Time is Now for Iowa

I think your article reflects the angst that a lot of Iowa fans are feeling right now.

It's not just this upcoming game, you could make the argument that the season itself is a "must win" for the program. In this new landscape, it's hard to say when or if we will have another team with this level of experience on both sides of the ball and a reasonably manageable schedule.

Kirk being Kirk, he is harping on the need to keep working get better in all phases, day to day.

The problem is, we shouldn't be hearing that with this team.

A lot was made of a team that had already gone through the development. We now had a veteran and cohesive offensive line, a finally healthy Cade McNamara and a defense with several experienced veterans that passed on the NFL to return for one more season.

Yet, here we are, hearing the same old tired "developmental program excuses" after watching linemen whiff on pass-blocks, watching an experienced QB look unsure and timid, and watching opposing WRs running wild behind the defense.

I've always been supportive of Kirk and our staff (well, except Barnett.....), but, frankly, all that retention and development should pay off at least once every three years or so, and this was supposed to be that year.

@#1DieHardHawk post summarizes everything and I do not need to regurgitate what he stated. Going 8-4 and a trip to the Reliaquest Bowl isn't going to be good enough. This isn't the early 2000s.

Kirk realizes this and that is why he had so much angst at the Tuesday press conference. He knows that they should have won the ISU game. Unfortunately, this feels like an 8-4 football team to me.

Things certainly appear to be at a crucial status, but we are not the only Ranked/Formerly Ranked
team to struggle against the unwashed...

Number One Georgia won by one point at unranked Kentucky

Final Score: 13-12

It was good to see Mark Stoops team make them sweat the entire game until the end

I'm intrigued by Jonathan Smith. He was good at Oregon State. Sparty may have gotten it right this time.

Jury is definitely out on Fickell, though.

B1G has been interesting so far. Should be a fun conference season. Hopefully the Hawkeyes can be a factor.

Things certainly appear to be at a crucial status, but we are not the only Ranked/Formerly Ranked
team to struggle against the unwashed...

Number One Georgia won by one point at unranked Kentucky

Final Score: 13-12

It was good to see Mark Stoops team make them sweat the entire game until the end
Won't argue there but if you go back and look at last 5 times Georgia and Kentucky have played it's like an Iowa and Ia.st. game. Close and miscues and a grind out game for Georgia. Usually Georgia has that type of game and then goes on a terror run until it plays Alabama. Ask how I know? I grew up liking two teams, Hayden Fry and the Hawks and Georgia with Hershel Walker. Then of course a Mn vikings fan.....The walker trade and set up Dallas for years. Geezus, I don't even know why I love football! Lol!

I've thought long and hard about last weekends game and where I see the team. That said, after reflecting I trust our defense and special teams and while they both wet the bed at times against Troy, we were really only 3 fixable plays (two plays we were torched deep and the punt return TD allowed) from what we expect from that group. ISU was the normal foot off the petal game and let's be honest it was the perfect storm of mental mistakes and miscues that day.

Going into the season I wanted a better offense, like everyone else, and we're currently sitting in the mid 50s in total offense. I wanted better line play (not consistent yet) but we've got the nations leading rusher so something is working, and better QB play. I felt McNamara was better this week then he was last week, and although he didn't make the longer throws he completed a high percentage and eliminated TOs and we really didn't need him going long that game. And as I said you take away the 3 big plays, even though Troy's far from the caliber of Big Ten opponents we'll see, and I think that games the blow out we were expecting.

There's a ton of football left to be played and while I hate the ISU loss, I'm going to hold off and see what the Minnesota game brings, because although I wasn't thrilled after Saturday's game the more I look back I think we may be on the right track offensively and I trust our defense and special teams to fix things and get back to business.

Latest posts