Thoughts, Observations, Notes from Hawkeyes Hoops Win Against UMKC

Oh for sure. Teams can improve mightily, remember the year we lost our exhibition and then came roaring out of the gates? I’ll watch every game I'm sure, but until proven otherwise I just don’t have any reason for much optimism.

that's fair and I get it. This program has lost the benefit of the doubt.

1 game overreaction:

Bad stats:

Bohannon 1 for 5 from 3
Iowa as a team shot 28% from 3
Iowa only out-rebounded UMKC by 2
UMKC had 12 offensive rebounds
Iowa with 16 turnovers
UMKC with 11 steals, Iowa with 3 steals
Cook 4-7 from the free throw line

Good stats:

Cook with 8 boards, 3 blocks, and 5 assists
Everything Wieskamp
Baer 6 boards, 2 steals, 1 block in 15 minutes. Being the disruptor he needs to be
Bohannon/Connor/Garza/Daily shot 20 for 21 from the free throw line

Reasons for concern:

Moss only played 15 minutes
Pemsl never shot the ball
Take away Wieskamp and Iowa shot 16% (3 for 19) from three point range.
Matty the sideline reporter struggled mightily

Iowa with 16 turnovers
giphy.gif

I'm not concerned at all about the 3 point shooting because it's always going to fluctuate from game to game. Everything else concerns me a lot.

Iowa lead was at 2 in the second half so not sure they controlled the game from the tip. Who knows what that game would have looked like if not for the huge free throw disparity.

But anyways yes good post. I’m probably overreacting a little bit too negatively to this game. Iowa will be an improved team this year, I don’t think anyone questions that, but that’s mainly because of how bad they sucked last year.

It’s tourney or bust this year for me, although I pretty much threw in the towel on Fran last year anyway. The tournament seems like an absolute pipe dream at this point, however stranger turnarounds have happened in college b-ball.

The huge free throw disparity happened because we were a bigger better team than they are. It's not really right to take away our one good thing we got going for us. That's like saying we would have destroyed them if you take away their quickness.

Iowa looked pretty bad...there's no way around it. I don't know what they're trying to do on offense, but it wasn't working. On defense I felt more like UMKC missed shots rather than Iowa played decent defense.

I will say that Wieskamp impressed me. He hit the boards hard and wasn't afraid to shoot
Opposing teams are going to try and smother our back court players, every time they get the ball over half court. That's going to be the case for this team all season. We just don't have the guards. Until that changes, I don't see much success with Fran.

Appeared that Moss had hammy issues last night. Trying to stretch him out at half.
Of course, everyone on here trashes the kid for 15 play minutes...
My guess on JBO is that he hasn’t practiced for awhile.
Kept Garza’s minutes down a little too, which is a smart move.

The huge free throw disparity happened because we were a bigger better team than they are. It's not really right to take away our one good thing we got going for us. That's like saying we would have destroyed them if you take away their quickness.
That is partially correct. In the 2H (which you didn’t see?), Iowa got four dead ball FTs, two off a questionable flagrant foul where the offensive player look to have inadvertently elbowed Jbo. Two more on a technical foul after their coach was arguing about the foul calls.

Iowa looked to have practiced maintaining verticality when contesting shots to avoid fouls which was nice to see. But it did seem like we got a lot of calls that were close.

It's because Moss is basically a chucker with extremely low team-basketball IQ. Seems to be a pervasive trait throughout this team - especially at the 2 thru 4 positions - and throughout much of developmental travel ball.

It's a complete shame how so much of the strategical nuance of the game -- things like: ball movement; moving without the ball; basic pick / roll concepts; fighting for position; recognizing mismatches
versus proper defensive awareness and positioning --
all these things that require great physical and mental effort and skill and that make basketball such a beautiful sport, is getting destroyed by this street-ball mentality and the fallacious notion this is a back-court game.

I've long criticized the idiocy of hedge defense - especially when you don't have the superior athletes to execute. Just another example of the soup de jour ... Heaven forbid if Iowa isn't keeping up with the perceived trends, results be damned.:rolleyes::mad::mad:
I see it all summer long on the AAU tournament circuit. No team concepts being coached. I saw a KC team this summer that was just loaded with athletic talent. At every position. And one player on that team was allowed to cherry pick all game long. His teammates were basically playing defense 4 on 5. And there were 5 other players on the bench that coach could have put in the line up. It was embarrassing, frankly. I felt embarrassed for that team/coach.

