Time for this Coaching Staff and Team to Put Up or Shut Up

Couple questions: First, if Stanley is "average at best" then how does he "choke" in big games? If a QB is average then I don't see how they can consistently choke in "big games" if they are nothing more than average to begin with. Also ironic that you only threw Stanley under the bus and didn't comment on the revolving doors, lead by two future NFL linemen, standing in front of him that did anything but block.

Secondly, if Michigan is only mediocre then how would you justify their 3rd ranked pass defense? Not saying they're a great team, but I wouldn't call them mediocre either. Maybe mediocre offensively but I think their defense is considerably better than mediocre.

Sorry go back to your rant. Didn't mean to stop you, as I don't disagree with you completely but think it's only fair that the criticism gets pointed to other pieces of the offense other than Stanley and we give their defense the credit they deserve.
A few weeks ago his was first saying that we don't have receivers who can get separation then later on saying that Stanley often misses receivers when they break open.

Go figure!

Totally agree. fOSU thought they could win without blitzing a lot. Other teams who blitz a ton have beaten us, when they have no business beating us (Purdue comes to mind).

Purdue, jNW, North Dakota State if you remember that game Beathard getting blitzed a lot, and other teams like Minny and Indiana almost beating us by blitzing

We have never done well against teams that blitz. Especially down the stretch when we need to score to win. You could look at about every close loss and count at least 2 sacks on the last drive.

Interesting

2016 - got boat raced in Happy Valley, came back the next week and beach Michigan

2017 boat raced Ohio State, next week destroyed by Wisconsin.

2018 this extreme didn't happen

2019 maybe we'll see the broad swing back ... ultimate a reversion to the mean.

Off linemen in the pros can extend their arms to basically 'punch' a rusher in the chest or shoulder pads and I think they can in college also. I would think if the Off line maintained their spacing and tried to just ward off the rushers rather than closely engaging them they might be able to handle the blitz better, and with a running back blocking they could handle at least 6 rushers.
When pass blocking, punches are more than acceptable, although one must do so without getting off balance (because if you miss it's over). It's more of a "catch" technique in pass blocking vs. run blocking, which is clearly more of a drive technique. I'm not sure what you mean by closely engaging them, but during the punch, an offensive lineman wants to generate as much space between the DL and himself as possible...if a DL gets inside your arms and into your body, you are done and that's when holds/sacks start to occur. As to spacing, the problem with spacing is there's usually a couple feet between OL in their stance, and when you get athletic (more athletic) defensive players with similar size shooting those gaps, they need to be addressed as head on as possible, otherwise holding penalties are inevitable. Maybe I'm not quite 100% understanding what you are saying either...

When pass blocking, punches are more than acceptable, although one must do so without getting off balance (because if you miss it's over). It's more of a "catch" technique in pass blocking vs. run blocking, which is clearly more of a drive technique. I'm not sure what you mean by closely engaging them, but during the punch, an offensive lineman wants to generate as much space between the DL and himself as possible...if a DL gets inside your arms and into your body, you are done and that's when holds/sacks start to occur. As to spacing, the problem with spacing is there's usually a couple feet between OL in their stance, and when you get athletic (more athletic) defensive players with similar size shooting those gaps, they need to be addressed as head on as possible, otherwise holding penalties are inevitable. Maybe I'm not quite 100% understanding what you are saying either...

No that is good. A linemen getting too closely engaged with a pass rusher is just like what you described but I maybe describe it very clearly.

To me the guy who needs to put up is nate Stanley. People for two years have been pubbing this kid as a fringe nfl talent. When he's done he'll own a lot of records at iowa or be 2nd in a ton of them. You have to show, as a senior qb, you can go win a game. Not, not lose a game, but that when we need you to, 4th quarter, down by 3 or up by 3 and need to seal the deal, something in that area, that you can go win us that game. Time to do that Saturday. Couldn't do it last two years against any team but iowa state, gotta prove you can do that.

Michigan’s pass defense looks good on paper because they played Army who literally passed 4 times and Wisconsin who runs the ball every play and Iowa who looked like a high school offense. Michigan will get destroyed by Notre Dame and Ohio St., probably get beat by Penn St. and possibly Sparty. They will finish 8-4 or 7-5 just like Iowa.

I don’t blame Stanley for the Michigan debacle that loss is solely on the coaching staff. Brian’s play calling was pathetic and the offensive line was simply not prepared. Iowa would beat that team with the talent we have this year if we had a real OC.

I see your argument about Michigan's defense looking good on paper and how their defensive numbers are affected by playing run heavy teams. However, on Saturday that very same defense won the game for Michigan. As much as I hate Michigan, and can't stress that enough, it just drives me nuts when credit can't be given where it is due. I don't think Michigan is a world beater by any means (and agree that over time that pass defense will drop in ranks dramatically) but if the script was flipped and we won the game 10-3, our defense would get the credit and I think it's only fair to give the Michigan defense the credit they deserved for Saturday, regardless of our the fact our coaching staff did us absolutely no favors.

I see your argument about Michigan's defense looking good on paper and how their defensive numbers are affected by playing run heavy teams. However, on Saturday that very same defense won the game for Michigan. As much as I hate Michigan, and can't stress that enough, it just drives me nuts when credit can't be given where it is due. I don't think Michigan is a world beater by any means (and agree that over time that pass defense will drop in ranks dramatically) but if the script was flipped and we won the game 10-3, our defense would get the credit and I think it's only fair to give the Michigan defense the credit they deserved for Saturday, regardless of our the fact our coaching staff did us absolutely no favors.
Good point they deserve credit for sure but I think when you see them against a real Top 15 team then they won’t look good just like the Wisconsin game.

Good point they deserve credit for sure but I think when you see them against a real Top 15 team then they won’t look good just like the Wisconsin game.

I think your probably right. But regardless of how their season ends up they came out and embarrassed our offensive line last weekend. I just hate the mentality that discredits the opponents because the offense looked like garbage. There's a reason the offense looked that bad and it's because of the defense they went up against. Doesn't matter whether they'll be great, good or average once the season plays out, that day they executed a great game plan that our coaching staff did very little to slow down.

Iowa's issue against Michigan wasn't blocking technique, it was a pure numbers mismatch. When a team blitzes, they leave openings that can be exploited - but Iowa's coaching staff continued to run the same slow-developing plays that never work against defensive pressure. Roll out the QB, put in a quick hitter play, run a screen, do SOMETHING to take advantage of what the defense is doing. Make the opponent pay for leaving sections of the field open. Iowa did none of this.

Latest posts