Thoughts about tonight's epic game

I didn't DVR the game so I haven't seen it again, but just from a coaching perspective rarely will the safety be responsible for the QB. That's usually going to be a defensive end or LB...I am assuming our guy responsible for Cook got chopped down or logged.

You are most likely right, it just looked wrong with him running right by the ball carrier to get to a guy without the ball.

Here is my bonus #9

[video]https://vine.co/v/i7A9ZYbHKHY[/video]

Jewell was clearly held on this play for the winning MSU touchdown. #75 clearly tackles Jewell when he is trying to tackle the ball carrier. Should have been a 10 yard penalty there. Refs blew it.

Here is my bonus #9

[video]https://vine.co/v/i7A9ZYbHKHY[/video]

Jewell was clearly held on this play for the winning MSU touchdown. #75 clearly tackles Jewell when he is trying to tackle the ball carrier. Should have been a 10 yard penalty there. Refs blew it.

Actually saw alot of plays where our defense wasn't just being held but were flat out tackled. Sometimes multiple players in the same play.

It was a great season that wildly exceeded my expectations of 7-5 so considering that I really can't complain when looking at the season as a whole. It was the best season of Iowa football I've seen in my 53 years. However, when you have the chance to play for a national championship and come up 27 seconds short it's a real bummer. Iowa doesn't get those kind of opportunities very often; in fact this will probably be the only time I'll see them with that chance. A bit depressing to come so close and fail knowing you probably won't ever see it happen again. Any bowl game after this is pretty meaningless to me; the biggest game of the season has already been played, the bowl game will just be playing out the string with nothing at stake. I don't understand all of the angst about getting into the Rose Bowl. What difference does it make?

Anyone who thinks they can put another season like this one together next year is a bit delusional in my opinion. Iowa football doesn't do that. They may very well have a really good season next year but they aren't going to go into the Big Ten championship game undefeated again. This was a once in a lifetime chance for Iowa football.

But like I said when looking at the big picture you can't be disappointed because it's been a fantastic season for Iowa football and its fans.

It was a great season that wildly exceeded my expectations of 7-5 so considering that I really can't complain when looking at the season as a whole. It was the best season of Iowa football I've seen in my 53 years. However, when you have the chance to play for a national championship and come up 27 seconds short it's a real bummer. Iowa doesn't get those kind of opportunities very often; in fact this will probably be the only time I'll see them with that chance. A bit depressing to come so close and fail knowing you probably won't ever see it happen again. Any bowl game after this is pretty meaningless to me; the biggest game of the season has already been played, the bowl game will just be playing out the string with nothing at stake. I don't understand all of the angst about getting into the Rose Bowl. What difference does it make?

Anyone who thinks they can put another season like this one together next year is a bit delusional in my opinion.
Iowa football doesn't do that. They may very well have a really good season next year but they aren't going to go into the Big Ten championship game undefeated again. This was a once in a lifetime chance for Iowa football.

But like I said when looking at the big picture you can't be disappointed because it's been a fantastic season for Iowa football and its fans.

Especially when you consider, for 2016, we trade Maryland and Indiana for Penn State (there) and Michigan (home).

This year was the perfect storm. We should be in the playoffs.

QUOTE=HaydenHawk56;1476094]Iowa just has a problem with getting good teams off the field in big games. I remember being at Kinnick in 2010 with OSU. Third and long and they get it time after time. 2015 plays with more heart no doubt, but just getting teams off the field with 3rd and long in key situations in games. Iowa just seems to flounder here.[/QUOTE]

Allot of it is because we play ultra conservative on offense so the D often wears out at the end.

We also rarely sub on the d line.

Its really the same stuff thats always held Ferentz back from winning the big game.

He can't bring himself to just try to take the win on offense.

We did it early in the season but by the end it was back to the old punt and play defense mode.

QUOTE=tm3308;1476227]That wasn't the result of bend but don't break. Iowa consistently had guys in position to make the plays during the final drive, and Scott consistently managed to pick up the extra yards to get first downs and ultimately the touchdown.[/QUOTE]

Yep, Iowa was in position all day, but by the last drive MSU was simply getting ridiculous yac.

Thats why IMO the only way to win that was to let them score from the 3.

There was just no way we were stopping them at that point.

QUOTE=Seth53;1476462]#1--should have gone for it on 4th and 1.
#2--when it was looking like MSU would score, should have let them. We would have had 2 minutes to get a FG or TD.

We'll never know. Defense got worn out in the 3rd quarter and it showed at the end of the game. Offense needs to step up in 16.[/QUOTE]

Exactly correct on both points.

I actually thought he might go for it on that 4th and probably would have 6 weeks ago.

Tough loss. We had every opportunity to win and I doubt MSU wants a rematch. I thought every play the 2nd to last drive should have been CJ. If we score there we win. Why hand off to LD averaging 2 yards per carry when you have a superstar like CJ that can win the game? I think if we get the ball back with 2 minutes we probably win to. 22 seconds wasn't enough. That drive was 9:04 and 22 plays. Stop them on 4th down or anyone of 6 or 7 3rd downs and we probably win.