This is a young team, so....;)

I see what you did there, but the reality is this team isn’t young. They however might be one of the deepest teams in the country :D:D:cool:

I’m counting down the days for when Fran is GONE.l I think with the right coach and coached to their strengths that this team would be very very good..

I see it all summer long on the AAU tournament circuit. No team concepts being coached. I saw a KC team this summer that was just loaded with athletic talent. At every position. And one player on that team was allowed to cherry pick all game long. His teammates were basically playing defense 4 on 5. And there were 5 other players on the bench that coach could have put in the line up. It was embarrassing, frankly. I felt embarrassed for that team/coach.
When I see the other teams best athlete sit at the top of a 1-3-1 and just wait for a rebound so he can run out ahead of the pack, it drives me nuts. The other four kids are trying to play defense and one is out there cherry picking.

If he's being active and cutting off passing lanes and forcing the offense to areas of the court they don't want to be in and he gets an occasional runout that's a different story.

When I see the other teams best athlete sit at the top of a 1-3-1 and just wait for a rebound so he can run out ahead of the pack, it drives me nuts. The other four kids are trying to play defense and one is out there cherry picking.

If he's being active and cutting off passing lanes and forcing the offense to areas of the court they don't want to be in and he gets an occasional runout that's a different story.
If this kid got over the half court line on defense....it was a bonus! That's what I'm talking about. Actual cherry picking in the worst sense of the term. It was embarrassing. I wanted to walk over and tell their coach that it was OK to bench that kid. To explain to him that kid wasn't going to get any college offers anyway.

I see what you did there, but the reality is this team isn’t young. They however might be one of the deepest teams in the country :D:D:cool:

I’m counting down the days for when Fran is GONE.l I think with the right coach and coached to their strengths that this team would be very very good..
He's a prick, but this is your guy!

273CC14900000578-0-image-a-3_1428013613182.jpg

If this kid got over the half court line on defense....it was a bonus! That's what I'm talking about. Actual cherry picking in the worst sense of the term. It was embarrassing. I wanted to walk over and tell their coach that it was OK to bench that kid. To explain to him that kid wasn't going to get any college offers anyway.
Wow, they jump your ass for that in noon games at the YMCA and many will stop passing to the offender.

If a high school or AAU coach is letting his player get away with it that's certainly a coach I wouldn't want my kid playing for.

1 game overreaction:

Bad stats:

Bohannon 1 for 5 from 3
Iowa as a team shot 28% from 3
Iowa only out-rebounded UMKC by 2
UMKC had 12 offensive rebounds
Iowa with 16 turnovers
Cook 4-7 from the free throw line

Good stats:

Cook with 8 boards, 3 blocks, and 5 assists
Everything Wieskamp
Baer 6 boards, 2 steals, 1 block in 15 minutes. Being the disruptor he needs to be
Bohannon/Connor/Garza/Daily shot 20 for 21 from the free throw line

Reasons for concern:

Moss only played 15 minutes
Pemsl never shot the ball
Matty the sideline reporter struggled mightily

You left out some bad stats:
Pemsl - 0 points in 14 mins
Hawks allowed 12 offensive rebounds to a smaller team= not blocking out
UMKC had 11 steals= sloppy passing
Moss was [again] a no show= 3 points in 15 minutes. I thought he was coming out in beast mode this year!
Terrible shot selection

Very little for me to be happy about other than:
1. We won
2. I don't see how we can play much worse.
Lets hope the boys get their heads out of their butts and learn from this!

Opposing teams are going to try and smother our back court players, every time they get the ball over half court. That's going to be the case for this team all season. We just don't have the guards. Until that changes, I don't see much success with Fran.
Haven't seen your buddy Ihawk94 in a good long while.

I guess he got tired of trying to explain the success of Fran's first eight years, or how Lute got a longer leash even as his tenure was comparable (in his eyes) to Fran's, or whatever the hell he was trying to say.

Last edited: