Thursday Question: 08 vs 09 Hawks; Who Wins?

'08 team 20-13. The '08 defense was slightly better because of Fletcher and d-line depth. The '08 offense was better because of Greene and better 0-line play.

Now if Stanzi plays like he did last week and the o-line improves I might rethink that score because i think this years offense has more potential than last years offense.

I take the 09' team as well, these players are another year more experienced, they are unbeaten (take the streak) Shonn Greene is an incredible talent and might get his 100, but I just can't think the 09' would lose
09' 17
08' 16
The 08' team loses another close game.

WHEN? At what point in the season do they play?

Wk 1 ... 2009 ... defense holds Greene to 101 yds and DBs/LBs pick '08 Stanzi 3 times
Wk 4 ... 2009 ... Greene gets loose, but '09 veteran savvy still too much for '08ers
Wk 7 ... 2008 ... Greene is rolling and Stanzi is taking command ... talent wins out
Wk 10 ... ? ... 2008 is really good by now, we'll see how 2009 looks
Wk 13 ... ? ... 2008 is ran over SC in the bowl, hope 2009 is playing in a bigger game!

The '08 Hawkeyes are my pick.

This year we've seemed to struggle stopping the run. I think Greene tromps our '09 D-line.

I'd say the 'O8 team would win by a small margin over the '09 squad. Due in part to the cohesiveness between the O-Line and Greene.
(I had originally picked the '09 team, but then as I thought more about it, I recalled how much they had gelled at the end of the season, and Greene could pretty much call his holes.)

The '08 Hawkeyes are my pick.

This year we've seemed to struggle stopping the run. I think Greene tromps our '09 D-line.

+ 1 This O-line doesn't open the holes it did last year. That will hopefully change, but at this point 08 defense wins the game. Although both are extremely good D's, 09 defense seems to be a "little" (very litle) more suspect against the big plays.

Great question from user Nile Kinnick:

4 games and 12 points in 2008 and the 2009 team wouldn't be such a surprise to those outside of Hawkeye nation. I don't think Iowa is that much better than last year's team OTHER not having to deal with the early season QB controversy and Stanzi having more experience.

If the 2008 Outback Team could play the 2009 Hawks I think it would be a heck of a game.

I like to see Iowa continue play solid football and continue to improve as they did at the end of last season.

I've been to 2 Iowa Rose Bowl losses and want to see one victory (more than a Cubs world series), I would be content with the NC since it is in the same stadium though :.)

This is a tough call. The 2008 team was more balanced on offense. The 2009 team knows how to win close games.

With that being said I have two answers. The 2009 team would have beat the 2008 team, if we're talking about the 2008 team from the first half of last season.

The 2008 team would have beat the 2009 team if we're talking about the 2008 team from the second half of last season.

the most glaring thing here is that the 2009 nine team isnt just undefeated, but undefeatable.

so i pick the 2009

Great question from user Nile Kinnick:

4 games and 12 points in 2008 and the 2009 team wouldn't be such a surprise to those outside of Hawkeye nation. I don't think Iowa is that much better than last year's team OTHER not having to deal with the early season QB controversy and Stanzi having more experience.

If the 2008 Outback Team could play the 2009 Hawks I think it would be a heck of a game.

I like to see Iowa continue play solid football and continue to improve as they did at the end of last season.

I've been to 2 Iowa Rose Bowl losses and want to see one victory (more than a Cubs world series), I would be content with the NC since it is in the same stadium though :.)

The perplexity of this idea confuses me... two Stanzi's throwing Stanzi ball's (pick 6's) to Sash all game long... The score would be somewhere around 140-140 tie in 12 overtimes with Tyler Sash having scored 280 points.

My mind can't wrap around this idea.

So there you have it; who wins? 2008 or 2009 Hawks?

As of right now, I would take the 2008 Hawks

I would have to agree. I'm taking the 2008 Hawks. Why? Because of Shonn Greene, he would still be dominant at the College Level. I think that helped RS not try to do too much.

Latest posts