Thoughts, Observations, Notes from Hawkeyes' Upset of No. 13 Oregon

I have a feeling Toussaint and McCaffery were pretty excited. A lot of the iowa fans would of been a lot poorer tonight if they had a chance to bet on the game.

A lot of phenominal defense played where defenders hips beat ball handlers to their own spot, and with hands straight up...still took a foul call.. The most sound defense I've seen Iowa play in a long time.

One reason basketball has fallen in favor in my eyes. To win against top teams, or any team rather, you have to play 10 points better than them to have a chance. Ref's decide who wins.

Iowa dominated from the tip off but somehow only led by 9 at half.. O ya, it's because the ducks had 24 free throws to 3.

Last night didn't sell me on the Hawks yet, Oregon may be a decent team but they were not worthy of their #13 ranking.

It sickens me that Fran didn't go out and get a true point guard, it's still hurting especially on the offensive end. The defense is MUCH improved over last year, that zone did not lead to a lot of wide open shots like it did last year. I still fear a good penetrating point guard that can find open shooters on the perimeter. But the perimeter defense is moving around much better.

It will be interesting to see how they play tonight. The game may be a neutral site but I'm sure the crowd will heavily favor UConn.

Last edited:
Holding an Altman coached team under 70 points and under 40% shooting is impressive.

Maybe we had something to do with it.

Maybe we're just overdue for a few breaks to go our way, and catch teams on cold shooting nights once in a while.

Lord knows we've caught teams on hot shooting nights enough times.

My prediction for tonight? Wiescamp bounces back and plays well. He looked a little sideways last night.

It is wayyyyyy too early to get a handle on this team, but I tip my cap to them for their effort last night. This is a quality win no matter how you slice it. The Hawks played much better defensively, and have been taking care of business at the FT line.

Even tougher game on tap tonight, but not an impossible one. If the Hawks play like they did last night, they can make a game of it!

Oregon played awful last night. Once they figure out how to move the ball around like Dana Altman teams do so well they are going to be very dangerous. Explosive guards and some trees down low. We got them on an off night.

I really don’t mean to discredit the win last night but Oregon obviously didn’t shoot it that well and I think they are actually a decent matchup for the Hawks. Their PG seemed to be more of a physical guard than the quicker guards that give us fits. The zone D obviously helped too.

Also our bigs knocking down 3s helps and makes it tougher for a guy like Bol work a lot harder on D. Something seemed off with Bol last night. I’ve never watched him play but he seemed gassed 4-5 min into the game.

I didn’t see enough of the UCONN game but they just faced the Syracuse zone with little issues.

I’m happy with the win and this team will be competitive but I don’t know that I’d predict a win tonight.

I also think that Hurley is a pretty good coach.

Iowa seemed interested in playing defense. Hustle, help, thinking.

The team seems be a team, more so than last year.

Confident and competent free throw shooting teams are difficult to beat and especially difficult to catch up to when they are ahead.

I will be interested to see if the same effort, competencies are evident today, win or lose.

Iowa fans need some "good news" and something to hope and dream about after another Kirk Flop and a horrendous BB season last year.

Well hey for a season in which the BIG looks to be tough and every win will be big this is a huge resume builder. Now we just hope Oregon will recover and be for real going forward...