thoughts after a few days...

31 points with an ultra-conservative gameplan, missed FG, and dropped TD pass in the first game isn’t terrible.
Umm, not against the FCS is isn't. Iowa is (or should be) bigger, faster, and stronger than UNI at every position. Kirk saying they kept the passes short because UNI is a deep zone team is a joke. Iowa should be able to do whatever they want against them.

Umm, not against the FCS is isn't. Iowa is (or should be) bigger, faster, and stronger than UNI at every position. Kirk saying they kept the passes short because UNI is a deep zone team is a joke. Iowa should be able to do whatever they want against them.

THIS !!!!!

And the TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE !!!!!!!!

Either Hamilton or Duzey, 3rd quarter...

It was Hamilton. They also missed out on an opportunity when 2 receivers collided on a deep scissors. They failed to convert a 4th down in the red-zone. And they fumbled after converting a 3rd and long via the pass.

Now you can't just take away the mistakes, Iowa has to own them. But they all seem correctable. From listening to Podolak, it also seems like Ruddock had opportunities to hit deep receivers a few times but came underneath too quickly. Also correctable.

I was disappointed in their running game, but run-blocking with this scheme takes more time than pass-pro (which was excellent). I am cautiously optimistic going forward.

It was Hamilton. They also missed out on an opportunity when 2 receivers collided on a deep scissors. They failed to convert a 4th down in the red-zone. And they fumbled after converting a 3rd and long via the pass.

Now you can't just take away the mistakes, Iowa has to own them. But they all seem correctable. From listening to Podolak, it also seems like Ruddock had opportunities to hit deep receivers a few times but came underneath too quickly. Also correctable.

I was disappointed in their running game, but run-blocking with this scheme takes more time than pass-pro (which was excellent). I am cautiously optimistic going forward.

The fumble didn't really change anything because we got a pick a few plays later and ended up in about the same field position.

It was Hamilton.

Not so sure I'd call that a "dropped TD pass". IIRC he wasn't even in the endzone. Play that could have yielded a TD, yes...like many others.(including at least one for UNI) But sure TD, perhaps not. Demonstrated by the fact that he didn't catch it.

Either way, we got through week 1 without showing much. And the defensive back 7 has plenty of film to work on. Unfortunately so do our opponents. Look for a lot of passes across the middle to exploit LB coverage. Hopefully our guys will go to school.

Bowers looks promising, but also a bit smallish for Big Ten play.

Hope we get to see C.J Saturday and also give our Frosh kicker a shot or two. But I doubt we'll see anything more on offense unless absolutely needed. Let's pull it out to destroy ISU.

It was Hamilton.

Not so sure I'd call that a "dropped TD pass". IIRC he wasn't even in the endzone. Play that could have yielded a TD, yes...like many others.(including at least one for UNI) But sure TD, perhaps not. Demonstrated by the fact that he didn't catch it.

Either way, we got through week 1 without showing much. And the defensive back 7 has plenty of film to work on. Unfortunately so do our opponents. Look for a lot of passes across the middle to exploit LB coverage. Hopefully our guys will go to school.

Bowers looks promising, but also a bit smallish for Big Ten play.

Hope we get to see C.J Saturday and also give our Frosh kicker a shot or two. But I doubt we'll see anything more on offense unless absolutely needed. Let's pull it out to destroy ISU.

He's playing the Leo. We've had some smallish guys at that position before, and he's just a freshman. He'll fill out as he gets older and he's already showing a lot of promise. Honestly, that doesn't sound all that dissimilar to Morris, and he might have turned into a star for us sooner if it hadn't been for the various injuries he played through as a sophomore and junior.

He's playing the Leo. We've had some smallish guys at that position before, and he's just a freshman. He'll fill out as he gets older and he's already showing a lot of promise. Honestly, that doesn't sound all that dissimilar to Morris, and he might have turned into a star for us sooner if it hadn't been for the various injuries he played through as a sophomore and junior.

Yeah, we should get used to players like Kirksey manning that position. I'm pretty sure he played his first year about 220 pounds, and went into the draft at like 230-235. They need to be able to run and cover, and don't have to be 240-250 lbs. Edds was a freak and could run playing at 240 lbs, but that is more the outlier I think.

- honestly can anyone say that CD and LTP aren't one of the better Dtackle tandems that we have fielded? And the receivers may be the fastest and most athletic groups ever? Those two are facts and then you can couple that with the Oline strengths along with RB and QB depth has me excited!!
I'm right there with you. I'm not too worried about the conservative offense. I think that'll open up as the year goes on. They'll take more shots and mix up the audibles. I thought Davis had a ton of different formations being used and personal groupings. Especially early on. I'm fired up to see how this next game goes I think they can open a can on Ball State this week. It might not be 40 to 0. But I don't anticipate a one score game like this last one.
And I couldn't agree more about CD and LTP. LTP is a very good player. Quick strong hands and plays with leverage. He compliments Davis perfectly.

Yeah, we should get used to players like Kirksey manning that position. I'm pretty sure he played his first year about 220 pounds, and went into the draft at like 230-235. They need to be able to run and cover, and don't have to be 240-250 lbs. Edds was a freak and could run playing at 240 lbs, but that is more the outlier I think.

that is great and all... but last i checked kirksey was 1'2" according to madden... zing.

On a more serious note, Iowa looks like this at the beginning of the season every freaking year. It is usually uneven and they struggle to find any consistency on offense. 2002 iowa and 2003 iowa barely eclipsed 20 points on miami of ohio and beat the livin stink out of teams during the regular season. 2004 iowa didnt belong on the same field as arizona st and won a big ten title. Same can be said for the 2009 team that needed a miracle to down uni. Don't overreact to one game. Did anyone get hurt? Nope. That will decide a lot for this team this season, how healthy can they stay.

that is great and all... but last i checked kirksey was 1'2" according to madden... zing.

On a more serious note, Iowa looks like this at the beginning of the season every freaking year. It is usually uneven and they struggle to find any consistency on offense. 2002 iowa and 2003 iowa barely eclipsed 20 points on miami of ohio and beat the livin stink out of teams during the regular season. 2004 iowa didnt belong on the same field as arizona st and won a big ten title. Same can be said for the 2009 team that needed a miracle to down uni. Don't overreact to one game. Did anyone get hurt? Nope. That will decide a lot for this team this season, how healthy can they stay.

Great post, agree with everything you said.

IT sure seems to me that every time we sneak by an opponent we use the "ultra conservative game plan or missed field goal here or missed assignment there line" at some point we just need to realize we are what we are. As of right now we are middle of the road BIG team until we win some games that matter. Nebraska has McNeese state this week at home. They are ranked 6 spots higher than NIU. I guess we will see how they compare to FCS competition at home like we did. I'm sorry but we didn't look like world beaters for some of the predictions we got from the national media. We looked average. Let's see if Nebraska stumbles like we did and I will feel more confident about our potential for being the best in the west.
Uh...I'm guessing they won't. They usually handle the teams they are supposed to.

All good points. Iowa is always vanilla in its first couple of games. Not that we will turn into a run 'n shoot during Week 3 but for the most part we are always conservative in the first couple of games.

I really do like our DLine ... and I do like our overall team speed. Porter (#10 I think) has some serious wheels. Would like to see more us get the ball in the hands of some of these guys and see what they can do.

One thing that does surprise me is Matt VB returning punts? Is that really our best option on punt return?

Overall, I still think this is a 9 or 10-win Iowa team that will continue to get better.
Kirk said he won it outright in the practices, and also mentioned McCarron when he returns. Maybe they don't want to risk KMM getting hurt, either.

If this happened in October or November you’d have a point. But expecting Ferentz coached teams to be in midseason form in August is setting yourself up for disappointment. Over the previous 5 season openers, we’ve averaged 26.6 pts/game and 3 of those opponents were FCS teams.

- honestly can anyone say that CD and LTP aren't one of the better Dtackle tandems that we have fielded? And the receivers may be the fastest and most athletic groups ever? Those two are facts and then you can couple that with the Oline strengths along with RB and QB depth has me excited!!

Christian Ballard and Karl Klug told me to say "HI", but you are right they are a good tandem.

Might I suggest a little more cautious optimism?

No, when you have 300 posts maybe, 3000 post and you might be taken lightly, 30,000 and you will make me a listener. Until then, don't bother posting crap like that.

Latest posts