Time to grow up, Fran...

1hawkeye1

I used to be OK with Fran's sideline meltdowns and occasional Tech fouls, cuz he was raising expectations. But it's getting tiresome and embarrassing now.

I get that you are angry, but show a little self control. It's not cute anymore and it isn't accomplishing anything. Harness that energy into recruiting a PG.

Yep. I'm not sure where it has ever really worked in our favor. When he gets a T we usually play worse and the officiating does not change that much.

I didn't have any issue with his T last night. The guy was out of bounds, the fouls were like 12-5 in VT's favor at that point and it's not like we were settling for jump shots in the first half, we were attacking the rim against a smaller team. If you think that Fran does that because he's SOOO upset that he can't control himself and that's why, then I just don't see it that way. He was trying to send a message to the refs and the team. It didn't work...it has definitely worked in the past. It's also produced negative effects.... but IMO, it's calculated and deliberate not a self control thing.

I didn't have any issue with his T last night. The guy was out of bounds, the fouls were like 12-5 in VT's favor at that point and it's not like we were settling for jump shots in the first half, we were attacking the rim against a smaller team. If you think that Fran does that because he's SOOO upset that he can't control himself and that's why, then I just don't see it that way. He was trying to send a message to the refs and the team. It didn't work...it has definitely worked in the past. It's also produced negative effects.... but IMO, it's calculated and deliberate not a self control thing.
I agree. The debate should be whether it's a good decision to do or not. Not whether he needs to control himself or not.

He has actually been much better the last year or two compared to his first few. I was very embarrassed the first few years and when he pulled his team off the court vs. N. Dakota etc. A lot of issues last night but the one T wasn't one of them.

When you have one team decidedly quicker on the perimeter, the fouls won't be equal. Not everyone gets a ribbon.

When you have one team decidedly quicker on the perimeter, the fouls won't be equal. Not everyone gets a ribbon.

I didn't say that the discrepancy in fouls was unwarranted. I said that Fran's T was calculated. He was complaining about the player being out of bounds and at the point it was being called one way and Iowa WAS still going to the post and NOT settling for jump shots.... which typically lead to foul calls. There were some questionable calls, but the team still needs to over come it. Those are the breaks on the road. No ribbon needed, I just didn't have any issue with the T and I certainly don't believe that Fran gets them because he just can't control himself.

I understand some think it's calculated. I don't. I think he just loses his shit. He wouldn't accept that from a player and it accomplishes very little imo.

Tom Izzo has it down pat. Although I get aggravated when he does it, he just grabs the ref by the elbow when he's available and has a little chat with him. I think it should be illegal, but it isn't and it's very effective for him.

I've talked about this before but I don't care about foul discrepancy at all. To me, it's all about timing of the whistle. On one side, it was anticipation whistles every time they drive the lane. When the whistle blows at the exact same time players are about to make contact, it means it was a guess. On our side, the few times they did call fouls in the lane, they came well after the contact was made. Almost like they said to themselves "man I HAVE to call that one".

Yes we were jobbed by the officials however this is what is called an away game. You need to overcome the calls and be smarter. In my opinion the game turns with terribly bad decisions made by the players to foul once they are beat.Look at the second foul on Garza and when Cook got his third, they get burned and allow 3 pt plays by fouling after the shot is made, these are just plain stupid decisions by a player that end up costing the team. This is no different than a big ten road game which will likely be all losses with this IQ of a team.

McCaffrey's tirade and technical foul may have been a deliberate act to get something going but Fran has a legit really bad temper and if we continue to play like this (and there is little reason to believe we wont) look for an explosion soon. I'll bet he can throw a chair farther than Bobby!

I used to be OK with Fran's sideline meltdowns and occasional Tech fouls, cuz he was raising expectations. But it's getting tiresome and embarrassing now.

I get that you are angry, but show a little self control. It's not cute anymore and it isn't accomplishing anything. Harness that energy into recruiting a PG.
Given the choice between Ferentz coaching like he's on Vicodin all game long and Fran's passion for the game and his players, I'm taking Fran all day long.

Yes we were jobbed by the officials however this is what is called an away game. You need to overcome the calls and be smarter. In my opinion the game turns with terribly bad decisions made by the players to foul once they are beat.Look at the second foul on Garza and when Cook got his third, they get burned and allow 3 pt plays by fouling after the shot is made, these are just plain stupid decisions by a player that end up costing the team. This is no different than a big ten road game which will likely be all losses with this IQ of a team.
Getting smoked by 24 points had nothing to do with the officiating.

McCaffrey's tirade and technical foul may have been a deliberate act to get something going but Fran has a legit really bad temper and if we continue to play like this (and there is little reason to believe we wont) look for an explosion soon. I'll bet he can throw a chair farther than Bobby!
One can only hope.

Man, I feel sorry for the next chair or clipboard he comes across, damn Fran.....;)

If the rest of the season goes like it has so far, can we change the title of the thread to "Time to Go Fran"?

I love Fran's passion but I do think he needs to choose his battles a little more wisely. At that point in the game, momentum starting to shift, a technical is counterproductive. I'd much rather see a timeout and see him challenge the players rather than the refs.

I didn't have a problem with his T or reaction last night. It was a pretty standard response, IMO. Wasn't like he slammed a clipboard on the floor or threw a chair or anything.

Hey, don't make him angry:mad::
upload_2017-11-29_20-30-55.png
The Incredible Franlighterford

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-29_20-32-5.png
    upload_2017-11-29_20-32-5.png
    183.5 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts