Thoughts on Season

Our schedule had more to do with our 10-2 season than our talent and coaching.

- We did not play a team during the regular season that finished the season in the Top 25.

- We lost to the two ranked teams we played in post-season

- We only beat one B10 team with a winning B10 record.

- We played the weak sisters of the B10 East in our crossover games. If we play OSU, MI and MSU this team is likely 7-5
It all depends on which rating service you use.

Sagarin and Massey rated Minnesota, Penn State and Iowa State in their final top 25. We beat those teams.

Kirk has been criticized by many for not winning enough championships with very good teams.

This year he won a Big West Championship with a team with a below average offense. I think it was one of his finest coaching jobs. Championships are to be cherished and celebrated, not criticized.

It all depends on which rating service you use.

Sagarin and Massey rated Minnesota, Penn State and Iowa State in their final top 25. We beat those teams.

Kirk has been criticized by many for not winning enough championships with very good teams.

This year he won a Big West Championship with a team with a below average offense. I think it was one of his finest coaching jobs. Championships are to be cherished and celebrated, not criticized.
I used AP and Coaches polls as the basis for my statement.

But it is interesting to note that despite "10 wins", Sagarin thinks we are mediocre as well. Sagarin has Iowa ranked 8th among B10 teams. 4th in the B10 West.

I was there as well.
However, since you were there, consider this....
In 1974, Commings first season, Iowa went 3-8.
Iowa played 6 teams ranked in the Top 20 at seasons end. Six.
How many final top 20 teams did we play this year in the regular season?
Zero.

This is not a defense of Commings. But an attempt to put our 'success' in perspective. How many regular season 'wins' would this team have, had we played 6 top 20 teams this year?
(Hint: in the post-season, we played two / lost two.)

Many on this site point to 'wins' in defense of the program's stagnant status quo.

Q: How many B10 championships have we won in the last 10 years?
A: But "10 wins!"

Q: How many Top Tier New Years bowls have we won in the last 10 years?

Q: How many Top Ten finishes have we had the last 10 years?

Q: Will we finish in the Top 20 of the final AP poll?

Definitely not being argumentative as you make a great point, but why is it that wins vs. top 20 teams only matter at seasons end? Commings was before my time so not trying to throw any shade his way as this is definitely more observation and speculation based. But with Commings going 0-6 against teams in the top 20 those losses help establish that those teams stayed in the top 20. Kirk on the other hand, has wins against ISU and PSU, who were both top 20 and possibly Indiana (can't remember) but in winning those games helped knock those teams out of the rankings, albeit neither were good and a number of other teams contributed to exposing them as well.

I guess my question is, and not directing this at you specifically, but why are end of season rankings used as the definitive measuring point. Why do wins vs. ranked teams that fall out of the rankings not get any credit, in the grand scheme of things, at the conclusion of the season. IMO if a team is ranked when they are played then it should be viewed as a win against a ranked opponent.