other than CJB)?

Linebacker certainly jumps out at everyone. I would like to see Niemann have a shot. Who else at LB is there?

Wadley absolutely needs some more carries. Give him all of Parkers, please.

There are others I have been thinking about, but they are slipping my mind...?

By no means am I saying toss the game. I am simply saying play some guys who might shine on gameday. Play the guys who have earned I shot, but do not have the experience that KF typically requires in order to play. Let's see what they can do.

Besides the upperclassmen can play in the bowl game still...

Technically, the Hawks can still go to Indianapolis if they win out, so I don't think Kirk is wanting to just throw up his arms and treat the last 3 games like bowl prep. I do think that Kirk should of done more of that when they were getting blown out at half time last week though. Kirk has been talking up Canzeri this week so I'm expecting to see him over Wadley given Wadley's fumbling issues. Parker still has value on design plays imo.

As for linebacker, Iowa is already playing young guys and I don't really know who else there is to play. I don't think playing Niemann over Jewell or Bower would make much a difference in their linebacker play. Iowa needs recruits at LB that they just don't have on the roster right now. Kenny is a guy that I'm hoping can slip back into linebacker next year.

Technically, the Hawks can still go to Indianapolis if they win out, so I don't think Kirk is wanting to just throw up his arms and treat the last 3 games like bowl prep. I do think that Kirk should of done more of that when they were getting blown out at half time last week though. Kirk has been talking up Canzeri this week so I'm expecting to see him over Wadley given Wadley's fumbling issues. Parker still has value on design plays imo.

As for linebacker, Iowa is already playing young guys and I don't really know who else there is to play. I don't think playing Niemann over Jewell or Bower would make much a difference in their linebacker play. Iowa needs recruits at LB that they just don't have on the roster right now. Kenny is a guy that I'm hoping can slip back into linebacker next year.

For the most part I agree with this but I also know Kirk is gonna be Kirk so we will run Wiesman tirelessly for 2 quarters and then realize he still sucks and plug in Wadley/Canzeri. On the LB front CPHawk is right, no point playing Niemann over Jewell or Bower. The guys just need to get bigger and stronger and faster.

He was recruited as a LB so I was wondering if they would switch him back. 10 out of 15 LBs on the roster are either FR or RSFR. I think we under-recruit the position. LB is crucial for us to be good, along with QB. Even with the talent we had in 2010 we weren't able to overcome weak/inexperienced LB play.

Last edited:

Spot on. I'll add that Niemann is about 10-15 lbs away from being effective. That is usually what people put on in the offseason with Doyle.

tumblr_m4e0nm46Pq1rv7e9ko1_500.png

Yeah, I misspelled youts. My bad.

As for winning the West, I forgot that the 1st loss was to an East team. My bad 2... If we win the West, that would definitely make the B1G look like bigger pile of dog poo than it already does. But anything is possible.

Yeah, I misspelled youts. My bad.

As for winning the West, I forgot that the 1st loss was to an East team. My bad 2... If we win the West, that would definitely make the B1G look like bigger pile of dog poo than it already does. But anything is possible.

And here I thought this thread was going to be about playing the Utah UTES in a bowl game because of the fumble play....

desean-0-0_standard_709-0.gif

Last edited:
For the most part I agree with this but I also know Kirk is gonna be Kirk so we will run Wiesman tirelessly for 2 quarters and then realize he still sucks and plug in Wadley/Canzeri. On the LB front CPHawk is right, no point playing Niemann over Jewell or Bower. The guys just need to get bigger and stronger and faster.
This isn't fair to Weisman. He is a great Hawk that is playing his heart out. Its not his fault the KF insists on playing him at RB when he should be at FB.

This isn't fair to Weisman. He is a great Hawk that is playing his heart out. Its not his fault the KF insists on playing him at RB when he should be at FB.

Hey look, Mark may be a great Hawkeye but nothing is going to change the fact that I don't think he is good. He might be a great locker room guy and he doesn't fumble but the reality of it is, he is not a division 1 running back. Plain and simple. Two weeks ago Kirk was asked if Mark will be in the NFL and he said something to the fact that he will hitch on to some team at fullback. Kirk makes my point for me yet he still starts him at tailback. He can play his heart out all he wants, I'd just prefer it to be at fullback and not taking away carries from guys that can help make our offense more potent. There is zero chance he is ever gonna hit a crease and take it to the house outside of the 25 yard line. He hits the line of scrimmage and slows down when most other quality backs are accelerating. His lack of execution is part of our problems yet Kirk won't sit him cause he is a good kid and doesn't fumble. I wish Mark well but will be happy when he moves on. Great guy, works hard for Iowa but in my mind he isn't worthy of D1 material.

Latest posts