Thoughts, Observations, Notes from Hawkeyes Hoops Win Against UMKC

It’s a sad state of affairs when we confuse whatever that was with good defense. The kangaroos had wide open three after wide open three, they just weren’t hitting them, likely because they aren’t very good.

The kangaroos shot under 30% from the floor against Loyola Chicago in a 47 point effort.

It’s a sad state of affairs when we confuse whatever that was with good defense. The kangaroos had wide open three after wide open three, they just weren’t hitting them, likely because they aren’t very good.

The kangaroos shot under 30% from the floor against Loyola Chicago in a 47 point effort.

IMO, I believe the Kangaroos game plan was to shorten the game by waiting until they were deep in the shot clock before they took a shot. Assuming their coach watched game film, we have had a history of playing good D for 20-25 seconds only to breakdown and give our opponents easy baskets. It didn't end up that way because they were missing the threes and other open shots, but it certainly kept the game a lot closer than Vegas thought they would.

It kind of reminds me of last year. Guys were hurt at the beginning of last year, and this year Bohannon is hurt again, and their center had a nine pound cyst removed. Its hard to evaluate when crap happens.

Still saw more of the over helping for no reason and leaving your guy wide open for 3. I guy took one dribble on Wieskamp, who was running with him, and Moss leaves his man for no reason to come help. You just cant do that and I see it all the time. That kid wasnt going anywhere with the ball. Why does Moss need to help like that? It's sooo bad and its sooo easy for the other team to get us to do it.

It kind of reminds me of last year. Guys were hurt at the beginning of last year, and this year Bohannon is hurt again, and their center had a nine pound cyst removed. Its hard to evaluate when crap happens.
It's not good when the excuses start after just the first game. :(

Iowa looked pretty bad...there's no way around it. I don't know what they're trying to do on offense, but it wasn't working. On defense I felt more like UMKC missed shots rather than Iowa played decent defense.

I will say that Wieskamp impressed me. He hit the boards hard and wasn't afraid to shoot

You don't want to leave your man, who is a good long range shooter, to help out someone else who "needs help" covering a poor shooter. You want poor shooters to shoot all game long.

This year, Iowa, a team with some talent, yet without PG talent.

I didn't get to see the game but you answered the one question I was going to ask. Very frustrating to hear that this team still refuses to play perimeter defense.

I didn't get to see the game but you answered the one question I was going to ask. Very frustrating to hear that this team still refuses to play perimeter defense.
I’m not sure it was lack of effort last night.

To me it’s one part lack of defensive talent (footspeed), and it’s one part terrible coaching. Fran continues to bang his head against the wall with the over hedging and over helping whether it be in man or zone (we played primarily zone last night). That style may have worked when we had guards who could keep guys in front, and bigs who knew where to be, but that style does not work when you have neither.

Iowa didn't look sharp, but controlled the game from the tip. The over reaction to a sloppy opener isn't shocking to me either. People want to be pissed. I get it. I was not impressed either and Hawkeye fans aren't over last season 1 bit. Their guards penetrated at will, Iowa did not protect the perimeter well and looked stagnant on offense. It looked a lot like last year. Except, IMO - I saw that Dailey is gonna add something more this year IMO. He looks like he might be an upgrade at the 2 when all said and done. I saw Cook with a better overall complete game. I saw a major upgrade at the 3 spot. IMO, this team is still going to be much better than last year. How much better? I'll let it play it out because being "right" on Hawkeyenation is over rated. Iowa still needs to make the dance for me, that target won't change until its not a reality.

Iowa missed a lot of open looks too that they don't usually miss, there seemed to be a lot more effort on the defensive end which is encouraging. I still don't get the rotation where we have no good offensive players on the floor though...

