Time for a new defensive coordinator?

tweeterhawk

I love Norm, his tough attitude, his approach to the game. He has contributed a lot to Iowa football. So it pains me deeply to ask this question: Is it time for a new defensive coordinator? The game plan has seemed adequate, but it does not seem we have the talent, the speed, the stamina to compete in a game like this today. We also don't have a DC down on the sideline chewing a$$.

It's not going to get any easier the rest of the way.

We saw how spent the defense got last year, and as a result lost some games at the last minute we could have won. Perhaps part of that is because the offense isn't maintaining possession and the defense is spending a lot of time on the field. But something clearly is wrong.

Norm is our JoePa. Love him, he's a legend, jobby for life, but...yeah, time for new young blood with a more aggressive scheme.

I don't know. One game it looks like it, the next it looks like he's totally nailed it. Maybe we need him to only work for the bowl games and let someone else take over during the season. Last year's defense was sub-par and today's game looked the same way. Very soft, with the opponent moving down the field at will.

We lack defensive talent, not defensive coordinating. I think the game plan wasn't bad defensively, it's just that our D-line doesn't have the ability level.

We lack defensive talent, not defensive coordinating. I think the game plan wasn't bad defensively, it's just that our D-line doesn't have the ability level.

Bingo. ISU scored how many points against Iowa in the previous 3 years? The only difference is DL and LB talent on your side and the addition of Steele Jantz on our side.

If our D-line doesn't "have the ability level" then our game plan needs to be altered to fix things. If the line isn't penetrating or bringing down the QB then you can't continue to allow him to make plays and continually elude the front four to find an open man down field once the play breaks down. IMO that's on the defensive coordinating for not changing the gameplan to cut down the amount of time your dbacks are in coverage. Not saying Norm needs to go or anything like that, but our bend down break philosophy is being bent as we speak.

Norm is fine it's the players Iowa has. That defensive line can't get a push or contain the QB so it makes everyones job harder.

This line won't work with Norm's system.

Norm is fine it's the players Iowa has. That defensive line can't get a push or contain the QB so it makes everyones job harder.

This line won't work with Norm's system.

Norm's system has killed us last year with 3 NFL level D-lineman, he needs to move on. He's holding us back and it's only going to get worse.

Norm is a liability right now, Kirk needs to force him out.

Our offense generated 16 points through the first three quarters, and a touchdown right before the end of regulation and everybody is blaming the defense? The lack of productivity on offense is not going to get us to .500 this year. I blame 90% of all of the losses last year and the loss this year on our offense and its inability to stay on the field longer and give our defense time to rest. At 21 points/game in regulation that probably will put our offense at the bottom of the top 100 teams in scoring average.

Our offense generated 16 points through the first three quarters, and a touchdown right before the end of regulation and everybody is blaming the defense? The lack of productivity on offense is not going to get us to .500 this year. I blame 90% of all of the losses last year and the loss this year on our offense and its inability to stay on the field longer and give our defense time to rest. At 21 points/game in regulation that probably will put our offense at the bottom of the top 100 teams in scoring average.

Well, when a FCS team holds a QB to 18-40 with 3 picks and you basically make him look like a Heisman candidate, there's bound to be some questions.

kicker,

You are aware we blitzed more today than we probably did in any game last year if not the entire season combined. People we are YOUNG on D, it is going to take them time to get things figured out.

kicker,

You are aware we blitzed more today than we probably did in any game last year if not the entire season combined. People we are YOUNG on D, it is going to take them time to get things figured out.

Blitzes are about timing. Today's blitzes were the most broadcasted, and worst, blitzes I have ever seen in my life.

Latest posts