Time to get ready for Minnesota

HawkeyeDenis

Minnesota and Iowa meet this week in Minnesota. Tough to get focused on this game after a bye week. Here it is. Both teams are coming off a bye. Both lost their games before the bye. Both teams have identical records at 3-1. That's pretty much where the similarities end.

On offense I got both offenses about even with a slight edge to Iowa. That is a slight edge in what they have done so far. I think Iowa has better play makers. Better talent. The problem for Minnesota's offense is that they are against Iowa's defensive line. Maryland didn't have too much trouble with Minnesota's offense. This is not to underplay Maryland, but they are not Iowa. Minnesota got gashed for a couple of long runs and some passes. In general they didn't have the talent to hang with Maryland.

Minnesota has some talent but it's all young. Iowa should come out and control this game from the outset. Minnesota doesn't match up well with Iowa talent wise. If Iowa is sluggish they can hang around some. But in the end it should be a good road trip for Iowa.

Huge game for Iowa. Just huge. We need to cut out the silly mistakes and dumb turnovers....that will be the key to success.

Minnesota will come out with their hair on fire for their goofy coach.

I will probably regret saying this but unless Iowa gets down early I don't see how we lose this game. I think by the start of the 4th quarter we will just be mauling them on both sides of the ball.

I will probably regret saying this but unless Iowa gets down early I don't see how we lose this game. I think by the start of the 4th quarter we will just be mauling them on both sides of the ball.

I agree. This is one game that Iowa would have totally have to give the game away to lose. I think Iowa could win this game without the offense. Their offense against Iowa's defense is going to be brutal for them.

Normally a coach will have his players breathing fire after a loss. But Kirk seems to want to play down to lesser teams. Not to say Minny is without talent, but I'm afraid unless Iowa comes out smoking on offense it will be a closer game than it needs to be.

Agree. However if Hawks turd this one out, to a bad MN team, that could tank the season. I kid you not.

This is the worry. What hawk team shows up? Is it a sleep walking underwhelming Iowa team where KF didnt give them any spark ( I just cant see KF giving fired up pregame talks), or are they really fired up and playing great?

Last year the hawks just played somewhat uninspired football at MSU and jNW early in the Big season and it hurt later on. The team just looked mechanical in those games and it showed in the score.

I hope they come out fired up with emotion.

All I'm thinking is please Vegas don't make us double-digit favorites. Almost as bad as being on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

Normally a coach will have his players breathing fire after a loss. But Kirk seems to want to play down to lesser teams. Not to say Minny is without talent, but I'm afraid unless Iowa comes out smoking on offense it will be a closer game than it needs to be.

This is one of the top 3 criticisms of KFz...justified criticisms. the flat line approach.

This is the worry. What hawk team shows up? Is it a sleep walking underwhelming Iowa team where KF didnt give them any spark ( I just cant see KF giving fired up pregame talks), or are they really fired up and playing great?

Last year the hawks just played somewhat uninspired football at MSU and jNW early in the Big season and it hurt later on. The team just looked mechanical in those games and it showed in the score.

I am machine. I am beast. On this challenge, I shall feast!

Iowa has won 5 of the last 8 games since the 2009 orange bowl, losses in 10, 11 & 14. Five wins in the last six meetings. Three of those years Minnesota had decent teams, 13, 14 &16. 2014 was their strongest team and soundly beat Iowa 14-51. (2014 was not Minnesota's best record though.) Minnesota won the last regular season game of 2010, during a late season tailspin due to Iowa's lack of a pass rush and a decimated defensive back seven. In 2011 they beat a rather lackluster Iowa team.

The last two Iowa wins against Minnesota were bounce back wins following close losses to Northwestern. They were both close scores. 2016's was hard fought, last years game wasn't as close as the score indicated.

This is definitely a rebuilding year and also remember the team is still trying to recover from an ugly sexual assault incident and title nine investigation that happened a couple years back. It remains to be seen if Coach Fleck can move the team forward or if he ends up being a transitional figure.

Meanwhile we get to see if Iowa's defensive line will dominate. I see a game that starts out slowly than with a little luck things will eventually click for the offense.

giphy.webp

Latest posts