Those who follow closely

HAWKEYES6

Can McDonough win it all. I love watching him wrestle. I do not know about the other ranked ahead of him as I only watch when Iowa is on TV. I was wondering from those in the know, what type of chance he has. How old are the other ranked wrestlers ahead of him?

Simply yes he can, BUT... he is a freshmen and that is a small club. Escobedo, and Nickerson both have NC's already to their names and are both shut down type wrestlers that McD hasn't seen yet.
Robles can give anyone a lot of trouble and Andrew Long may be 0-3 against him so far but the matches have been entertaining and gotten closer.

So, yes he can, but it will take one hell of a tournament from him.

Yes, he can it will be tough given the fact Nickerson and Escobedo each have already won 1. Anyone can be beat on any given day look what happened last year with Metcalf.

He has never wrestled Robles, who may give him trouble due to his strength and different wrestling style.

125lb is a tough weight class and everybody has a legitimate shot! strength is gonna be a big issue here in regards to cutting weight and pure brut strength

i would put money on mcd getting to finals and depending on the oppenent due to style will be the deciding factor. i believe skill wise he is one of the best out there but the different styles might throw him off that he doesn't see normally in the big 10

He's wrestled guys in the room everyday for two years like Terry Brands! When he steps on the mat with Escobedo, etc. it'll be a step down from the guys he squares off with in the room.

He's wrestling with the confidence that he believes he'll win it all. I'm definitely believing in him.

I think his length will really help with the arm strength of the other guys. As long as he can get past the head hands defense and get on a leg he will win it everytime. I dont remember any time this year where he wasnt able to finish once he got in on a single.

McD is a very special Hawkeye. Even more amazing than his ability is his attitude of constant improvement. Esco is healthy and tough. T-Nick's been injured, so he may not be at 100% for Nationals, but he has great skills and talent. And yes, Robles is one tough 125 lber with a 157 lber's upper body. Any of these guys is big problem, but I'm confident that McD can give any of these dudes a real battle.
Best of all, is that McD wrestles the WHOLE 7 minutes, just the way we like it in Iowa. I'm not saying he's guaranteed to win the whole enchilada this year, but he won't lose to anyone twice in his college career. Ever.
So Terry, keep hammering on McD in practice just like you've been doing. Matt will go into the Big Tens and Nationals meaner than a junkyard dog.

Latest posts