Thoughts, Observations, Notes from Hawkeyes' Upset of No. 13 Oregon

I read on somewhere that Pemsl might be some for the season. Any thoughts on that Rob or was that just a rumor?

One of my fears is Pemsl coming back and throwing off the rotation. I suppose it’ll be nice to get him back for situations like last night if Cook gets into foul trouble but I hope he isn’t added back into the rotation when he returns.

One of my fears is Pemsl coming back and throwing off the rotation. I suppose it’ll be nice to get him back for situations like last night if Cook gets into foul trouble but I hope he isn’t added back into the rotation when he returns.

I've been hearing skuzzle that he might be out for the season?

It's not been determined, at least of last night, that Pemsl is ruled out for the season. They're just taking it day to day, as Fran said on Wednesday. That said, I wouldn't expect him back soon as things stand right now.

I dunno - I think anything would be on the table, but personally, I'd like to see us roll with what we got and leave Jack right where he is.
I don’t wish injury on anyone but with Garza, Cook, Kriener, and Baer we have more than enough depth to cover the 4-5 spots.

I dunno - I think anything would be on the table, but personally, I'd like to see us roll with what we got and leave Jack right where he is.
Yeah I kinda think Nunge needs that year off. I'd say only use him if absolutely necessary too. To use him this year for 5 mins or less a game would be about pointless for him and team.

I hope Pemsel comes back. I still think hes a decent player and can contribute to the team. His free throws look a lot better this year.

A few things from last night -
For the most part, Iowa D played well but there are some holes that need to be shored up. I've noticed teams have been able to beat Iowa on baseline drives. Opposing teams seem to be able to get to the basket easily. Our wings aren't closing quick enough and the help is a bit slow as well. It might be something to watch for as the season goes on. But overall defense looked good.

Kriener is a smart player. I think it was two times Kriener backed Bol underneath the hoop and then did a hook shot. I think this was after Bol got his first 3 blocks. Kriener used the hoop so Bol couldn't get another block. In the second half, Bol started to go over the top of Kriener but Kriener boxed him out and Bohannon was able to pass on the inside giving Ryan an easy basket. Great pass and awareness by Bohannon and a good move by Kriener.

Bohannon's 3s look off. It might because of the injury and him not able to practice for sometime, but this season his 3s look a bit off. Not too worried about it and I think he will start to drain them more consistently. Hopefully it'll be very soon.

If he ever redshirts he will be one of those players who seemed like he was around for fifteen years.
If he is indeed out for the season he would be able to get a medical hardship redshirt. He also might be a transfer candidate given what’s in front of him with Nunge returning next year. Xavier Foster come on down!

But that’s all speculative at this point

I really don’t mean to discredit the win last night but Oregon obviously didn’t shoot it that well and I think they are actually a decent matchup for the Hawks. Their PG seemed to be more of a physical guard than the quicker guards that give us fits. The zone D obviously helped too.

Also our bigs knocking down 3s helps and makes it tougher for a guy like Bol work a lot harder on D. Something seemed off with Bol last night. I’ve never watched him play but he seemed gassed 4-5 min into the game.

I didn’t see enough of the UCONN game but they just faced the Syracuse zone with little issues.

I’m happy with the win and this team will be competitive but I don’t know that I’d predict a win tonight.

I also think that Hurley is a pretty good coach.
Why did Oregon play all that zone?

Who cares if someone gets by a defender in man to man. Look who would have been waiting in the lane to protect the rim.

That was an invitation for Garza and Kreiner and they took advantage. Both outside shooting and offensive rebounding. And yes we look physically stronger, especially Cook and Kreiner.

I know the win over Oregon is being downplayed now even though we were supposed to get boat raced.

Oregon missed open shots and shot poorly.
Iowa missed open shots and shot a worse %

Iowa had more turnovers.
Iowa had fewer assists.

Those stats would have been indicative of Iowa getting blown out. They weren’t. So it was a good win and Oregon doesn’t suck.

That being said, when you’re playing a game of h-o-r-s-e .... you have to prove it to win it.

For me, this entire season for Fran is a “prove it” season. One game doesn’t.

If he is indeed out for the season he would be able to get a medical hardship redshirt. He also might be a transfer candidate given what’s in front of him with Nunge returning next year. Xavier Foster come on down!

