Three Positive Developments

Teddy

1. Iowa might have found the QB we have waited to see. Deacon Hill gave us the best QB performance we've seen in years. Add 5 of the 6 drops (one was really too hot for the close range) and his statistical performance is much better. He has a very strong arm, throws tight spirals and seemed to locate the open receivers. Hell, he even had a decent run.

2. Iowa can target the receivers. While the receivers didn't look great in this game, with all the drops, it is the first time Iowa made a point of getting the ball to the receivers. Let's hope the OC saw how that worked to get players open. Next time, receivers need to "receive" the "on the numbers" throws.

3. Throwing on first down. A big change it seemed. Since it worked better tonight we shall hopefully see a more air aggressive attack.

Last edited:
1. Iowa might have found the QB for whom we have waited to see. Deacon Hill gave us the best QB performance we've seen in years. Add 5 of the 6 drops (one was really too hot for the close range) and his statistical performance is much better. He has a very strong arm, throws tight spirals and seemed to locate the open receivers. Hell, he even had a decent run.

2. Iowa can target the receivers. While the receivers didn't look great in this game, with all the drops, it is the first time Iowa made a point of getting the ball to the receivers. Let's hope the OC saw how that worked to get players open. Next time, receivers need to "receive" the "on the numbers" throws.

3. Throwing on first down. A big change it seemed. Since it worked better tonight we shall hopefully see a more air aggressive attack.
Thank you, I think losing Cade will be freeing to this team. I think Hill is more then capable of being a good D1 QB and I think he’s closer to Stanley then let’s say CJB… let’s learn how to use him.

Last edited:
I too have the theory that Cade was mostly ineffective due to injury. Had some great plays and some bonehead plays. Clearly his movement was limited.

Hill's cannon gives the deep routes a better chance if he's at all accurate and if our receivers catch them. He obviously won't have trouble drilling into tight spaces. Uninjured, Hill was decently mobile and can apply some heat to even on the run throws.

There's a learning curve and we'll see what this kid has to learn but he could also be a hell of a gamer.

The most positive development is Iowa WON A GAME where the backup quarterback was forced into service on the second drive of the game. This is unheard of for our program. That kid looked really good on the TD drive and with some more reps he should be plenty good enough to get us to Indy. If you had told me before the season began that we would lose Cade, Lachey and the two top RBs and be 4-1 right now I would have taken it. Helluva game by the team last night.

Curious- why doesn't the coaching staff occasionally use DeJean in the offense? At the very least, it would be a hell of a decoy play..........

It’s too complicated to learn

Yep. Even though DeJean is a coach on the field, a guy with a high football IQ, a man who analyzes film like Werner von Braun studying rocketry, and is the first to arrive, last to leave, asking him to run a single play on offense is simply a bridge too far. Furthermore, you know that Kurt is in there saying "breh, that kid needs to be ready to play 90 plays on defense so no chance in hell you can run him down the field as a decoy even once. In addition to keeping him ready for defense, if he were to score a TD the team would have too much fun and this game is not about fun."

Yep. Even though DeJean is a coach on the field, a guy with a high football IQ, a man who analyzes film like Werner von Braun studying rocketry, and is the first to arrive, last to leave, asking him to run a single play on offense is simply a bridge too far. Furthermore, you know that Kurt is in there saying "breh, that kid needs to be ready to play 90 plays on defense so no chance in hell you can run him down the field as a decoy even once. In addition to keeping him ready for defense, if he were to score a TD the team would have too much fun and this game is not about fun."

That’s some next level stuff

1. Iowa might have found the QB we have waited to see. Deacon Hill gave us the best QB performance we've seen in years. Add 5 of the 6 drops (one was really too hot for the close range) and his statistical performance is much better. He has a very strong arm, throws tight spirals and seemed to locate the open receivers. Hell, he even had a decent run.

Our receiver of the night/game was Mister Cooper Dejean

Most excellent post

:cool:

Thank you, I think losing Cade will be freeing to this team. I think Hill is more then capable of being a good D1 QB and I think he’s closer to Stanley then let’s say CJB… let’s learn how to use him.

Cade has been hampered since the first football practice in the Summer

Subconsciously he Had to favor the recovering injury every second of the game

As brutal as the BigTen is, take a look at the Hawkeyes, it was only a matter of time before
Cade suffered a season-ending injury

He will always be remembered for his very first pass, in his first game as a Hawkeye

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFjSCy9agWA

:cool:

I too have the theory that Cade was mostly ineffective due to injury. Had some great plays and some bonehead plays. Clearly his movement was limited.

Hill's cannon gives the deep routes a better chance if he's at all accurate and if our receivers catch them. He obviously won't have trouble drilling into tight spaces. Uninjured, Hill was decently mobile and can apply some heat to even on the run throws.

There's a learning curve and we'll see what this kid has to learn but he could also be a hell of a gamer.

Hill reminded me of Nathan Stanley at times, especially his run

Not to mention the speed on the ball and his accuracy, which will get better each and every game

First off I agree Cade hurt all season. Don’t give up on this kid. He oozes leadership. Second wrs showed ability to get open - encouraging but have to catch the ball. Third any idea if Johnson or Jaz coming back next week? When there are holes to run through (and granted there are not many) we need to hit them sooner. And perhaps start the rb closer to the line. Purdue game is huge to me. Season could still go either way. Offense has to play much better. Cooper flat out saved the day. Go hawks.

He was running at top speed while analyzing the defenders

The move he started at the 50-yard line and completed around the 40-yard line was a thing
of beauty

There were 5 Spartans converging on him, he immediately juked and two of them collided and then
he juked back to his original path and left three Spartans grasping at air

That run reminded me of Gayle Sayers a lot

He is constantly aware of the opponents while running at top speed

He would glance at the Spartan attempting to stop him and continue to run at top speed, leaving
them in the proverbial dust

DAMN

The most positive development is Iowa WON A GAME where the backup quarterback was forced into service on the second drive of the game. This is unheard of for our program. That kid looked really good on the TD drive and with some more reps he should be plenty good enough to get us to Indy. If you had told me before the season began that we would lose Cade, Lachey and the two top RBs and be 4-1 right now I would have taken it. Helluva game by the team last night.
Not unheard of, just not since Jake Rudock's junior season at Iowa. ;)

He was running at top speed while analyzing the defenders

The move he started at the 50-yard line and completed around the 40-yard line was a thing
of beauty

There were 5 Spartans converging on him, he immediately juked and two of them collided and then
he juked back to his original path and left three Spartans grasping at air

That run reminded me of Gayle Sayers a lot

He is constantly aware of the opponents while running at top speed

He would glance at the Spartan attempting to stop him and continue to run at top speed, leaving
them in the proverbial dust

DAMN
I've been saying this since Cooper's freshman year. They could install a small package for him, especially as a wide receiver. He could run the wild cat, and actually throw as well as run. Four or five plays. I see the possible mistakes, but I'm confident he would be huge net positive.

Latest posts