During the week I did not expect Iowa to win. Then yesterday, I had it in my mind that Iowa was gong to shread MSU. Oh well.

1. The defense played awesome except for getting tired at the end.
2. The lack of offense in the first three quarters led to number 1 happening.
3. The fluke interception in the end zone was crazy, but I don't think it was an illegal hit on our receiver.
4. The penalty on Vandenburg was big as it looked like a sure touchdown.
5. Canzeri getting hurt was big and certainly helped lead to number 2 happening.
6. Really wish Lomax would have taken Cook on that option instead of running right by him to cover the RB on that 4th and 2.
7. Hindsight, but would have liked to seen a fake punt on the last one. No one would have expected Kirk to do it, Kidd had not been great (only put them on the 18 with like a 35 yard punt) and we only needed two yards. At least give Koehn the option of faking or his rugby kick which might have rolled in deeper.
8. Would have also liked to have seen more Jerminic Smith to try and help stretch the field at the same time as Tevaun Smith.

Overall great game. An instant classic. Kids played their hearts out. They gave us a magical season that will hopefully end with a bowl win.

I think #3 was the biggest play of the game. If it had hit the ground, we kick for 3 points; if it is caught we get 7. Totally changes the game. It was a fluke play that you may never see again in any football game. That time the ball bounced to MSU.

If Scott would have fumbled before reaching the goal line and Iowa recovered to win everyone would be saying how great the defense was to deny MSU a score. There was very little difference between two good teams yesterday and it came down to Iowa not getting the ball last. With the benefit of hindsight you can always see what should have been done and where we could have won. Could have let MSU score and still had 2 minutes for CJ to get a TD or a FG to tie, for example. But Iowa has also stopped teams from getting into the end zone in games like this before, so you can't argue the strategy. Giving up easy points is not in our DNA.

I feel really bad for the players as they gave a huge effort last night and deserved to win as much as MSU. I thought CJ played a great game and so much love having him as our QB. Nothing but pride for me in how this team performed all year and yesterday. GO HAWKS!!

Spot on man! If you truly have a problem with last nights game and think that it set our program back or something like that you should stop being an Iowa fan. There is something very wrong with you. You'd have to be a completely negative person to not be able to see that this was a great game played by two great teams. It is so sad to see some of the responses from some people on here. Some of must be completely miserable people.

1st, I want to say how proud I am of the players and staff, great year, yes that loss really hurt. We had every chance to win the game, the ball just didn't bounce our way or we didn't make the right plays on offense mainly. I don't think you can ask the defense to play any better than they did. So if we don't go for it on 4th which I wish we did. But I can see KF asking for the D to get it done, as they had play well all game, but were clearly gassing out. I wish they had run blitz on that final drive, and plus 1, they should have been substituting the D line out more often. Those guys played their hearts out. Josey Jewell was blatantly held on the last play. Man I was hoping King had one more big turnover in him, we needed it.

also like to add, the run game is what got us to 12-0, I think we abandoned it too soon, where was the ISO play with the FB? Wadley would have broken one eventually, he is a star in the making, his quick juke reminds me alot of tavian banks

I agree 100%. I love what Norm Parker did for this program and that Phil Parker has done this season. But this is where the bend but don't break comes back to kill you. Good teams will take what you give them. Good teams are patient and will wear that strategy down. And when the opponent has a good OL, QB, and D, thats just a bad combo for a bend but don't break.

Iowa's D left it all out of the field tonight but they were just out there too much. Part of that is the offense. Part of that is their strategy. Its given Iowa so many wins over the years and sometimes against good teams. But you saw it many times in 2010 and tonight. Good teams can exploit it.
Except we didn't really bend. We were very stout

Anyone who thinks they can put another season like this one together next year is a bit delusional in my opinion. Iowa football doesn't do that. They may very well have a really good season next year but they aren't going to go into the Big Ten championship game undefeated again. This was a once in a lifetime chance for Iowa football.

I actually think we have a chance to be really good next year. We've got CJ coming back and that's key. Vandebergs back. Ott and King are real wild cards. LBs should be better, only losing Fischer. Need to replace RG and C but I'm betting the line will be better in pass protection.

I was thinking I'd feel ok if Iowa put up a good fight, but came up short. However, considering they held Cook down about as well as anyone could have hoped for and only gave up 16 points, it's pretty disappointing Iowa still lost. I know MSU has a good defense, but they aren't world-beaters. Nebby scored 39 points on these guys. Only managing 13 points is a real downer. I thought both Nebby and Sparty were supposed to be a bit weak in the secondary, but there wasn't a lot of attacking downfield from Iowa in either game. I only remember three deep passes against MSU, and two of them had a good result.

Latest posts