But that’s all speculative at this point

If he does redshirt, it would certainly benefit us in the long run. Especially if Riley Till can provide the spark he did last night. With Cook leaving, he'd shift a scholarship in that massive 6 departure class back and provide a strong inside presence while Patrick puts on weight. That said, we could certainly use him this year too.

I hope Pemsel comes back. I still think hes a decent player and can contribute to the team. His free throws look a lot better this year.

A few things from last night -
For the most part, Iowa D played well but there are some holes that need to be shored up. I've noticed teams have been able to beat Iowa on baseline drives. Opposing teams seem to be able to get to the basket easily. Our wings aren't closing quick enough and the help is a bit slow as well. It might be something to watch for as the season goes on. But overall defense looked good.

Kriener is a smart player. I think it was two times Kriener backed Bol underneath the hoop and then did a hook shot. I think this was after Bol got his first 3 blocks. Kriener used the hoop so Bol couldn't get another block. In the second half, Bol started to go over the top of Kriener but Kriener boxed him out and Bohannon was able to pass on the inside giving Ryan an easy basket. Great pass and awareness by Bohannon and a good move by Kriener.

Bohannon's 3s look off. It might because of the injury and him not able to practice for sometime, but this season his 3s look a bit off. Not too worried about it and I think he will start to drain them more consistently. Hopefully it'll be very soon.

For some reason, Kriener reminds me of Ryan Bowen.....

Maybe it is the first name resemblance.....

:cool:

Moss was instrumental in the win last night. He started the game very well for the Hawks.....

Jordan was instrumental in bringing the ball downcourt the entire game. When he and Connor were in we handled the desperate press extremely well. Jordan's experience running the point as a freshman with an undermanned inexperienced team has paid dividends along with last year's experience also helped. He instinctively knew what to do on every occasion. At times it seemed as though he has eyes in the back of his head.....

Connor played far above his experience and is essential to our success this season. It is rewarding to see the ball movement and confidence that they both bring to the team.....

Tyler played his best game as a Hawk, all things being considered. He has matured vastly and also contributed to the pressure from the Ducks in the second half. He played solid D and rebounded well......

Ryan Kriener might have been the key to the game. His play under the basket on offense and defense was key. When he nailed that long three in the first half the Ducks looked at each other like: WTF.....

I think they knew then that the game was over. They looked defeated most of the game, especially after starting a second-half rally only to watch the Hawks take another ten point lead.....

This was a solid Team victory. The entire team played unselfishly and confidently. They learned enormously last season and are determined to show that the promise from 2 years ago was not a fluke. And It Wasn't.....

JoeW played well for his first big time game at MSG, He made a huge three in the second half. Hei is a smart, basketball savvy Lad and is going to bring the house down this year on many occasions......

I would have liked to see Cordelll play last night. He is a big part of this team and looked ready to play this season, losing a lot of weight and appeared much quicker. We could use him this season, but don;t want him coming back before he is completely healed. Perhaps a red shirt and bring JackN back on board.....

Things are looking up and this is going to be a fun season to watch.....

No time to proofread the idle musings of an unrepentant Homer.....

:cool:

Last night didn't sell me on the Hawks yet, Oregon may be a decent team but they were not worthy of their #13 ranking.

It sickens me that Fran didn't go out and get a true point guard, it's still hurting especially on the offensive end. The defense is MUCH improved over last year, that zone did not lead to a lot of wide open shots like it did last year. I still fear a good penetrating point guard that can find open shooters on the perimeter. But the perimeter defense is moving around much better.

It will be interesting to see how they play tonight. The game may be a neutral site but I'm sure the crowd will heavily favor UConn.

That was pretty much my take too. Still don't know about this team. I do know Oregon was awful and didn't seem all that interested in playing basketball a lot of the game. If that is the best team in the PAC-10 then that conference is hilariously bad. Probably have a better idea after tonight. Either way good boost of confidence for a group of guys who needed it.

Any thoughts on why Till came off the bench so soon? He played smart while he was out there and was rewarded with extra minutes in the 1st half but not as much in the 2nd half.

Any thoughts on why Till came off the bench so soon? He played smart while he was out there and was rewarded with extra minutes in the 1st half but not as much in the 2nd half.

Fran's first half 2 foul rule.

Edit: Maybe not, nobody was in foul trouble at the time... Maybe he's been killing it in practice?

Just found the answer, here is a quote from Fran after the game: "I am proud of Riley Till, he played well. We were down Cordell (Pemsl), so I told Riley yesterday, you're No. 10 and you're going to be in there. He fought defensively and was always in the right place."