Iowa didn't look sharp, but controlled the game from the tip. The over reaction to a sloppy opener isn't shocking to me either. People want to be pissed. I get it. I was not impressed either and Hawkeye fans aren't over last season 1 bit. Their guards penetrated at will, Iowa did not protect the perimeter well and looked stagnant on offense. It looked a lot like last year. Except, IMO - I saw that Dailey is gonna add something more this year IMO. He looks like he might be an upgrade at the 2 when all said and done. I saw Cook with a better overall complete game. I saw a major upgrade at the 3 spot. IMO, this team is still going to be much better than last year. How much better? I'll let it play it out because being "right" on Hawkeyenation is over rated. Iowa still needs to make the dance for me, that target won't change until its not a reality.
Iowa lead was at 2 in the second half so not sure they controlled the game from the tip. Who knows what that game would have looked like if not for the huge free throw disparity.

But anyways yes good post. I’m probably overreacting a little bit too negatively to this game. Iowa will be an improved team this year, I don’t think anyone questions that, but that’s mainly because of how bad they sucked last year.

It’s tourney or bust this year for me, although I pretty much threw in the towel on Fran last year anyway. The tournament seems like an absolute pipe dream at this point, however stranger turnarounds have happened in college b-ball.

Iowa lead was at 2 in the second half so not sure they controlled the game from the tip. Who knows what that game would have looked like if not for the huge free throw disparity.

But anyways yes good post. I’m probably overreacting a little bit too negatively to this game. Iowa will be an improved team this year, I don’t think anyone questions that, but that’s mainly because of how bad they sucked last year.

It’s tourney or bust this year for me, although I pretty much threw in the towel on Fran last year anyway. The tournament seems like an absolute pipe dream at this point, however stranger turnarounds have happened in college b-ball.

Yeah, I felt like Iowa was in control from the start last night - even if the score didn't indicate it in the first half, which is why I assumed they would cover and you thought Iowa might lose. We look at it differently. Neither is wrong. I'm probably more optimistic and you are probably too pessimistic. The real answer is probably in between and that doesn't mean I think Iowa looked good, they didn't, but I could tell they were far superior in the first 10 minutes as they should have been. Sometimes that's gotta shake out over the course of a full game - especially early in the season. I think they upgraded in some spots. I know you have... let's call it a "thing" for Connor, but I thought he played well in the 2nd half and defensively was a +. It's just hard for me to say "this is team is garbage and we're going to have a bad year" after 1 game, just like I wouldn't be saying "Championship" if Iowa had beaten UMKC by 30.

I'm hoping last night was just first game jitters/rust, otherwise it is going to be another long season.

Yeah, I felt like Iowa was in control from the start last night - even if the score didn't indicate it in the first half, which is why I assumed they would cover and you thought Iowa might lose. We look at it differently. Neither is wrong. I'm probably more optimistic and you are probably too pessimistic. The real answer is probably in between and that doesn't mean I think Iowa looked good, they didn't, but I could tell they were far superior in the first 10 minutes as they should have been. Sometimes that's gotta shake out over the course of a full game - especially early in the season. I think they upgraded in some spots. I know you have... let's call it a "thing" for Connor, but I thought he played well in the 2nd half and defensively was a +. It's just hard for me to say "this is team is garbage and we're going to have a bad year" after 1 game, just like I wouldn't be saying "Championship" if Iowa had beaten UMKC by 30.
It’s interesting. I’m not usually too pessimistic, I’ve actaully been one of the more positive posters on the football board. I have extremely termpered my expectations for Iowa b-ball this year but with that said I was giddy for the game last night and Joe Weiskamp.

Overall I would grade the night a D.

The Nunge redshirt was shocking to me, I actually grade him out as the 5th best player on the team. Many of the advanced stats last year agree with that. We’ve just missed the tournament two years in a row, we need all hands on deck to try to get back. The only reason he’s redshirting is because Fran refuses to sit guys and wants to play everyone. Smart move by Nunge personally but that doesn’t solve any problems for Iowa b-ball today.

Then the game came on and we saw the same things that plagued this team last year. Then following the game I hear quotes from Kriener talking about how are defense kept us in it. Our defense was terrible imo.

I don’t know what it is about Iowa basketball right now, but it just seems like it needs a refresh.

Still saw more of the over helping for no reason and leaving your guy wide open for 3. I guy took one dribble on Wieskamp, who was running with him, and Moss leaves his man for no reason to come help. You just cant do that and I see it all the time. That kid wasnt going anywhere with the ball. Why does Moss need to help like that? It's sooo bad and its sooo easy for the other team to get us to do it.

