Thoughts on Last Night's Game

sportstalent

After allowing my mind to clear a bit and thinking about how Iowa lost, it came down to the adjustments that Villanova made and Iowa couldn't match up.

One poster said my comment that Iowa became lazy on defense was incorrect that all those 3-pt shots were contested. I do not agree with that because had Iowa watched the game against Kansas, Villanova hit quite a few shots well beyond the arc. There is a difference between just having a hand up and contesting shots and Iowa had their hands up.

Iowa took a lot of shots on one pass once the ball crossed half court. Iowa was mos successful in building a lead when they moved the ball and were patient. Quick shots worked when Iowa was able to get out and run, but when they got into half court, impatience really hurt them.

The depth that Iowa was able to use so effectively in the first half was nullified by the adjustment of Villanova. People who watched the game love to point out officiating, especially during losses, but Iowa still had control of the game and changed what they were doing by playing too fast in the half court game.

i was worried in the 2nd half even when iowa had the double digit lead as iowa got 'stale' on offense and you had this thought that if villanova could hit a couple shots they were right back in it. they were just hanging around, and that is always bad. give villanova a lot of credit - when they needed to, they buried threes. iowa is in good shape - just need to get our playmakers more practice at the free throw line.

Yeah, but Iowa was in a position to not allow FT's to decide the game; I kept telling my wife they can't let 'Nova get it under 10, or they will lose.

After allowing my mind to clear a bit and thinking about how Iowa lost, it came down to the adjustments that Villanova made and Iowa couldn't match up.

One poster said my comment that Iowa became lazy on defense was incorrect that all those 3-pt shots were contested. I do not agree with that because had Iowa watched the game against Kansas, Villanova hit quite a few shots well beyond the arc. There is a difference between just having a hand up and contesting shots and Iowa had their hands up.

Iowa took a lot of shots on one pass once the ball crossed half court. Iowa was mos successful in building a lead when they moved the ball and were patient. Quick shots worked when Iowa was able to get out and run, but when they got into half court, impatience really hurt them.

The depth that Iowa was able to use so effectively in the first half was nullified by the adjustment of Villanova. People who watched the game love to point out officiating, especially during losses, but Iowa still had control of the game and changed what they were doing by playing too fast in the half court game.

Villanova had to take a whopping 38 three-point shots to make their 14 treys. Iowa shot better from the 3-point line (46% to 37%). I think McCaffery will be very happy if Iowa forces opponents to attempt more 3-point shots than 2-point shots. The Wildcats shot 38 treys and only 25 two pointers last night.

Two freshman wing players came off the bench for Nova and they outplayed Iowa's two new wing players, Uthoff and Jok. They played a lot harder and smarter and they did a much better job of creating good shots off the dribble. Uthoff and Jok have a lot to learn. Uthoff plays very soft, especially with his dribble. He looks a little sluggish on defense, while Jok is lost on defense half the time.

Villanova had to take a whopping 38 three-point shots to make their 14 treys. Iowa shot better from the 3-point line (46% to 37%). I think McCaffery will be very happy if Iowa forces opponents to attempt more 3-point shots than 2-point shots. The Wildcats shot 38 treys and only 25 two pointers last night.

Two freshman wing players came off the bench for Nova and they outplayed Iowa's two new wing players, Uthoff and Jok. They played a lot harder and smarter and they did a much better job of creating good shots off the dribble. Uthoff and Jok have a lot to learn. Uthoff plays very soft, especially with his dribble. He looks a little sluggish on defense, while Jok is lost on defense half the time.

uthoff is really tentative at this point in time (i hope). at times, almost like he is going thru the motions. i think that will change with time and comfort level.

The downside to this, however, is that 3 pointers have long rebounds and neutralize our dominant bigs on the boards. We saw it last night several times.

The downside to this, however, is that 3 pointers have long rebounds and neutralize our dominant bigs on the boards. We saw it last night several times.

Unfotunately, we also saw it on a pair of missed 15-foot FTs in the last minute of O.T.

The downside to this, however, is that 3 pointers have long rebounds and neutralize our bigs on the boards. We saw it last night several times.

It kills me to agree with you on this. How many freaking long rebounds did Iowa give up when it mattered most, not just OT, but on missed FT's and missed 3's...a bunch.

It kills me to agree with you on this. How many freaking long rebounds did Iowa give up when it mattered most, not just OT, but on missed FT's and missed 3's...a bunch.

It's the recipe to neutralize dominant players like Woodbury, Olaseni, White and Basabe. Had they tried to play us straight up, they would have lost by 20. That's why Jay Wright is a solid coach, though. Better than most we'll encounter in the B1G, so I'm going to try to get over this one and let it go, but it will be hard.

I was surprised that we went away from the press as much as we did in the second half. They were turning the ball over at a ridiculous rate, then we just stopped pressuring them. We also seemed to go into cruise control late in the game then couldn't crank up the intensity when we needed it.

Oh well, there's not a lot you can do when your opponent is raining in threes. Either team could've won.

my 2 takeways , find more shots for McCabe guy can flat out shoot and is playing like a senior. Reguardless of how much " depth " we supposidly have , if we kept pressing we only have 3 legit player how have play the 1 & 2 positions . If ogelsby is there they keep pressing and can give someone else rest , fran stopped pressing to conserve our 1's n 2's

Latest posts