Time for a new defensive coordinator?

Here's the real issue, IMO.

Iowa's front 4 aren't doing enough.
The Hawks have undersized LBs and if the DL can't keep blockers off of them, Iowa is in trouble.

Reminds me of Greenway's senior year when he didn't have the hogmallies up front to keep the blocks off him (he wasn't the greatest block shedding LB).

So if the front 4 cannot be productive, neither will an undersized middle 3, which will put pressure on a less talented back 4 that has players playing out of position.

Agree completely. Which IMO, is why if we are going to blitz periodically (which I feel we need to be doing more of) we need to atleast do a better job of disguising it or mixing it up a little bit to hopefully get to the QB and be more efficient.

Sorry about coming off as a smart ***, but all I was getting at was that based strictly off observation the blitz has never been a big part of our game so I'm assuming (and could be wrong) that we'd spend more time working on the base defense than we would on the blitzing.
I didn't take it as you coming off as a smart a$$. Now your statement is accurate by your assumption. Sorry I was knit picking...I'm still a little upset about the...well, you know.

I didn't take it as you coming off as a smart a$$. Now your statement is accurate by your assumption. Sorry I was knit picking...I'm still a little upset about the...well, you know.

Totally understood, I'm in the same boat as you are and it's been a long couple days. We just need to get back on the field Saturday and get back to business so we can move on.

Here's the real issue, IMO.

Iowa's front 4 aren't doing enough.
The Hawks have undersized LBs and if the DL can't keep blockers off of them, Iowa is in trouble.

Reminds me of Greenway's senior year when he didn't have the hogmallies up front to keep the blocks off him (he wasn't the greatest block shedding LB).

So if the front 4 cannot be productive, neither will an undersized middle 3, which will put pressure on a less talented back 4 that has players playing out of position.

This.

We in whole lotta trouble this year I'm afraid.

You folks are looking at the wrong side of the ball. After Saturday's debacle, there is little more evidence that needs to be presented that we have absolutely the WORST offensive coordinator in major college football.

I love Norm, his tough attitude, his approach to the game. He has contributed a lot to Iowa football. So it pains me deeply to ask this question: Is it time for a new defensive coordinator? The game plan has seemed adequate, but it does not seem we have the talent, the speed, the stamina to compete in a game like this today. We also don't have a DC down on the sideline chewing a$$.

It's not going to get any easier the rest of the way.

We saw how spent the defense got last year, and as a result lost some games at the last minute we could have won. Perhaps part of that is because the offense isn't maintaining possession and the defense is spending a lot of time on the field. But something clearly is wrong.

Unless Norm is somehow physically unable to do his job, then no, absolutely not. Do you ever read the interviews with Iowa's defensive staff? It's clear they are absolutely humbled by his understanding of the game. Their quotes go beyond paying lip service to a gentleman they respect, but rather speak to their awe of Norm's intelligence and vision. How would replacing him with one of his assistants enhance the Iowa program?

For the people who were unhappy with Iowa's performance on defense last year, I thought the problem was Norm wasn't around to apply his masterful touch? Now, after one game in which our clearly inexperienced and less talented than usual defensive line struggled, it is obviously Norm's time to go?

Also, I try to leave emotion out of most of these debates, but part of me wants to say screw you to all those saying it's time for a new defensive coordinator.

It will be a sad day not only for the Iowa program when Norm steps down, but also a sad day for college football, an entity that could certainly use a few more Norm Parkers these days.

Plus, he is dam* good at what he does.

Latest posts