It's because Moss is basically a chucker with extremely low team-basketball IQ. Seems to be a pervasive trait throughout this team - especially at the 2 thru 4 positions - and throughout much of developmental travel ball.

It's a complete shame how so much of the strategical nuance of the game -- things like: ball movement; moving without the ball; basic pick / roll concepts; fighting for position; recognizing mismatches
versus proper defensive awareness and positioning --
all these things that require great physical and mental effort and skill and that make basketball such a beautiful sport, is getting destroyed by this street-ball mentality and the fallacious notion this is a back-court game.

I've long criticized the idiocy of hedge defense - especially when you don't have the superior athletes to execute. Just another example of the soup de jour ... Heaven forbid if Iowa isn't keeping up with the perceived trends, results be damned.:rolleyes::mad::mad:

It’s interesting. I’m not usually too pessimistic, I’ve actaully been one of the more positive posters on the football board. I have extremely termpered my expectations for Iowa b-ball this year but with that said I was giddy for the game last night and Joe Weiskamp.

Overall I would grade the night a D.

The Nunge redshirt was shocking to me, I actually grade him out as the 5th best player on the team. Many of the advanced stats last year agree with that. We’ve just missed the tournament two years in a row, we need all hands on deck to try to get back. The only reason he’s redshirting is because Fran refuses to sit guys and wants to play everyone. Smart move by Nunge personally but that doesn’t solve any problems for Iowa b-ball today.

Then the game came on and we saw the same things that plagued this team last year. Then following the game I hear quotes from Kriener talking about how are defense kept us in it. Our defense was terrible imo.

I don’t know what it is about Iowa basketball right now, but it just seems like it needs a refresh.

I don't disagree with much of any of this, it does feel stale from the top to bottom including the team.. but can we give them a chance or do we just give up after starting 1-0? I just think you're gleaning to much off of 1 game, that was a win. I saw all the same things you did on defense, but did you expect it to be a night and day difference? I didn't, and frankly, it doesn't have to be for this team to be decent. Save these posts for after a loss and pace yourself buddy or you're gonna have a long season too. I saw a ton of negatives in the game and our defense still looked bad, but I saw some things I liked. I know you're down on the Nunge RS, but I look at it as a positive. I see it like this - with CJ and Jack RS, Fran has 10 players to work with. That already shortens the bench from last season. Once he stopped with the whole shift line up changes, I saw some combinations I liked. Dailey is gonna play, I think that was evident last night and he looked more confident with the ball. Iowa has much more guard depth to play with and IMO - Connor had 7 pts, 3 assists and no TO's - you'll take that from your back up PG most nights and he played a great role that Iowa didn't have last year. I am just not as down today about things as most are. I can be that and still admit Iowa didn't look good last night.

I don't disagree with much of any of this, it does feel stale from the top to bottom including the team.. but can we give them a chance or do we just give up after starting 1-0? I just think you're gleaning to much off of 1 game, that was a win. I saw all the same things you did on defense, but did you expect it to be a night and day difference? I didn't, and frankly, it doesn't have to be for this team to be decent. Save these posts for after a loss and pace yourself buddy or you're gonna have a long season too. I saw a ton of negatives in the game and our defense still looked bad, but I saw some things I liked. I know you're down on the Nunge RS, but I look at it as a positive. I see it like this - with CJ and Jack RS, Fran has 10 players to work with. That already shortens the bench from last season. Once he stopped with the whole shift line up changes, I saw some combinations I liked. Dailey is gonna play, I think that was evident last night and he looked more confident with the ball. Iowa has much more guard depth to play with and IMO - Connor had 7 pts, 3 assists and no TO's - you'll take that from your back up PG most nights and he played a great role that Iowa didn't have last year. I am just not as down today about things as most are. I can be that and still admit Iowa didn't look good last night.
Oh for sure. Teams can improve mightily, remember the year we lost our exhibition and then came roaring out of the gates? I’ll watch every game I'm sure, but until proven otherwise I just don’t have any reason for much optimism.