Tie-breakers.

NorfolkNeb

Remember when most of us felt Colt McCoy was gipped as a junior, when Texas beat Oklahoma but was robbed of a conference title game, because they lost on a fluke last second play to Tech, and OU went to the title game?

Let me give you a Big-10 scenario for next fall. Iowa & Nebraska both enter their day after Thanksgiving game with identical 11-0 records. (don't go crazy yet) Penn State beats Ohio State. Penn State loses to Alabama pre-conference. Ohio State and Penn State both win all their other games (except vs. Iowa & Neb). Who is the Leaders Div. Champ to play Iowa-Neb winner in conf. champ game?

Is it 10-2 OSU or 9-3 PSU? Ohio States only losses are to Nebraska & Penn State. PSU's losses are to Iowa, Nebraska & Alabama. Ohio State's record in their division is 4-1. PSU's record in the division is 5-0. I believe PSU plays for the title, even though they have the same 6-2 total conference record, and a better overall record. Head to head wins, when they both beat every other team on their division. Am I right? Not playing Iowa could hurt the Buckeyes, even if PSU should lose to the Hawks.

Or does the Big-10 have a rule that total conference record, total season record, or BCS poll ranking trumps division record or head to head? I don't know, I just want clarification.

In this scenario, the tiebreaker would be the head-to-head matchup, so Penn State would play for the title. The thing about the OU-Texas thing was that Texas Tech was also 11-1 with their only loss being to OU, so all three teams had identical records with their losses being to each other. Texas "deserved" to be ahead of OU, OU "deserved" to be ahead of Tech, and Tech "deserved to be ahead of Texas.

Thank you. Why does everyone seem to forget that Tech had the same record and it was a 3 way tie? Texas didn't get screwed. There was just no traditional way to have that tiebreaker

Latest posts