Thoughts on UNI and moving forward

HawkeyeNTexas

The UNI game was hard to watch. I posted on my facebook before the second half started that the key to Iowa winning was guarding the 3 point shot from UNI. What does UNI do? Shoot basically nothing but 3's the whole second half. Luckily UNI was only 6-30 from 3. If more of those shots would have went in, the game could have been a different story. I just don't get why Iowa has trouble guarding the 3. It was a problem under Davis, Alford, TL, and now possibly Fran. Iowa's opponents shot an average of 40% from 3 point land in their 4 losses. South Dakota State made 10 and Wake Forest made 8. Moving forward, a focus needs to be guarding the 3 against good 3 point shooting teams. Seems obvious to me....
Throughout the game, Iowa's offense seemed to stall at points. I kept being reminded of TL coached teams and the terrible offensive flow. The key to running a fast paced offense is to have cutters and get easy baskets. Iowa rarely gets easy baskets and their screens across the block are terrible. Their were points in the second half where players were just standing around. I think Iowa still suffers a bit of hangover from TL at times. It's hard to break bad habits, but I think they are improving. Give credit to UNI's defense though. They played good defense.
Basabe: Moving forward he needs to play 35 plus minutes. This kid is a stud and in my opinion could be the Hawks primary scorer. He needs to be in the game as much as possible.

Starters I'd like to see:
Basabe, May, Cole, Marble, and Cartwright.

Gatens in my opinion needs to ride the pine until he gets back into form. Coming off the bench maybe will give him some motivation to perform too.

Agree with many of your points but not all of them.

I attended the game; I thought Iowa defended the 3 well. UNI plays terrific defense, which had something to do with Iowa's "flow".

The good news is that we defeated a very good team Tuesday night.

You will get a better read on this team tomorrow night.

Yes, if UNI makes a few more 3's, the game could have been different. But nearly all of those attempts were contested. If they make 5-6 more of those kinds of shots, that's just when you have to tip your cap to the other guy, cause there's not much more you can do to defend it.

Both teams played great defense, and took away what each offense was trying to do. UNI dictated the tempo they wanted, but Iowa proved with defense, rebounding, and patience, that they can play at this pace. Defense and rebounding will be big against ISU as well. Will need to push them outside on defense, and use inside game on offense.

UNI took a lot of those 3's a couple of steps farther out than they would have liked, and that's due to 1) Iowa's defensive effort, which 2) I don't think UNI expected, at least not the players. Personally, I like changing up into a zone, especially an aggressive 1-2-2.

UNI took a lot of those 3's a couple of steps farther out than they would have liked, and that's due to 1) Iowa's defensive effort, which 2) I don't think UNI expected, at least not the players. Personally, I like changing up into a zone, especially an aggressive 1-2-2.

Yeah, most of their open looks were from 23-24 feet. UNI doesn't have a single guy shooting over 33% from the 3-point line, so I'm happy to give that look up every time.

I thought this was a nice win for the Hawks. This season, any win will be a nice win for the Hawks. UNI played okay. The first half was pretty boring. I thought our defense did an okay job on guarding the 3. UNI is going to chuck it no matter what and chuck it ... it did. I just like the fact Iowa is passing well; playing selfless basketball and is learning and is getting better. That is all you can watch for and ask for this season.

Latest posts